Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited June 2022
    I'm pretty confident I've never heard any of them.

... I was wrong.  Licensed to Ill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    See below for my list of the 20 greatest hip-hop albums of all time. 

• I’ve heard about 27ish. Surprised Wu-Tang Forever isn’t there, well I didn’t see it, a total classic.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Scrolling down on my phone isn't much fun. I got as far as 200 to 140 and recognized Childish Gambino, The Roots and The Streets. I was hoping for a smattering of miscategorised Jamaican dancehall as they are including some UK rap but I didn't spot any. 

Right...cheated and googled the top results. I have heard of most of the artists in the top 50 but Lauryn Hill is the only one I've heard a whole album by. I'd say she isn't typical hip hop but clearly I'm not the most informed person to say.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    It's a genre I don't like at all. As usual with this sort of list I just whipped to the top 20 to see where the real class was, and I was surprised to find that I had an album on the list! (Lauryn Hill, but it was £1 from a charity shop!). Nothing there looked interesting until I saw Outkast, I have liked some of their stuff.

I can't see the name Kanye West without thinking "tit" and I can't see the name Jay Z without thinking "wanker". In all fairness they's probably say the same of me.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    Not read the click bait article.

Can't pretend to be especially interested in Hip-Hop as a genre. I'm more interested in the drum machines and samplers.

Are Buckshot LeFonque on the list? They touch on Hip-Hop and other dance music styles but still manage to play melodies and riffs.
    Be seeing you.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    I think I own around 30 of them but it’s one of my favourite genres. 

As a kid it was the first ‘proper’ (outside of commercial pop) musical style I liked. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

There's a strong temptation to just say meh, it's all shite, who cares etc... but it's not very constructive.

I guess the truth is, not many of us on here are into hip-hop, that's just a fact. 

If anyone is really into it (like @CHRISB50), it would be interesting to know what they think of this list.  I suspect it's a bit like their "100 greatest guitarists" or "100 greatest rock albums" - a lot of shite just to wind people up and try to look cool and clever.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited June 2022
    I see hip-hop like any other genre, it's very diverse and there are some artists or styles I like a lot, and some I don't at all. 

I'm in my mid 40's and it just feels part of my musical furniture and always has been really (though I struggle with some of the newer styles and the more 'bling' stuff). It was there when I was young, with Walk This Way and Run DMC,and the more commercial late 80's stuff ( I used to love the Fat Boys!). Then I heard Public Enemy, saw Cypress Hill, Ice T and Ice Cube at Reading Festival. When I went to University though, I got into it way more, discovered the Wu-Tang Clan and the many offshoots, Gangstarr, Rakim, Mosdef, Jurassic 5, Tribe Called Quest, DJ Shadow, I prefer the more jazzy and 'intelligent' rappers, such as Blackalicious, Guru etc. Anything to do with DJ Premier (of Gangstarr) is always gold. J Dilla too. 

Over lockdown I investigated and really got into Dr Dre, NWA, Snoop Dog etc etc, which I'd never got into before, preferring East Coast style. Also I got into Nas' Illmatic - which I think could well be the finest hip-hop album ever. 

As for current stuff, Little Simz and Loyle Carner are excellent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I cannot abide Rolling Stone and their attitude of "let us educate you poor clueless fools on what you should be listening to".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    There's a strong temptation to just say meh, it's all shite, who cares etc... but it's not very constructive.

I guess the truth is, not many of us on here are into hip-hop, that's just a fact. 

If anyone is really into it (like @CHRISB50), it would be interesting to know what they think of this list.  I suspect it's a bit like their "100 greatest guitarists" or "100 greatest rock albums" - a lot of shite just to wind people up and try to look cool and clever.
    It's too dependent on personal taste and what styles you like within hip-hop to make a definitive list. Jay-Z will always be high up, but I'd never listen to him. Never listened to the no.1 on the list, Notorious B.I.G... I've been put off by his association with Puff Daddy... I've just put it on and it's sounding gooood. 

There's plenty of quality stuff in that 200, and plenty of stuff I've not heard of to investigate, can't really argue with it as someone's personal list, apart from not including my two best albums, Wu Tang Forever and Gangstarr's Moment of Truth. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    Philly_Q said:

Indeed some already have! It's a guitar forum though, so it's understandable.

@Philly_Q true. It’s a bit like the other lists you mention. I like the stuff I like. Those are pretty much the albums I own (even some of them I don't like anymore). 

A lot of the rest I’ve heard of, or heard, but not my cuppa. That's my own personal taste though. I'd probably replace some of it with stuff I actually like, but then it becomes my own top 200.

For example, I've never liked West Coast rap, I'm not into Notorious BIG, rated the Wu Tang spin off's more than the stuff they did together, and I've never really liked Nas as a solo artist. 

It looks to be a relatively standard list of the stuff I'd expect to see.

There’s stuff not in the list (or at least I didn't notice) that I would include. There's loads of stuff I wouldn't personally put in, but can understand why it's there.

I was quite surprised to see The Streets. As it's an American list I didn't realise he was even known over there, let alone rated. That album has a very British sound to it.

I'm 43 so similar age to @MagicPigDetective. Fairly similar tastes too.

My first love were De La Soul. I was fascinated with turntables when I was a kid, and liked the fact you could manipulate the sound, just by touching the record. 

I've always been more into the DJ / production side than the actual vocals / rapping.

I went down the turntablism 
    (shred for DJ's) rabbit hole for a few years so a lot of my taste is more along those lines, but quite niche for a list like this.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I've heard quite a few of them. I have a preference for 80s and 90s stuff due to my age. I like identifying the samples on the stuff done before clearance was a thing ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Philly_Q said:

It's too dependent on personal taste and what styles you like within hip-hop to make a definitive list. Jay-Z will always be high up, but I'd never listen to him. Never listened to the no.1 on the list, Notorious B.I.G... I've been put off by his association with Puff Daddy... I've just put it on and it's sounding gooood. 

There's plenty of quality stuff in that 200, and plenty of stuff I've not heard of to investigate, can't really argue with it as someone's personal list, apart from not including my two best albums, Wu Tang Forever and Gangstarr's Moment of Truth. 
    Glad you are enjoying it @MagicPigDetective It is a fantastic album. ‘Everyday Struggle’ is probably my favourite track from it. 

Overall I was really surprised that there was no Tupac/2Pac in the top 10. But yeah I really like these lists in general (Album of the year lists etc.) they are always good for a bit of a debate.

duotone said:
    Overall I was really surprised that there was no Tupac/2Pac in the top 10. 

That struck me after I read the list, but I couldn't be bothered to go back again and see if he had stuff further down the list.

I don't know his music at all, but he seems to be the hip-hop equivalent of the Ramones, or Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain - I see a lot of people with Tupac T-shirts or paraphernalia although I think he's been dead quite a while now.
    Philly_Q said:
    duotone said:
    Overall I was really surprised that there was no Tupac/2Pac in the top 10. 

That struck me after I read the list, but I couldn't be bothered to go back again and see if he had stuff further down the list.

I don't know his music at all, but he seems to be the hip-hop equivalent of the Ramones, or Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain - I see a lot of people with Tupac T-shirts or paraphernalia although I think he's been dead quite a while now.
    Yeah there were 2 Tupac albums in the list:

134) 2Pac, ‘Me Against the World’ (1995)
    29) 2Pac, ‘All Eyez on Me’ (1996)

Tbh all of Tupac’s (5 albums) https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/2pac & The Notorious BIG (2 albums) https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the-notorious-b_i_g  albums that they made during their lifetimes are well worth a listen.  The posthumous releases in both cases outweigh the number of albums released while they were alive.

This Greatest Hits album is an excellent introduction to Tupac https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/2pac/greatest-hits/

Tupac died 13th September 1996 & The Notorious BIG died 9th March 1997. Thank you Google!

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    I'm interested enough in hip hop to have heard 29 of the top 50 and 41 of the top 100.  Not enough of an aficionado to have an informed opinion about whether it's a good list. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Rating Drake higher than Eric B and Rakim is like rating Joe Bonamassa higher than Muddy Waters or the like. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:
    Rating Drake higher than Eric B and Rakim is like rating Joe Bonamassa higher than Muddy Waters or the like. 
    Indeed, I just cannot get my head round that style, trap, autotune etc. I'm firmly stuck in the classic 80's and 90's eras... or artistes that retain the musicality of those times 
    edited June 2022
    I'm interested enough in hip hop to have heard 29 of the top 50 and 41 of the top 100.  Not enough of an aficionado to have an informed opinion about whether it's a good list. 
    @Blueingreen ;;
    I think you are the most qualified person on here to give their opinion tbh!

I’ll have a check through and see how many I’ve heard.

edit:
    1-50 - 26
    51-100 - 15
    101-150 - 15
    151-200 - 5