Daisy Tempest On Andertons - Interesting Video

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
I found this video about a new and upcoming luthier very interesting.

The Captain is giving her some exposure, which is good.

But, man, has she missed a trick not having one of her guitars to see/hear on the show !!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    She's been apprenticing with Rosie at Turnstone as of late.

She's not a experienced builder, "upcoming", nor an expert in particular but is very likeable, young and female. Not hard to see how that translates to her large online exposure on instagram and youtube when we take guitarist demographics into account.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564

The Captain is giving her some exposure, 
    no answer to that
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    bertie said:

The Captain is giving her some exposure, 
    no answer to that
    I wouldn't put it past him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited June 2022
    I wish her well.

It can't be easy, starting out, trying to (ahem) build  a reputation, so good luck to her  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Very likeable girl, very best of luck to her!  

Well done to Lee for giving her some exposure as well.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1797

The pleasure was his!

The pleasure was his!
    My Labrador's tail has less wags than this place! :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    Wazmeister said: But, man, has she missed a trick not having one of her guitars to see/hear on the show !!!
    I think that's because she is on her second own-label guitar...ever. 
    She's been apprenticing with Rosie at Turnstone as of late.

She's not a experienced builder, "upcoming", nor an expert in particular but is very likeable, young and female. Not hard to see how that translates to her large online exposure on instagram and youtube when we take guitarist demographics into account.
    She was with Tom Sands first, and all over social media like a rash, doing YouTube "cheese, wine, and guitars" etc. Never seems to mention him now. Then with Rosie for a while, and now building on her own.

She is extremely social media savvy and has had a lot of exposure, especially considering the number of guitars she has built. Culminated a while back in a very public Instagram spat where a well-respected USA luthier laid into her, stating that one has to have paid their dues in order to be considered a "luthier", and accusing her of using the label without any substantial body of work. Very nasty and taken down quick.

Her guitars are not exactly cheap, especially considering how few she has made. Personally, I'd be looking at someone like Oliver Marchwood who has several guitars under his belt, built to a very high standard, sound great, play great, and a couple of grand less. I played one a few weeks ago and have been resisting the temptation to commission one ever since. Same for Richard Obsourne - tons of guitars under his belt, with Sam Carter playing one, and over 2K less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    steveh said:
    Wazmeister said: But, man, has she missed a trick not having one of her guitars to see/hear on the show !!!

Wow.

Good to see you around Steve. We used to exchange messages back in the day on some other forums.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 413
    edited June 2022
    I was shocked by the pricing for a Tempest guitar, given the lack of instrument output. Personally, I'd choose a Benjamin or an Elysian, based on reputation.

The only way to really judge is with the ears though!
    steveh said:
    How do you know?

I'm not doubting you btw, just wondering.

I'm guessing even at 6k a pop plus she would want to make 10 or so a year to have a reasonable income given her costs.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I honestly think that 6k for someone literally with zero real experience, together with all of the stuff around it on insta, shows incredible brassneck.

I have yet to see a finished guitar other than the first one. 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

I'm guessing even at 6k a pop plus she would want to make 10 or so a year to have a reasonable income given her costs.
    I think that's probably rather conservative 
    edited June 2022
    bertie said:

I think that's probably rather conservative 
    As the guy in the prison showers who was bi curious said... "fuck me"...

I thought 6k was a lot of money - if she is only making 2 in a year... could they be as much as 20k each?
    steveh said:
    How do you know?
    All over Insta; like gassage, I’ve only seen evidence of one completed guitar named, surprisingly, “Tempest no. 1”. It’s on her YT channel.

There was an attempt at her own build before that, but she destroyed it because she was unhappy with how it was turning out. Again, all very public on Insta.
    earwighoney said: Good to see you around Steve. We used to exchange messages back in the day on some other forums. 
    Indeed, THAT place! I detected more than a few antibodies towards those of us who’d rather spend more on steel-strings than their cars (i drive a banger), so didn’t rejoin when it moved.

I spend most of my time on nylon these days, thanks to Jonny M infecting me with his enthusiasm for that. The nylon brigade are a hugely conservative bunch though. If it wasn’t written more than 100 years ago, then it can’t be good etc. Blah!

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    steveh said:How do you know?
    All over Insta; like gassage, I’ve only seen evidence of one completed guitar named, surprisingly, “Tempest no. 1”. It’s on her YT channel.

There was an attempt at her own build before that, but she destroyed it because she was unhappy with how it was turning out. Again, all very public on Insta.
    It's incredible she's already had endorsements with capo makers and barely finished a handful of instruments.

She has an incredible number of followers. I thought of who might be considered to be at the top of the tree for steel strings, first name to pop into my head is Jason Kostal, he has around 5k followers, Daisy Tempest has 5 times the number!

What do you think of the quality of her work Steve? 

steveh said:
    earwighoney said: Good to see you around Steve. We used to exchange messages back in the day on some other forums. 
    Indeed, THAT place! I detected more than a few antibodies towards those of us who’d rather spend more on steel-strings than their cars (i drive a banger), so didn’t rejoin when it moved.

I spend most of my time on nylon these days, thanks to Jonny M infecting me with his enthusiasm for that. The nylon brigade are a hugely conservative bunch though. If it wasn’t written more than 100 years ago, then it can’t be good etc. Blah!

I started lurking there again, Jonny M truly is a fantastic guitarist!

We exchanged some messages on AGF as well a while back, the video of you playing a Bown OM was vital for when I chose Amazon Rosewood for my 00 build a few years back!

Good to hear you are still enjoying playing nylon strings. As much as I like steel strings, there's something about playing nylon strings which I seem to enjoy a little more. I recall you had a Woodfield guitar at one point right?  What's your classical guitar of choice now.  There seem to be a lot of very good English nylon string guitar makers now, seems to be a good time for the industry.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    I sort of bumped into her when she was doing stuff and apprenticing with Tom Sands during lockdown from her tone on Anderson video I presume that 2 years did not end well as she now refers to him as another luthier. Quiet rightly she refers to Rosie at Turnstone with a lot more warmth she is a genuine time served talent and probably still under appreciated.

I do wish her well but it will be a long slog building a reputation in that market and there are only 2 ways in my mind when starting out is you build fast and  keep prices fair for a new builder giving people a good bang for the their buck as you gain experience and reputation  or as she says she is a perfectionist so I imagine her speed is pretty pedestrian at this point.

it is a dilemma with all new luthiers when you build 6-10 guitars a year realistically how good are you really in comparison to the guy who voices and braces 300 guitars a year as part of a team at one of the small shop producers. 

But hey everyone has to get their start and hopefully her social skills bring her some customers happy to drop 6k+ 
    Well I do wish her luck, sounds like she both loves her job and cares about her work, we should all be so lucky!
    edited June 2022
      she both loves her job and cares about her work,  
    I do