Cheap tuner pedals?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
edited June 2022 in FX
I'm getting my lad (13) a bare pedalboard to start him off (and ensure he never has money for drugs) - have a board on the way courtesy of the classifieds here, was thinking to add a tuner and a power supply and leave him to it 

so, re a tuner - are any of the cheapo pedal options worthwhile? anyone using one successfully ? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    I use a Tomsline AT-07 mini on my flyboard and it works really well. I have tried it alongside my TU-3 and the 'readings' were pretty much identical and the mini was also more stable! They are around £16 from AliExpress or £20 from Amazon. If you want really cheap then headstock tuners can be had for buttons, I paid £12 fr a Korg one and it works just fine, IMO. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    dilbert said:
    I use a Tomsline AT-07 mini on my flyboard and it works really well. I have tried it alongside my TU-3 and the 'readings' were pretty much identical and the mini was also more stable! They are around £16 from AliExpress or £20 from Amazon. If you want really cheap then headstock tuners can be had for buttons, I paid £12 fr a Korg one and it works just fine, IMO. 
    Cheers those are the kinds of things I was wondering about 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    For SURE he has a smart phone? GOTS to be an app.

Dave.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Slightly different thought: a Line 6 M5? Not overly expensive new and incredible value for money used.

I bought one for a friend's son last year as his first pedal. It includes a tuner and models of just about every single other effect you can think of. Gives him a chance to try them all out and see what he likes. From there he can start adding to the collection, while keeping the M5 for those effects he might not use as much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    markv said:
    Slightly different thought: a Line 6 M5? Not overly expensive new and incredible value for money used.

I bought one for a friend's son last year as his first pedal. It includes a tuner and models of just about every single other effect you can think of. Gives him a chance to try them all out and see what he likes. From there he can start adding to the collection, while keeping the M5 for those effects he might not use as much.

Fully agree. It's a cracking pedal for a "try before you buy" idea of lots of effects, and a great way to deal with those "what this song needs is <obscure effect you'll be buggered if you're paying hundreds of pounds for>" moments. Hard to see anyone "growing out of" one either.

The only downside is that you can only put it in one place in your signal chain, which means it'll always be in the "wrong" place to use some of the onboard effects. Other than that it's all fairly nitpicky stuff- it isn't the best sounding or the latest generation digital modelling and it doesn't like being on a daisy chain for power, but it's hard to think of anything that'll give you anything like the same amount of stuff for £60 or so used.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    I got the Behringer one when my Pitchblack crapped out an hour before a gig, and it's been on my board without issue for a couple of years. 
    I also have the Tubescreamer one and the Fuzz and both are excellent.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7041
    The GuitarGuitar / Andertons / PMT purchasing group's "own brand" Landlord FX mini pedal tuner for £29 is accurate and very easy to see the "needle" centering and changing colour:
    edited June 2022
    markv said:

Fully agree. It's a cracking pedal for a "try before you buy" idea of lots of effects, and a great way to deal with those "what this song needs is <obscure effect you'll be buggered if you're paying hundreds of pounds for>" moments. Hard to see anyone "growing out of" one either.

The only downside is that you can only put it in one place in your signal chain, which means it'll always be in the "wrong" place to use some of the onboard effects. Other than that it's all fairly nitpicky stuff- it isn't the best sounding or the latest generation digital modelling and it doesn't like being on a daisy chain for power, but it's hard to think of anything that'll give you anything like the same amount of stuff for £60 or so used.
    I was toying with giving/long term loaning him my HXFX for this reason, but I kinda would also would like him  to learn about pedal faff  lol 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers for tuner mentions chaps 
    Red ones are better. 
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 916
    TimmyO said:
    markv said:

I was toying with giving/long term loaning him my HXFX for this reason, but I kinda would also would like him  to learn about pedal faff  lol 
    There's also a lot to be said for fully exploring a couple of stompboxes at a time as you slowly expand your rig. Not to mention more time playing and less time worrying about presets and so on.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    I've had a Mooer Baby Tuner on a small board for years and it's been rock solid. Seems to agree with my TU2 and assorted phone apps and clip-ons.

Phone apps are fine for home use, but less helpful if he starts playing in public.
    Snags said:
    I've had a Mooer Baby Tuner on a small board for years and it's been rock solid. Seems to agree with my TU2 and assorted phone apps and clip-ons.

Phone apps are fine for home use, but less helpful if he starts playing in public.
    Cheers, and yes he’s got 2 public dates in the diary
    Red ones are better. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    +1 for the mooer, aways worked for me.
    Stay away from Rowin though.. i used to have one and it has a very loose definition of "in tune"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom