SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Fender Classic Player - Sonic Blue - £500 shipped - GONE

What's Hot
Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
edited May 2022 in Guitars £
**Gone - part-ex'd**

Hi, I'm likely going to be trading this in and offering it up here in the first instance as it might appeal to someone here.

I made a couple of posts previously about this guitar as it came to me (used) with a nut that had been butchered, a couple of slightly raised frets (apparently), a couple of dodgy saddles and needed a bit of work. Rather than instantly return it I made a decision to try and sort it which, with hindsight, was probably the wrong move. I sent it to a tech who sorted the nut, levelled the frets, did some general tidying up on it. Despite paying a fairly premium price for the fret levelling I'd say he did a fairly average job - not bad a bad job... he probably made it bit better but wasn't the job I was expecting for what he charged. The saddles were replaced with block type as I prefer those under the palm.

I was lucky enough to get a chap from here (who's an absolute gent) to fettle it a bit and he has got it close to a half decent playing guitar. The G string is bit rattle-y and zingy, although it does ring out, not choke and doesn't carry through amplified. It's a little bit buzzier than I'd like... although not significantly. If you play with a lighter touch than me, and are maybe just less fussy then you could potentially think it's great and I'm an idiot... which is fine too

The good -
  • It's fairly light (7lbs 14oz)
  • Nice and resonant
  • Very good cosmetic condition (just a couple of marks photographed) and a pretty guitar
  • Pickups sound nice
  • Actually plays ok - set up on the low side of medium
  • Neck seems fairly straight
  • Smooth trem (I think the trem block was replaced with an upgraded one but it just looks like any old trem block to me)
If I was keeping it I'd send it to one of the forum favourites to do a proper level/profile and whatever else it needs to get it where I'd like it but at some point it's time to move it on. One of you who does your own work might be able to spend some time doing it yourself, in which case great. There's arguably nothing 'wrong' with it whatsoever at the moment beyond not being able to get the action really low and buzz free but, again, to someone less fussy or someone more skilled it might not be a problem at all. I've had much worse guitars with all sorts of issues that weren't disclosed so I'd just rather be as frank as I can. I could easily play/gig it as is now but I'd just not as I prefer others I've got.

I've been offered £500 trade in for it so if someone here wants it for that they can have it. I've seen them go used in decent nick for between £500 and £700, usually around the 600-650 mark. Collection from near Cambridge so you can plug it in and make sure you're happy. Any questions, please holler.

Edit - I've now got a box so can ship it. Happy to cover that so £500 to your door. Cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 506
    I have a classic player 60s just like this one. Awesome guitar. Funny enough, it also had a problem with the nut, which came to me (used) looking like it had been carved with a blunt spoon! I'm assuming the previous owner did something, as I couldn't see it leaving the factory like that. String spacing all over the show. Has a pin straight neck and plays beautifully. Good luck with the sale, someone will get a great strat here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Small bump before it goes off for trade in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom