The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2017
    rocktron said:
    The Hamster better watch out.. . . . Mad Max would take him out at the first corner!!!
    Unlikely that his engine would last that long .... :-)

Max did well as it least he doesn't start at the back. Stroll and Ocon did well and Bottas is yet again off the boil. Palmer is finished after today's dismal performance.

Vettel's got a tough afternoon with three Mercedes engined cars between himself and Hamilton.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yet another  snoozefest.

What was it I said earlier about the Ferraris still not up to Merc performance?

Yet another  snoozefest.

What was it I said earlier about the Ferraris still not up to Merc performance?
    Agree, but at least the race director had the brains to focus on the mid-field battles and the radio messages which were entertaining. Mercs sponsors will be upset as Lewis and Bottas were hardly on the screen. Fred is outdoing Kimi in the nutty radio message stakes ... wanting to hang Palmer was a first .. :-)

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    It wasn't a snoozefest at all - lots of action behind the podium positions.

Stroll seemed a bit timid  (although that's easy to say from the sofa I suppose!) but held his own. Ricciardo was impressive. Wonder what Max would have been able to do without the early bump.

*Another* double engine retirement for McLaren/Honda. Please please please say it will be a Renault engine next year... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    TimmyO said:
    It wasn't a snoozefest at all - lots of action behind the podium positions.

Stroll seemed a bit timid  (although that's easy to say from the sofa I suppose!) but held his own. Ricciardo was impressive. Wonder what Max would have been able to do without the early bump.

*Another* double engine retirement for McLaren/Honda. Please please please say it will be a Renault engine next year... 
    I thought the Mac retirements were strategic? So they can change components without getting grid penalties in the next race? They need to get a decent engine in the car though, it's really annoying to see them dropping out time after time. I can't imagine how frustrated Alonso must be. 
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited September 2017
    Vettel reported in the post-race interview that he had some damage to his car after an off track excursion, which was not shown on the TV broadcast. This could possibly explain why he was so far back, but the Ferraris lacked race pace, anyway..

In any event, I feel the Merc has the measure of the Ferrari, and Hamilton has the edge over Vettel due to a better qualifying pace and better track position. 

I am not sure what Verstappen is trying to do in the opening laps. It is probably due to the exuberance of youth, but he needs to calm down, maintain a steady head, and not try to win a race in the first few corners.     
    Ferrari's new engine upgrade will come next race.

• I enjoyed it, not least because Ricciardo had another blinding drive. 

Ive always said drivers make heir own luck, and Maxkooks to be doing just that right now. He'll be amazing (but probably a bit dull) once he gets a dominant car but he's trying too hard in a car that can't win under normal circumstances.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I enjoyed it, not least because Ricciardo had another blinding drive. 

Ive always said drivers make heir own luck, and Maxkooks to be doing just that right now. He'll be amazing (but probably a bit dull) once he gets a dominant car but he's trying too hard in a car that can't win under normal circumstances.
    I've gone off Max .. too reckless .. hits too many things. Ricciardo was mighty yesterday. Loved the dummy move he threw before shooting up the inside for a spectacular overtake. Max should take notice .. he's a bit like Hamilton towards the end of his McLaren stint.

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Boring as it seems, it makes sense to retire early instead of coming in ~13th or lower, due to the regulations meaning you can change a few more components, or simply not put wear/miles on other components which have to do another race. I guess if you were 11th or 12th it make sense to stay out in case cars 1-10 had an issue and retired.

Agree the race wasn't as interesting as some, the number of actual decent overtakes can be counted on one hand, I think. I never seem to get fully into the highlighted races, I lose all sense of time through the races compared to the live/unedited coverage. Things like when the first make their pit stops and how far apart the competitors running together make theirs, and whether they switch, or gain/lose time etc.

• Much talk this morning around Sainz/Renault/TR/Honda/McLaren.

Sainz to replace Palmer, possibly as early as Malaysia. In return, Renault would release TR from its engine contract at the end of this year. TR then picks up Honda, freeing up Renault to supply McLaren, giving Renault another team that might be able to win, and RB get first dibs on Honda if they ever build an engine better than Renault can. 

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Much talk this morning around Sainz/Renault/TR/Honda/McLaren.

Sainz to replace Palmer, possibly as early as Malaysia. In return, Renault would release TR from its engine contract at the end of this year. TR then picks up Honda, freeing up Renault to supply McLaren, giving Renault another team that might be able to win, and RB get first dibs on Honda if they ever build an engine better than Renault can. 

Which probably complicates Kubica's potential return sadly. Unless someone like Haas takes a punt on him.
  • simonk said:

Which probably complicates Kubica's potential return sadly. Unless someone like Haas takes a punt on him.
    Yeah, looks like it. A great shame, but suggests he wasn't quite quick enough if all plays out as expected.

But there's a chance it will put Alonso and Max/DannyRic in closely-matched machinery next year (even if not as quick as Merc & Ferrari) then I'm all for it.

Red Bull will block Renault from supplying McLaren - Horner said as much at the last Grand Prix - and Brawn says they want to keep Honda. Another scenario would allow Honda to throw unlimited cash and resources at catching up. Mercedes have offered help as well.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I hope something is set in stone soon, I fancy getting a McLaren Honda cap, but I'd like it less if they switched suppliers.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Looks like you're on the money .. I wonder what incentive Horner was given ...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes

• Fretwired said:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes

100m a year from Honda and first dibs for the main team if they ever start giving more power than Renault, giving RB an option on works-team status whenever suits them. Given everything RB (reportedly) did for the Renault engine he may well think he can fix Honda's woes and get the jump on Merc for 2019 and beyond. For a "two-team team" it makes a lot of sense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

100m a year from Honda and first dibs for the main team if they ever start giving more power than Renault, giving RB an option on works-team status whenever suits them. Given everything RB (reportedly) did for the Renault engine he may well think he can fix Honda's woes and get the jump on Merc for 2019 and beyond. For a "two-team team" it makes a lot of sense.
    Knowing Alonso's luck next year's Honda engine will be a monster powering RB to the front of the grid .. :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Knowing Alonso's luck next year's Honda engine will be a monster powering RB to the front of the grid .. :-)
    Almost certainly!