0000 Grade Steel Wool

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
edited September 2014 in Guitar
I keep reading this is the best method for cleaning rosewood fingerboards and polishing frets (pretty sure I've done so in the past but my memory is shot). However...

Two wasted trips - one to my local hardware shop on Sat and just now to Wickes, reveals it's not easy to get hold of. Both sold multipacks contains fine, coarse and medium.

Any ideas which chain stores stock it? If not I'll be ebaying I guess.

Cheers
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I only buy Liberon and have only managed to get it from the internet.  This is where I usually purchase it from -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIBERON-1kg-HIGH-QUALITY-STEEL-WOOL-CHOICE-OF-GRADES-0000-TO-4-/390739595411?var=660197435513

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Touchstone Tonewoods in Reigate?

Suspect you're looking at mail order whichever route you take.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Brought a load over from America.  I couldn't find it here either, best was 00 but 0000 is three grades finer than that.  You can buy it in any hardware store over there.

On a more positive note, they do sell Gorilla Glue and Birchwood Casey Tru-oil here now though.

Found some Liberon 0000 Grade:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-LIBSW0007G-Grade-Steel-Wool/dp/B000TVIWXW

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Google........

Tis where one gets one's.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    All practice and no theory
  • I got mine (in fact I thought it was 00000 - or is that daft?) from a shop, not mail order...just got to remember which one though...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'm in the states at the minute and bought some 0000 from Home Depot a few days ago but it's definitely not as fine as the Liberon 0000 I bought online last year.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited September 2014
    Cheers people. I know it's available online but hoped I might get it from a shop. Looks like you (widely) can't though. :(
  • I was right about the 00000 - Coloron fine is 00000...click on the 'how to remove cup rings' on this page here 

I'm pretty sure you can get this at any decorators / builders merchant (but I thought I got mine from either a large Homebase or large B&Q...might have that wrong and the B&Q website is down at the moment)
  • Don't use it anywhere near pickups, though!!!  They will end up looking like the iron filing beard toy we all used to play with as kids.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited September 2014
    Yes - B&Q sell it  Click on the link - it is the Coloron Fine - the grade in 000's is marked on the packaging
  • Andyjr1515;347561" said:
    Yes - B&Q sell it  Click on the link - it is the Coloron Fine - the grade in 000's is marked on the packaging
    Hi Andy - thanks for that. I'd given up hope though and just bought off eBay!

Here's a link incase anyone else needs some:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321452385559

Cheers
  • No, problem, Steve.  At least you know ebay has it in stock!  :)
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 94
    I got mine from a Brewers Decorating centre they stock liberon products or at least they used to.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I was right about the 00000 - Coloron fine is 00000...click on the 'how to remove cup rings' on this page here 

I'm pretty sure you can get this at any decorators / builders merchant (but I thought I got mine from either a large Homebase or large B&Q...might have that wrong and the B&Q website is down at the moment)
    Think the Liberon might be finer than Colron 5 0s http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2749/#Comment_2749
    I've been to decorators and fairly large builders merchants that have only had 'fine' steel wool as their finest grade, but a decorators or possibly furniture conservators might be the best bet for an actual shop. Getting it off ebay is fairly cheap though, and small amounts will fit in a padded envelope, so no worries about missing deliveries.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    I got some 0000 stuff from B&Q and it was absolute rubbish - it shed so much rubbish everytime you touched it, and it was nowhere near as "soft" as Liberon 0000 that I used to have.

(It wasn't B&Q branded - a green & yellow pack IIRC)

I'm sure Axeminster will have the right stuff.
  • Don't forget to paper and mask up your pickups/magnets.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    edited September 2014
    jd0272 said:
    Google........
    Wisdom duly awarded. Isn't that what everyone tries first...? Although I guess if they did, we wouldn't have nearly as many interesting questions on here!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    i cleaned my LP for the first time in 12 years.  makes hell of a difference!!

watched a good you tube video

then cleaned using

credit card first, then 
    wire wool
    masked up pups per sambostar's suggestion
    then did frets after masking the fretboard all the way up