Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• TTony said:

Q1:  Where did you username come from? From the excellent sitcom 'Father Ted'

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Dover, Kent, UK (far enough from Margate to be safe)

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? None, really - I just noodle away at home

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? A cheapo acoustic I was given nearly forty years ago - probably not the best, but it's the one I wouldn't be without

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just my usual online I'd
    Hastings
    The perfect guitar sound
    Ebo  bass
    Something by zappa, no floyd, no the the
     no sabbath, no zeppelin I have problems committing...
  • I started to build guitars 3 years ago by accident, having been a passionately bad guitarist for over 40 years, and a passionately good buyer and seller of 'stuff' in the never ending quest to be a better guitarist. One day I took down a thin line I'd put together and always hated, so decided to make it better, and having mullered the body, thought it looked quite cool, and discovered that years of tinkering had created a pretty good understanding of what to do, and bam, I'd really improved it, and loved doing it.

Bought some wood, and went from there, and since my wife calls me her Bear, svelte I am not!, it seems the logical name to go with.

i live outside Milton Abbas in Dorset, and have just finished building a new Bear Cave to make my mess in, at the end of the garden so no-one can hear me scream, or play

i have my own, particular style of playing and for a while, played live and sang in a band of grumpy old men, which I loved, I do still hanker after being a songwriter, and one day might find someone with real talent to do it with, and hide behind their luminescence

its very hard when you build guitars to let them go, but I have to or my wall would fall over, so I've stuck with quite an early build as my personal No 1, and I am actually a little bit in love with it

my musical journey has been huge, my first 2 albums were Whos Next and the Yes Album, set up a massive divergent wide musical explosion that is still going on. In the spirit of Mary Poppins my favourite track, with hundreds missing, would be

WhippingpostwontgetfooledagainheartofthesunrisemusicalboxcopperheadroadTravellingaloneDrivehometheend

um, apologies to the hundreds of other amazing artists whose music I enjoy

if you've reached the end of this tedious monologue, www.bearguitars.co.uk is the place to visit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Welcome @bearguitars - the Made in the UK section is the place to go to post some pics of your works (and be ready for the feedback!)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Hiya

How do I post photos, I live on an iPad Pro now, can't find a way to bring them across?
  • LaGartonLaGarton Frets: 3
    Hi all, I'm Lloyd and only been learning guitar since August last year when I bought my first guitar with my first properly taxed paycheck!
    Simply my initials and my surname. Keeping things simple here...
    I'm on the coast in Hampshire, you can think of anywhere but for god sake not Portsmouth!
    I'd love to be able to play psychobilly/ rock and roll style guitar and maybe some punk...first I got to learn chords
    I'd have to save my gorgeous Freshman renegade.
    Tough question but it has to be I wont pay you price-Motorhead
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225

Q1:  An old nickname from years ago.

Q2:  I'm between Manchester and Hessle (Hull) dependent on the day of the week.

Q3:  I just want to play as well as I can.

Q4:  A strange one, Primetone picks.  I love them, totally have changed everything for me.

Q5:  Partita in C Minor BWV 997

• Hi from this newbie :-)

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Ges is my nickname. I've wanted a Les Paul since I was about 12. I'm 96 (not really).

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Lancashire.....but born in Yorkshire. Blame Thatcher and corporate organisations.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be good enough to play to people !

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My Les Paul :-)

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Early Morning Dew by Aynsley Lister.

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574

Q1:  Where did you username come from? I can't remember where it came from but originally I used it in some games then in various forums and I'm used to it now.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? South East London UK. Though originally french.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? The ability to re arrange tunes on the fly on the piano, and improvise in jazz/blues/fusion styles on the guitar

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Overall my Musicman Axis Super Sport. But for my current playing style my Pacifica 611 HFM.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Chopin's Grande Valse Brillante op 34 n 1 :)

• naetharunaetharu Frets: 1

Hi folks, 

I've just found these forums and thought I would join up and see what's going on. So with that in mind here is my introduction.

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Naetharu is a made-up handle that I used for years online. I don't actually recall where it started but it's proven to be a very useful one as it's generally unique to me across all platforms. Nothing special there I guess, just my name when you find me online. It's ended up being something that people know me as in actual life too.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

I'm currently living and working in Essex. My band is based in Colchester and we gig around Essex and the surrounding counties.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Hard to say what my main one is; I guess to write and perform good music but that sounds very hand-wavey and general. Right now I am focused very much on learning to play lead guitar (I'm a bass player first and foremost) and so getting my hands moving on the high-notes is really where I'm spending my time. Slow progress but it is coming.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

My bass guitar, which is a custom build from the Mensinger luthiers in Poland. It has the rough shape of a Fender Jazz but it's got a lot of different features. Quilted maple top, hip-shot hardware, Delano's MM-style humbucker in the bridge, 24 frets (25 really as it has a zero fret) and a load of other stuff. I got to choose exactly what I wanted so it's the perfect bass for me. The only time I have found something that has completely (well almost) removed my GAS for other bits of gear of that type.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Almost impossible to choose, but I am going to go for L'Via by the Mars Volta. It has that explosive introduction by John Frusciante, a really nice latin feel, some cool tempo and time-signature changes and just top-notch performance throughout.

• sidekicksidekick Frets: 13
    Hi all ...  =)

Just to introduce myself.

Seen various discussion on The Fretboard come up on some internet searches and looking a friendly place, thought I would join up.

My username came from the original 'monkeh' ITV Digital Monkey TV advert who then got drafted into PG Tips ... and as 'sidekick' also has a friendly buddy type association, thought I'd embrace as my guitar forum username.

Live in North London UK

No main musical ambition now as such, (in my 60's) other than to simply enjoy the various aspects of what knowing about, playing and owning a guitar can give. ... Never, (I feel) too old to learn as well.

My 'best' bit of gear is the guitar in my avatar pic ... A Gustavsson Bluesmaster.

As for the # 1 ever track, a difficult one. But the one that comes to mind, is, 'The Supernatural' by Peter Green when he was in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers '66/'67 ... Some say it's the purest sound  to have come from a Gibson Les Paul, although whether so or not, to my ear it's pretty 'ethereal'... Great control and 'touch'. Limited effects, (by today's standards) back then as well.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizzleRockerBrizzleRocker Frets: 25
    edited March 2017

I live in Bristol and love rock.  I've been learning guitar for over 25 years and playing in bands for the past 17. I've got a day job and kids but still managed to fit in about 50 gigs last year!

Bristol, UK.

I love gigging but would love to play some bigger venues. I headlined a festival a few years back so more of that!

My Les Paul, part of me.

Pearl Jam, Alive. It didn't start me playing guitar but just has everything a song needs.

• -Ed--Ed- Frets: 28
    /waves/
    Not my real name. iron maiden fan - lack of imagination years ago and have stuck with it for consistency...

uk/kenteshire

to find similar middle aged dad rockers with little talent, ambition and taste in music to jam with :)

my my first half decent guitar - Jackson dk1

iron maiden hallowed be thy name

• LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    I think it was a woolworths special.Bought S/H £25 1971 a week late a classical for £5.00

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save?  
    I would have to say the most valuable at the time.If now prob. 1962 fender.
     4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire?  
    I have been thinking on a 7/8 classical guitar
     5:What strings do you use? 
     Varies 9-42 on electrics,10-47 on acoustics.Lightest the guitar will take!
     6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? 
     The player for sure.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? 
    In my gigging days.Planning a quick exit /way out.

8: ...And five minutes after? 
    Find a drink.

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? 
     Nearly being pulled off by some P*** head!

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar?
    ENJOY,ENJOY!!

• LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    Hi 
      I tend to lurk in a few forums have visited here many times!

My dear parents
    UK Leicester
    My shark tuner!
    "Blue suede shoes"............Got me playing the guitar!
  • tralfamadantralfamadan Frets: 31
    edited March 2017
    Hello all.

The name of a fictional alien race created by Kurt Vonnegut that can see in four dimensions, merged with my own name. So it goes.

East London, UK.

At the moment I am learning to sight-read in the hopes that one day I'll be able to play the Agustín Barrios sheet music books that have been gathering dust on my shelves for some time.

At the moment it's my American Standard Telecaster. I go through phases of loathing it and loving it. Got it back in 2004.

Tough. This is a forum about guitars though so I'll go with something with a good solo:
    Death Don't Have No Mercy (Live The Filmore West San Fran 1969) - Grateful Dead

• ArtsutanovArtsutanov Frets: 61
    edited April 2017

Q1:  Where did you username come from? From a Graphic Novel, called 'Tour of the Universe'.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? East London.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be a small part of (Techno) music history. 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Hopefully my forthcoming MPC Live.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Peace for Thought, by Russ Gabriel

• Hello new friends!
    did my first gig on drums at 13
    learned guitar 2 years later ..... 40 years ago
    been playing blues harmonica for the last 8 years

• phreniczphrenicz Frets: 0
    Hey up buttercups! 

My band mates... One minute I'm entirely satisfied with the current guitars/gear I own - Giving it the old 'yep! That's it, found THE guitar, i'll never sell this!!' Only for it to end up with a new owner 6 months down the line! I cannot even count the amount of times I've changed from 'Single coils only', to full on 'humbucker central'.. Which usually entails a brand new batch of pedals and some new amps!! It annoys the hell out of me, but I'm sure you can all relate to some degree! ; ) 

Sunny Lancashire 

To get out there, gigging the music I've been creating and crafting for the last 6 years!!! I have been saying this every one of those 6 years though, but those years keep racking up don't they!! 

My Fender Custom Shop Mischief Maker in black over 3 colour sunburst A definite keeper!!

I'd have to go with 'Roads' by Portishead

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Hello guys! PonchoGreg here, (way belatedly) made it across from the old forum. Pleased to see you all here.

Q1, username:  My first name can be shortened to Greg, and the Poncho bit came from the 80s classic Predator. My best mate and I used to find a particular bit of dialogue hilarious and we could quote the whole thing verbatim. He was Billy, I was Poncho. Somehow it has stuck for the past 15 years.

Q2, location:  South London, Crystal Palace (not a football fan so no jokes needed).

Q3, musical ambition: Very very limited. Enjoy cool tones, play the blues (badly) and more generally anything that catches my fancy at any given time.

Q4, best gear: Really tough one. Toss up between my MIJ Tokai LP and my Deluxe Reverb.

Q5, Track: Another very tough one. Funny enough most of my favs wouldn't be primarily guitar-based. Gun to my head, I'd probably have to say Aretha Franklin's cover of Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom