The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26967
    Garthy said:
    57Deluxe said:
    So, if I were Toro Rosso, I would be a bit miffed that have had to give up the Renault engine and get the landed with the crappy Honda instead...
    Yet they are jumping for joy. It's been reliable, its been fast and they are plying STR with millions. It was only crap while it was in the Mclaren and now the Renault is crap in the Mclaren while ace in the Red Bull, hence Boullier having the panic fueled sweat of a man who just cost a barbaric dictatorship $200m.
    Apparently TR did go through several engines during testing, but they were changing them overnight as per their plan. I'm guessing the engine changes were at least partly so they could take each one back to Japan to strip it, and work out what bits (if any) were nearly knackered. 

So at worst they'll start at the back but should finish races, which might yet put them ahead of McLaren, who could get podiums but only if they stop cooking their engines. 

Clearly the Honda engine has not been a great success so far, but time will tell whether it's actually Honda's fault, or at least partly down to McLaren's inability to keep the thing cool enough.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Franz Tost seems to be the most vocal about the three engine limit for the season. With Honda taking three engines to the test it implies they’re not entirely convinced about long term reliability. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26967
    simonk said:
    Franz Tost seems to be the most vocal about the three engine limit for the season. With Honda taking three engines to the test it implies they’re not entirely convinced about long term reliability. 
    Of course, cos he has to work with the one engine that went pop every other race all through last year. 

But tbh we're going to see so many penalties for all the Renault & Honda runners that that back end of the grid will be a lottery by the end of the year. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    edited March 2018
    Garthy said:
    57Deluxe said:
    So, if I were Toro Rosso, I would be a bit miffed that have had to give up the Renault engine and get the landed with the crappy Honda instead...
    Yet they are jumping for joy. It's been reliable, its been fast and they are plying STR with millions. It was only crap while it was in the Mclaren and now the Renault is crap in the Mclaren while ace in the Red Bull, hence Boullier having the panic fueled sweat of a man who just cost a barbaric dictatorship $200m.
    Apparently TR did go through several engines during testing, but they were changing them overnight as per their plan. I'm guessing the engine changes were at least partly so they could take each one back to Japan to strip it, and work out what bits (if any) were nearly knackered. 

So at worst they'll start at the back but should finish races, which might yet put them ahead of McLaren, who could get podiums but only if they stop cooking their engines. 

Clearly the Honda engine has not been a great success so far, but time will tell whether it's actually Honda's fault, or at least partly down to McLaren's inability to keep the thing cool enough.
    Week 1 had the AD engine and two HI-PO concepts, both of those lit up the speed traps with 334kph. Week 2 had a third concept engine though not as grunty as the HI-POs but a single engine that lasted over 4800km  and didn't blow up. For reference 7 GP weekends is 5250km. Mclaren barely managed much over 1100km in two weeks and used at least 3 engines.

Sauber at the back, then Williams. Sauber's car is under developed and the Williams is piloted by a pair of donkeys.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Garthy said:
    Garthy said:
    57Deluxe said:

Week 1 had the AD engine and two HI-PO concepts, both of those lit up the speed traps with 334kph. Week 2 had a third concept engine though not as grunty as the HI-POs but a single engine that lasted over 4800km  and didn't blow up. For reference 7 GP weekends is 5250km. Mclaren barely managed much over 1100km in two weeks and used at least 3 engines.

Sauber at the back, then Williams. Sauber's car is under developed and the Williams is piloted by a pair of donkeys.
    Rich donkeys.

• First practices of 2018 finished.

Practice One was pretty ominous, with Mercedes looking in a completely different league, but P2 was a little more encouraging with Red Bull in particular nipping at the heels of the Mercs on race-sim pace. 

Haas looking like best of the rest behind the Ferraris so far...
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Think I’m bored already....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    First practices of 2018 finished.

Practice One was pretty ominous, with Mercedes looking in a completely different league, but P2 was a little more encouraging with Red Bull in particular nipping at the heels of the Mercs on race-sim pace. 

Haas looking like best of the rest behind the Ferraris so far...
    Happened last year - Hamilton even got pole and then Vettel won by over 10 seconds. Ferrari have a history of sandbagging.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Hamilton to Red Bull or Ferrari? Vettel and Ricciardo to Mercedes. Usual rumour circus starts.

PC_Dave said:
    Think I’m bored already....

My thoughts entirely.

Fretwired said:
    Hamilton to Red Bull or Ferrari? Vettel and Ricciardo to Mercedes. Usual rumour circus starts.
    I don’t know where you get your info from, but they haven’t got a single prediction right in the three years i’ve been reading this forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Garthy said:
    Fretwired said:
    I don’t know where you get your info from, but they haven’t got a single prediction right in the three years i’ve been reading this forum.
    BBC mate. I don't make this up you know ...

Fretwired said:
    Garthy said:
    Fretwired said:
    Andrew Benson!!!! Lol. He hasn’t got a bastard clue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I see Ricciardo has a three place penalty already!

Garthy said:
    Fretwired said:
    Garthy said:
    Fretwired said:
    Andrew Benson!!!! Lol. He hasn’t got a bastard clue.
    True .. ;-)

What for ... three places is odd?

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396

What for?!? 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    That's total crap. If he'd driven through an area in which there were marshals on the track at 180MPH then maybe .. but he didn't .. driving too slow. What a joke.

• ColsCols Frets: 6996
    Fretwired said:
    That's total crap. If he'd driven through an area in which there were marshals on the track at 180MPH then maybe .. but he didn't .. driving too slow. What a joke.
    No, he was driving too fast.  “...the stewards have since ruled that Ricciardo did not slow down sufficiently enough when the red flags were enforced”.

A 3 place penalty suggests he wasn’t too far over though.