MJW Amps Tweed Bantam Review

What's Hot
martinwmartinw Frets: 2149

I received this review of the Tweed Bantam I built a few months back for a customer (who also owns a standard Bantam), and being quite pleased with it, I thought I'd give it an air! :) What's interesting I think is that the preamp is altered to match the Fender 5E3 Deluxe, but barring a couple of small tweaks, the power amp is still the same as the standard Bantam (and Roadstar) being a pair of EL84s, cathode-biased with no NFB, from which you would normally get that range of Voxy-Marshally sounds you'd expect.

"I just wanted to drop you a line and give you an update on the Tweed Bantam you made for me a while back.
In short, it’s bloody excellent.
Now it’s settled in, I honestly don’t think it could be sonically more different from the Bantam. There is a LOT more low end in this amp, and also some serious highs too. The most striking thing about this amp is how much character the sound has.
Where the standard Bantam might be considered polished, even, and fairly balanced sounding across it’s range, the tweed version has definite accentuated frequencies (all in the magical mids) that give it a wonderfully woody character. It’s not as polished sounding as the standard Bantam, but then that’s not the point.
The thing I’m enjoying most about this amp over the standard Bantam is that- although it takes pedals well - it almost seems to tell you *you don’t want that pedal in front of me, just plug straight in*. It’s a rhythm player’s dream in that regard. A delay is about the only thing I run into it.
The clean, crunch, blues and lead sounds are simply massive. Although it is definitely a rhythm guitarists dream, the lead sounds are soooo thick, I honestly can’t describe how fat and satisfying those sounds are. It almost lulls you into thinking it’s a rhythm amp, then it goes *oh by the way, I do these massive lead sounds too - is that OK?* - gotta love the 5E3 preamp circuit!
It’s taken me a bit of time to get the sounds I like together, so I plan on doing some clips for you in due course. I just wanted to let you know that it’s a fine piece of work and I am still very much loving it."image

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Boy, that looks amazing! And, from the review, sounds pretty amazing too. Nice work!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
    As people may well guess from my avatar , big MJW fanboy here ...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    @martinw never heard one of your amps before, but I've just been on your YT page and by the beard of Zeus those Electra amps sound frigging amazing. 

Now I am afflicted with a terrible GAS. 

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Thanks guys! :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Ooh :) Off to check the piggy bank...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Still GASsing for the 1x10 18W Roadstar we discussed ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited October 2014
    Gah! It's such a cute, dainty thing :) 18 watts from that?!

That's astonishing.

*drools*

Tweedy style amps are magical sounding, and do take pedals so well. I love the deluxe 5e3 circuit, and the tweed bassman, which is pretty much just big brother I think?
    tFB Trader
    Ooh :) Off to check the piggy bank...
    You only need 50% deposit too! ;)
    Jalapeno said:
    Still GASsing for the 1x10 18W Roadstar we discussed ....
    Cool :)
    Gah! It's such a cute, dainty thing :) 18 watts from that?!

That's astonishing.

*drools*

Tweedy style amps are magical sounding, and do take pedals so well. I love the deluxe 5e3 circuit, and the tweed bassman, which is pretty much just big brother I think?

Yep, same power as the Roadstar. Actually it's about 16-17W clean, going to about 24W fully clipped. Depending on how you measure it of course. Easily giggable.

In fact the Tweed Bassman 5F6 is quite different to the 5E3 Deluxe. It's a far more refined amp, with it's cathode driven tone stack, LTP phase inverter, negative feedback, fixed bias, 6L6s etc. It's a lot smoother, with a more progressive break up, and doesn't have the raw edge of the 5E3. :)

• pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    edited October 2014
    Ooh wow want.  Any sound clips?  That would make a lovely little brother to this:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pickerg said:
    Ooh wow want.  Any sound clips?  That would make a lovely little brother to this:

:O

I think my MJW will be tweed finished.  

But inside, it will be a high gain monster.  That'll teach those blues hounds. 
  • But yes, sound clips are a must.  :)
    tFB Trader
    pickerg said:
    Ooh wow want.  Any sound clips?

I'm hoping the owner will do some soon.

Maybe something like this then ;)   image

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinw said:
    pickerg said:
    Ooh wow want.  Any sound clips?

I'm hoping the owner will do some soon.

Maybe something like this then ;)   image

*weeps uncontrollably*

So beautiful. And all the mini switches! Love it :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I have promised myself a MJW next year...i wanted a 30w 1x12 combo with el34...plexi type...but with a bit of bias towards the super bass.

but the more i see these tweed heads...the more i want some 100w head with KT88's...
  • samzadgan said:
    I have promised myself a MJW next year...i wanted a 30w 1x12 combo with el34...plexi type...but with a bit of bias towards the super bass.

but the more i see these tweed heads...the more i want some 100w head with KT88's...
    The only thing putting me off KT88's is the price of them, but maybe there is a way of making them stupidly reliable, maybe running them at lower power than they're capable of? 

I don't know amps :)

But yes, I do love the tweed look, and the idea of it hiding a fire breathing behemoth underneath appeals.