How to piss on someones for sale thread and appear nice

What's Hot
After a fair few years on the forum I've noticed a bit of a behaviour pattern appearing on here from certain members.

Thought I'd flag it for a laugh and also add in a few humourous style comments.

Back in my corporate days it was called a shit sandwich. Some people used to use them to be nice and others thought they were very intelligent, even intellectual, and were using them thinking they weren't getting noticed and were actually getting called out behind their back as being a bit of a bell end.

Classic on here - 

Any SVL for sale thread
Oh, that's a lovely relic - are those still made in parts and bolted together. Bet it sounds amazing, good luck with the sale. 

Any big amp. 
That's gorgeous. How much does it weigh, might be a bit heavy for me otherwise I'd be interested. 

or
Great amp. Does it have an attenuator for home use (knowing it doesn't have an attenuator). 

Any custom shop strat over 7lb 10oz - unless it's owned by the seller. 
I'd be all over this of it was a bit lighter. At my age I can tell ever oz. 

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1587
    I like the purposeful spelling mistake in the last one ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 876
    I like, "Ooh if I hadn't just bought [insert better version of what the OP is selling] I'd be all over this."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2874
    edited March 2023
    Here's another - That's a lovely refin. If it was mine I'd have chosen a different colour. Good luck with the sale. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28987
    I favour honesty.

"I don't like the colour, and having met you I bet it smells". 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    26reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1410
    edited March 2023
    oh_pollo said:
    I like, "Ooh if I hadn't just bought [insert better version of what the OP is selling] I'd be all over this."
    I don't see what's wrong with this. It's a forum where people post stuff. It's not like they rang up the seller and told them this, then hung up.
    In general, I do see a lot of smart arse comments on most threads I visit these days. e.g. Someone posts a band they like, and replies are "shite" "crap guitar player" "I can do that" etc, poor attempts at humour. But, it's a forum, so you'll get everything I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2061
    oh_pollo said:
    I don't see what's wrong with this. It's a forum where people post stuff. It's not like they rang up the seller and told them this, then hung up.
    In general, I do see a lot of smart arse comments on most threads I visit these days. e.g. Someone posts a band they like, and replies are "shite" "crap guitar player" "I can do that" etc, poor attempts at humour. But, it's a forum, so you'll get everything I suppose.
    Because forum rules state not to be critical of prices or post negative comments on for sale threads. So instead these are veiled comments dressed with disingenuous compliments to deliberately undermine the sale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33889
    edited March 2023
    The one I like is some variation of 'if I had money I'd buy this, but I don't'.

Um... ok.
    If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1284
    GLWS could be interpreted sarcastically…..I think you just have to take stuff at face value though, sarcasm and any subtext can easily be read into perfectly innocent comments, you could easily end up paranoid and over analysing every interaction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7298
    For some balance , for every ‘if I had to the money ‘ comment your FS post gets bumped onto the front page.

If someone asks the weight and responds that because it’s over 6lb it’s not for them it still gets bumped and 90 pct of other buyers then know the weight and won’t be put off by it

With regards to the attenuator- if we are talking Bartel here , I can imagine the master volume being amazing and someone asking about that gives you the seller the chance to underline the fact. Personally I don’t think I’ve played and amp with an attenuator that sounds as good as one with a good MV anyway.

I totally get the frustration with snide comments but I don’t think the majority of them are made with any malice (maybe I’m being naïve ?) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2246
    Is that the same one that sold on eBay / Reverb / Facebook last month?   (At half the price you're asking)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Or on a custom shop strat - 

Nice NOS guitar. Glwts. 

Making the point that it's not a relic and therefore not worth as much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1456
    edited March 2023
    For some balance , for every ‘if I had to the money ‘ comment your FS post gets bumped onto the front page.
    Yes and I also think most of those type of comments are genuine and expressing enthusiasm for the gear for sale. I can't see how those posts are unhelpful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24755
    CMW335 said:
    oh_pollo said:
    Because forum rules state not to be critical of prices or post negative comments on for sale threads. So instead these are veiled comments dressed with disingenuous compliments to deliberately undermine the sale.
    How is saying 'I'd love that but it's too heavy for me' a deliberate attempt to undermine a sale? Isn't that a compliment on the lovely thing but for the commenter personally it's just too heavy?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2874
    edited March 2023
    @fretmeister - I think it's the context and absolutely not all are done specifically. 

Agree there is the enthusiasm of the, would you take a kidney, and yes it bumps the thread. 

It's the veiled underhand comments we get - 
    Oh that's lovely but it's (insert sly negative comment on purpose to derail the thread) shit.

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1640
    edited March 2023
    Yeah, it's lovely but...

"I'd all over this if/but.. [insert: reason(s) why not, and why others should think very carefully before deciding no too]"  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 549
    I like the one where someone has said a vintage radius on a PRS or vintage Strat is a deal breaker ! I don't think I ever read 
      an interview where Jimi Hendrix said he didn't like the radius of Strat neck or the trem always went out of tune !
  • AK99 said:
    Yeah, it's lovely but...

"I'd all over this if/but.. [insert: reason(s) why not, and why others should think very carefully before deciding no too]"  
    This is bang on
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    @bgmartinsbridge didnt you do this on the Bartel sale thread?  
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    The no commenting on price rule is flouted regularly - I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people saying "great price", "that won't be here long" or (the most common and infuriating) "bargain"

It's against the rules and needs stamping out!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1038
    I do sometimes comment on for sale posts, but it's generally either because I've got/like the thing for sale and I'm enthusiastic about it, or the thing for sale is exceptional or unusual. I generally assume sellers don't mind because it draws attention to the listing.

But now I'm trying to think back whether anything I've put could be misinterpreted as snide in some way. It's actually possible someone out there now despises me because I said their pedal was really cool back in the 90s...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom