Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• Hi, new member here!

My name is Olly, I’m 29 and play guitar for a living. I live on a fruit farm in Kent and have an obsession with Stratocasters! Love buying/selling/trading to add something extra to gigs every week, plus learning how to recreate sounds and the connection between guitar, pedal and amplifier and they all affect the other.

Q1 - one of my favourite guitar players is called Isaiah Sharkey and I also play for a London based artist called Sharky.

Q2 - Kent, UK

Q3 - Big tours for some amazing Americana acts, also just becoming as good as possible at playing the guitar.

Q4 - Carr Slant 6V

Q5 - Long Distance Love - Little Feat

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hello, Introducing myself to y'all

My name is Murray and I am a keen amateur guitarist from Surrey. Been playing for about 15 years. Full time job and fatherhood have limited my musical development but have more time these days....

Q1 - Name was what my guitar teacher called me due to my love of minor blues

Q2 - Surrey UK, near Guildford

Q3 - Really just to play with other musicians - I have been in the garage on my tod for too long!

Q4 - SVL '61 Reserve

Q5 - 'Gravity' from Where the Light is...Anyone who has seen John Mayer live will know what I mean
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi,

I always end up on this forum when researching guitars or amps, so I thought it was time to join. Nice that it's UK based too.

Q1:  My username came from my parents.

Q2:  I'm in Gloucestershire, UK, via south Wales.

Q3:  My musical ambition is to 'see' the fretboard..

Q4:  My Custom Shop Broadcaster was silly money but I've not regretted it once.

Q5:  I'm an album person really but today I'll say 'Anthem' by Harvey Milk from The Kelly Sessions album.

• RnRDRnRD Frets: 2
    Hello!

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

My user name is a reference to my previous user name here - RocknRollDave*

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

West Midlands, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

I'd love to write my own songs, but failing that I would love to get together a jam band that covers the likes of Gov't Mule, Black Crowes etc

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

I do love my MiM Tele, even if I am sulking with it because it is currently  unplayable until I have it refretted.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Impossible to say, but I'll go with Remedy by Black Crowes today.

* So, why did I leave and why am I back?

I left because I found myself on here, and posting on here, more out of habit than because I had anything to contribute of value. 

I have re-joined because of late there I have found myself pondering a number of gear-related questions for which the FB is a huge fount of knowledge, and I have missed being able to drink at that fountain.

By the way, since we last spoke I have retrained as a primary school teacher. That's just a random fact I thought I would share with you. 

Peace,

Dave

xxx 

• Jesus, joined on a Sunday and banned by Monday. lol That must be record.
  • Hottubes said:
    Jesus, joined on a Sunday and banned by Monday. lol That must be record.
    nope

• RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    Dave wasn’t banned. We simply reopened his original account, and closed the new one.

As for records, we’ve banned people within seconds.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Apologies all, I didn’t realise that I could reactivate my old account on here. 

No deception intended.

• Cig35Cig35 Frets: 62

From a boat I'm in the process of restoring trying to make it look like new, a Cigarette 35 Mistress -82

Stockholm, Sweden

I'm playing mainly for my own well-being and to be able to relax mentally

Probably an old Sigma hollow-body, I don't even have a clue what model it is even after trying to find out by searching the internet

Only one, then it has to be a classical one, Adagio in G minor by Albinoni (or at least claimed to be by him)

• DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    Hello...I'm DrumBob from New Jersey, USA, I have been a pro drummer and guitarist since the late 60's, a music journalist, author of the book, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties," radio DJ, music publicist and some say, a music industry insider, although I'd dispute that. I'll play long with the 10 questions.

1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?

It was the lowest quality Teisco single pickup electric. I paid $15 for it. As I was enamored of Pete Townshend and The Who at that moment, it met an ignominious end, smashed into ,any pieces on our basement tile floor. 

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save?
    Hard to say. Perhaps my favorite Rickenbacker 330-12 string.

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own?
    A 1929 National Triolian steel body resonator. 

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire?
    Perhaps a Firebird.

5: What strings do you use?
    D'Addario Nickel, 10-46

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be?
    Nothing really.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage?
    Sitting on my drum stool. surveying the crowd. 

8: ...And five minutes after?
    Saying hello to friends who came to the gig. 

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage?
    An asthma attack. 

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar?
    Take lessons!

USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
  • Hi! My digital name's taken from an old Irish tale . I'm a guitar-playing, vinyl loving senior citizen based in West Sussex.

Guitars have been in my life ever since I listened to players like Jeff Beck, Jan Akkerman, Bert Jansch, Steve Hackett and James Patrick Page. I enjoy sketching musical ideas and exploring the creative possibilities of Ableton, although my playing was hit by the onset of focal dystonia in my right-hand. No more finger-picking or complex plectrum work.

So I've adapted to and embrace, a more fluid and loose style. In terms of musical ambition, for me it's about  expression and composing ideas, seeing what's possible and being sometimes surprised by the results. I have recently bought a very beautiful Schecter C1Exotic that I'm loving getting used to and looking to replace a Faith Nexus Neptune electro-acoustic.

Impossible for me to select one favourite track, far too many masterpieces :)

I look forward to connecting with fellow guitarists here, reading and sharing ideas.
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Lancashire after the local tv comedian Jimmy Clitheroe who I can only just remember. The number is just to make it unique for t'internet.

Elgin, Morayshire. Scotland that is.

Just to get the notes right and to eventually be not to lazy to actually practice to achieve this.

Ouch. I hate everything I own but if I trade it in the perfection will be affordable (not). Today it's my Fender Bassbreaker but tomorrow......

Emerald off Live and Dangerous. Stupid question. On the other hand I couldn't live without ....(slaps hand over mouth)

It's a nickname I've had for years, real name is Kevin, became kevlar and morphed into 'the lar'

Evesham, Worcestershire

To improve and be comfortable playing in front of others. Would love to find a jam buddy!

Don't own a lot yet,

To play probably Here Comes the Sun by George Harrison

• BonzoBonzo Frets: 2

Its been my nickname since I went to school.

I left Wolverhampton to come & live on the beautiful Isle of Man with my family in 1993.

Just to be able to enjoy what I'm playing.

Hmm. Probably my Martin 000-18 Golden Era.

That changes along with my mood. Right now at the time of joining, I'm gonna go with Something from Abbey Road.

• NatwanNatwan Frets: 1
    Evening all
    Q1 an old supplier who’s from Thailand couldn’t pronounce my name properly (Nathan), so Natwan became a nickname at work, the olds found it funny...
    Q2 Brummigem
    Q3 to play well the tunes I’ve grown up with, it’s a long way off at present
    Q4 My Cabronita Tele made by J Davey who makes teles for one of my hero’s. History right there
    Q5 Down Down Quo
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1037

I'm Paul and bigger than average

Inverkip, Scotland.

To be a more thoughtful player instead of just noodling.

I have a one in a million Martin D-16GT from 2006 that is getting better and better with age. It sounds better than most standard series guitars I have played.

Tricky.... It changes all the time, but "Raspberry Beret" is always in my top 3 favourite songs at any one time.

It's obviously an utterly hilarious pun, combining my name with those highly desirable yet unobtainable and irresponsibly expensive guitar amps. HAHAHA. Please don't look at me like that, picking a username is hard okay?

London, UK. Originally Bath, but have been here nearly 10 years 

To enjoy it. And play more with others. And more in general. And to headline the Pyramid stage before I hit 27. Being in my 30s now, that's going to be a challenge.

I accidentally came into possession of a Gibson Les Paul, after an online delivery mix up. The store asked if I wanted to keep it, and made an offer I couldn't refuse. It's a 2015 'Less Plus', so has body chamfer, a fretboard wide enough to bend a note further than you can with a floyd rose, and has the robot tuning pegs, so it is something of an oddball - but is an astonishingly well made piece of kit that is a privilege to play. 

Right now, I'd probably pick "Cold little heart" by Michael Kiwanuka. It's glorious. But ask me tomorrow, or any day, and I'll give you a different answer.
  • Hi all,

Deep Stream here. I am enjoying listening to members' tracks. My particular listening interest is in "modern" jazz and jazz fusion but my own writing is more on the melodic side with a variety of influences. I am afraid I am a "slowy" - my fingers won't move as fast as lighting so I am in awe of some of the players on this site. But I am happy with my more sedate style of playing and writing.

Q1: I created my username to try to reflect the (mysterious) depths from which I have managed to create quite a lot of tunes since starting to play the guitar in the 1960s.

Q2: I live in Hertfordshire, UK.

Q3: My main musical ambition for the past few years has been to record and make available all (or at least many) of my tunes. Why? Because I feel I have to! I have managed to get 65 tracks so far onto SoundCloud.

Q4: My "best" bit of gear is my Roland VS1880 Digital Studio Workstation which has been the central part of my recording set-up for 20 years. But (as anyone will hear if they listen to my tracks) I am no sound engineer and have to hope that the tunes are strong enough to make up to some degree for the wavering production standard.

Q5: If I have to make a choice of my #1 ever track I will go for "Paraphernalia" on "Miles In The Sky" by Miles Davis with wonderful guitar playing by George Benson.

• Hello there,

Bit of a long time lurker here i'm afraid. Very much enjoy the forum though and hoping to contribute to the positive vibes. 

Q1: Username is mostly my name... minus a few letters

Q2:  Lived in London 10 years now but grew up south Manchester though, so CTID! 

Q3:  Ambition... is to stop getting GAS and pick up that damn guitar more often. I'm out of practice and my calluses are of poor standard. 

Q4:  Best bit of gear is probably an original Marshall Jubilee half-stack back at my folks' in Manchester. No need for that in a terrace in London but cannot bear to part with it... Plus it was 'born' the same year as me! Also managed to snag a TB-2W from Ant himself - can confirm it is out of the box, has velcro on the bottom and no intention to sell (unless i really hit dire straits)

Q5:  Top one track ever? Jeez, cliche version would be something like Little Wing. Otherwise maybe Valley of the Silver Moon; Anyone that's seen Jonathan Wilson live would probably testify to that... 

• Hello, just introducing myself. I’m a longtime lurker, but resisted the urge to join for ages as I was worried it would start a spending habit (oops).

My username is a pun on my surname. 

I live in South East London, in the Greenwich area  

I’m fortunate to have achieved most of my musical ambitions, including playing with some of my childhood heroes and at almost all the venues I dreamed about as a child  

Probably my Kemper - it’s my entire rig in a case!

Changes every now and then, but I think ‘Everybody Wants To Rule The World’ is pretty perfect.