Supergrass

What's Hot
SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
Wow - I forgot just how good Supergrass are, and particularly Gaz Coombes as a guitarist.

They headlined a mini festival here in Bath - pouring rain, but they kept spirits up with a lovely stage presence and a greatest hits set. Which is when you realise how many great songs they have.

Really perked me up !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Yes - one of the great forgotten bands of the "Britpop" era - remembered largely only for "Alright" - which although it's a brilliant pop song is one of a couple of dozen brilliant tracks.

Also, PSA, Amazon seem to be selling off their brilliant second album on vinyl for about £13 at the minute.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    He’s got such a great style as a guitarist, especially that really languid style he pulls out in stuff like Late In The Day & Mary 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    Love their early stuff like Lenny and Caught by the fuzz, really rockin stuff.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Great band. Richard III and Sun Hits the Sky among their best.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    Gaz Coombes solo stuff is brilliant too. Talented guy no doubt! He has an acoustic guitar which looks like he slapped white emulsion on... whatever, it still sounds fantastic in his hands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I was in the audience at their first live TV appearance in 1995 on The Word when they played 'Mansize Rooster', probably my favourite song of theirs.

Also saw them in May 1995 at Hammersmith Palais with a soon to emerge Cast supporting them. My girlfriend at the time and I bumped into them outside in the afternoon before the show, while they were posing for a photo.

Always liked Gaz Coombes playing and tone and he shares the same name and birthday as me.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 911
    Late In The Day is my favourite Supergrass song from the terrific album In It For The Money
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1276
    The whole band were ridiculously young when their first album out. So accomplished by any standards let alone for a bunch of kids.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Absolutely great band. Some of the best songwriting of the 90s
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 706
    Massively underrated in my opinion. Some excellent songs. Saw them at Ally Pally the weekend before lockdown started. The sound at Ally Pally had always been dreadful for every band I’d seen there but Supergrass got it bang on. 

As others said, Gaz Coombes solo stuff is also top drawer.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    One of my go to Jukebox bands when I first started drinking at our local - as a teenager way back in the mid 90s. 

I haven’t seen them live (yet) but they are doing a festival later this year that I’m going to, so I’ll be correcting that. Glad to hear they still put on a decent show. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    DrBob said:
    He’s got such a great style as a guitarist, especially that really languid style he pulls out in stuff like Late In The Day & Mary 
    Yes, that’s very much the case. He is super charming, laid back and makes it look effortless.

In reality he used five different guitars in less than an hour and clearly cares and knows what he is doing.

The rest of the band do help enormously, as both Mick and Danny are exceptionally good at what they do too. 

I have seen them a handful of times over the years, though don’t play them that often - hence mentioning I had somewhat forgotten (weird)…
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    They are one of my favourite bands, just great songs with infectious hooks played really well. They played my local festival Victorious last year and did a great set. 
    Like a lot of bands that were big in the nineties  they mainly only do festivals now as it's easy in terms of logistics and budget. 

They were set to headline Bournemouth High Tide festival but it got cancelled due to license issues 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 684
    Brilliant band, and well worth listening to all of their albums if you haven't before. Loads of stonking tunes, and most of them hit that sweet spot with great guitar tones melded with keys (courtesy of Gaz's brother Rob). They can do fun power pop with great humour (see below) as well as deep melancholy, and full on rawk.

Seen them half a dozen times in their heyday, including a superb stripped back acoustic set at Hammersmith working men's club around the time of Road To Rouen.

Saw them again at Ally Pally in March 2020 for the "Live On Other Planets" tour. They sounded just as amazing as ever.

Here's a fun one: 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    I forgot how good they are as well.
    I bought the first album but nothing after that. I've been listening to them this morning, some really good songs. 

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 684
    This is a great track. I could post loads here, but I'll restrain myself ;)

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Was lucky enough to see them a couple of times too. In It For The Money is probably in my top five 90s albums. All great players besides everything else
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11303
    edited June 2022
    Yep, we saw them in Oxford back in the '90s when they first broke.  They were great.  We were then in our mid-30s and it amused us to see that most of the rest of the audience were picked up from the gig by one or other of their parents.

* EDIT - Gaz is still a good-looking bugger too, the lucky sod.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Mrs Dr Cornelius’s favourite ever band , seen them plenty of times in various countries and never disappointed . Thanks to a lovely chap on here managed to snaffle one of Gaz’s guitars once and have met the great man a few times since . A bit like the band , never disappoints - comes across as humble , down to earth and thoroughly decent .  If I had a tenth of his talent I’d be a total arse I’m sure  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 499
    They were my first ever 'proper band' live gig in the 90's