I Saw The Stones Tonight

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
edited June 2022 in Off Topic
At Hyde Park.

Keef doesn't do a huge amount in a lot of songs. He plays simplified chords and sometimes doesn't play anything. And the guitars for both him and Ronnie are quite low in the mix. They rely heavily on keys, brass etc and often you can't hear the guitars at all. When you could it was often out of time, missed notes etc, and I think that's why they're low in the mix. Some people say they think there's a couple of guitars in the back playing their parts, but I don't believe that. 

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan, I adore Keef, the Stones are my all time favourite band, and it's impressive that him and Ronnie are still going considering their long history with substance abuse. And despite them being low in the mix, having difficulties playing some simple stuff, they did become more consistent as the show went on. And in spite of those issues, which I may notice more being a musician, everyone absolutely loved it. At first I kind of felt bad for them, but by the end I was hoping they'd never stop because those songs are timeless, as are they. And even if they are carried at times, it's all good because they still add a lot, even when they're not doing a lot. Mick absolutely still has it. No doubt about it. 

The venue though, £6.80 for 330ml Peroni. Get the fuck out of here. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7041
    When you look at Keith's knuckles it's a wonder he is still able to fret a chord.  They are really gnarled and I'm sure he must have joint pain, but he just keeps going.  Amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    BillDL said:
    When you look at Keith's knuckles it's a wonder he is still able to fret a chord.  They are really gnarled and I'm sure he must have joint pain, but he just keeps going.  Amazing.
    Yea he's extremely arthritic. He plays a lot of single note and simple dyads.

Lots of cool guitars on show. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited June 2022
    Id rather pay £20 to watch a group of young men play covers of Beatles/stones than pay £100 plus to watch McCartney or the stones stand on stage while a group of youngsters play their songs around them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JoStephensJoStephens Frets: 20
    I thought it was brilliant. Guitar definitely not perfect but a brilliant vibe all round. 

In defence of the venue the set up at Hyde Park is better than any other outdoor gigs I’ve been to in London, sound is always pretty good. Others such as All Points East always have fantastic line ups that are ruined by sound which makes the shoes impossible to enjoy. 
    edited June 2022
    I thought it was brilliant. Guitar definitely not perfect but a brilliant vibe all round. 

In defence of the venue the set up at Hyde Park is better than any other outdoor gigs I’ve been to in London, sound is always pretty good. Others such as All Points East always have fantastic line ups that are ruined by sound which makes the shoes impossible to enjoy. 
    Yea we had a good time. I've seen them quite a few times. Aside from some morons next to us who nearly got into fights with multiple people for throwing empty cups and cans, there was a great atmosphere. The venue is fine. It looks amazing with the tree and everything, and the smaller stages are fun, but the costs are astronomical, and that's coming from someone who goes to football every week. I mean, charging nearly £7 for a coke can sized beer is just out of order. It wasn't like that everywhere in the venue just at the entrance, so it seemed like a cynical ploy to trick people into paying more. I went to their last Hyde Park show 8-10 years ago and they didn't have that anywhere. I'm seeing the Pixies and Pearl Jam there in a couple of weeks too. 

Did you see the Cuban Brothers? Absolutely brilliant. 
    edited June 2022
    munckee said:
    Id rather pay £20 to watch a group of young men play covers of Beatles/stones than pay £100 plus to watch McCartney or the stones stand on stage while a group of youngsters play their songs around them. 
    I don't think there were any youngsters on that stage, and it was less than £100 ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JoStephensJoStephens Frets: 20
    Yea we had a good time. I've seen them quite a few times. Aside from some morons next to us who nearly got into fights with multiple people for throwing empty cups and cans, there was a great atmosphere. The venue is fine. It looks amazing with the tree and everything, and the smaller stages are fun, but the costs are astronomical, and that's coming from someone who goes to football every week. I mean, charging nearly £7 for a coke can sized beer is just out of order. It wasn't like that everywhere in the venue just at the entrance, so it seemed like a cynical ploy to trick people into paying more. I went to their last Hyde Park show 8-10 years ago and they didn't have that anywhere. I'm seeing the Pixies and Pearl Jam there in a couple of weeks too. 

Did you see the Cuban Brothers? Absolutely brilliant. 
    I didn’t see Cuban Brothers but they seem to be a bit of a staple at the BST shows so have seen them before there - brilliant. 

I thought Pheobe Bridger’s was great too.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    munckee said:
    We’ll charge you more at the next jam then Adam!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    mrkb said:
    munckee said:
    I said play not murder : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    munckee said:
    I agree with the principle, but different strokes ...

For many, it's the "experience" and being able to say that they saw the Stones/PMcC/whoever, play live. 

The sound - whoever was actually playing - will likely have been incredible too and probably better rehearsed and produced than the band used to manage back in the day.

I remember Rossi saying that he hated the Quo reunion tour because the playing was sloppy, etc.  But 99.5% of those in the audience didn't care about that - it was the opportunity to see and hear the original band playing again.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3298
    munckee said:
    Youngsters? Brian Ray is 67 and Rusty 63, and Rusty was jumping about more than Billie Joe does now! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    TTony said:
    munckee said:
    I agree with the principle, but different strokes ...

For many, it's the "experience" and being able to say that they saw the Stones/PMcC/whoever, play live. 

The sound - whoever was actually playing - will likely have been incredible too and probably better rehearsed and produced than the band used to manage back in the day.

I remember Rossi saying that he hated the Quo reunion tour because the playing was sloppy, etc.  But 99.5% of those in the audience didn't care about that - it was the opportunity to see and hear the original band playing again.
    I remember a radio interview with a chap who, I think, ran the U.K. Blondie fan club. And he said he used to go see Blondie in their heyday but they were on drugs, the sound was terrible,etc, and he’s seen Blondie tribute acts that played the songs better. Although in terms of bragging rights Blondie at the peak of their success presumably beats Bootleg Blondie at the Dog and Duck. 

My memory of watching the Stones at Glastonbury on the TV was that there were a lot of arrangements that minimised the prominence of the guitars and that will have only increased. So, not surprising what TM says in his review. 

When I’ve seen relatively big acts there were clearly people there who just wanted to say they had been there, sang along to the hit they knew, update their social media. As not a particular fan of the Stones that would be me in this case although I wouldn’t spend the money! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273

Maybe try a wider fitting?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    Sassafras said:

Maybe try a wider fitting?
    that's sole music for you............................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    munckee said:
    mrkb said:
    munckee said:
    I said play not murder : )
    and he did say "young" 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    When the Stones played Glastonbury the had Mick Taylor playing onstage too, from memory he pretty much  played all the main guitar parts, and did it very well. Keith played very little from what I remember.
     I'm sure they also had a 4th guitarist at the side of the stage.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dano said:
    When the Stones played Glastonbury the had Mick Taylor playing onstage too, from memory he pretty much  played all the main guitar parts, and did it very well. Keith played very little from what I remember.
     I'm sure they also had a 4th guitarist at the side of the stage.

A 4th? Like a touring guitarist? I've heard this as a rumour, that they have a band under the stage or something but nah, unless it was a guest it's just the two of them. Obviously with Mick Taylor that time. And he only played three songs with them. 
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 53
    Knebworth 1976 - Keef was probably out of it - but from memory it was a great show….

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Watching bits of the Glastonbury set on YouTube it’s a) 9 years ago, bloody hell and b) better than I remember. I wonder if there’s a bit of post production or if my memory is just being unkind. Even so some sense that Keith’s playing role was quite minimal even by then. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    They don’t have a hidden guitar player - just use your ears. 

What they do have is a monster rhythm section, plus keys, horns and multiple backing singers to fatten out the sound. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires