The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Garthy said:

Sauber didn’t protest so it was swept under the carpet 
    FIA back in business as usual. Sauber would never complain .. Vettel could drive both their drivers off the track and Sauber would say nothing. What was Charlie doing?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Vandoorne confirmed as leaving McLaren. Lucky git. No idea if there's a seat for him anywhere else but anything's gotta be better than another year in orange.
    Lando Norris to partner Sainz confirmed for 2019
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Vandoorne confirmed as leaving McLaren. Lucky git. No idea if there's a seat for him anywhere else but anything's gotta be better than another year in orange.
    Must still be a good experience to have an F1 drive under your belt though? Wonder if Sainz will end up at McLaren? 
  • boogieman said:
    Must still be a good experience to have an F1 drive under your belt though? Wonder if Sainz will end up at McLaren? 
    Sainz is already confirmed. So McLaren is now fixed as Sainz & Norris. I'm not convinced that's a good move for either of them tbh :(

Vandoorne will likely end winning some stuff if he ends up outside F1. I could see him doing well in F-E or WEC 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Garthy said:
    Fretwired said:
    Out of interest what happened to the 'nailed on unsafe release' (Ted Kravitz) from Ferrari at Vetel's stop under the safety car - why didn't Vettel get a penalty?

Sauber didn’t protest so it was swept under the carpet 
    Wonder if they got some money off their engine bill as a prize for not complaining!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    From Planet F1

“Ferrari are in a bind” is the opening line on Auto Motor und Sport as the Scuderia’s past president signed a race deal with Charles Leclerc, and the new one wants to keep Kimi Raikkonen.

According to the German publication, Leclerc has agreed to race for Ferrari next season, signing a deal with former president Sergio Marchionne.

Marchionne passed away in July, replaced by Louis Camilleri. Camilleri is understood to want to re-sign Raikkonen.

Speaking to the media at Monza on Friday, he said Ferrari had “not taken a decision yet. When we take that decision, and there is no time frame, you will be the second to know.”

However, according to Auto Motor und Sport, there is already a decision, or at least a contract, it is just not the one Camilleri wants.

Ferrari now have to decided whether to renege on Leclerc’s deal, complicated by the fact that he is managed by Nicolas Todt, the son of FIA president Jean Todt, or part ways with Raikkonen.

Following the Italian GP, Autosport are reporting that they’ve decided to go with Leclerc to “honour the plan implemented by Sergio Marchionne before he died.”

Asked about his future, Raikkonen said: “I do not know. Eventually it will happen. You can probably expect everything. I’ve learned that over the last few years.”

As for Leclerc, he says he is “still waiting” to learn his fate.

Should Leclerc take the Ferrari seat alongside Sebastian Vettel, Raikkonen is expected to retire from F1 racing with Leclerc’s Sauber seat potentially going to Antonio Giovinazzi.

However, if Ferrari retain the Finn, Leclerc would likely head to Haas as Kevin Magnussen’s new team-mate.

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    I feel bad for Vandoorne.  He’s a good driver - very close to Alonso - who’s been given an evil pig of a car for the past two seasons.  He deserves to be in F1, but without a big sack of pay driver cash behind him his options are limited to wriggling into the Young Driver Schemes of Ferrari or Red Bull.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    boogieman said:
    Sainz is already confirmed. So McLaren is now fixed as Sainz & Norris. I'm not convinced that's a good move for either of them tbh :(

Vandoorne will likely end winning some stuff if he ends up outside F1. I could see him doing well in F-E or WEC 
    Oops, I must’ve missed the news on Sainz. 
    Red Bull to leave F1 if Honda engines are uncompetitive.

“We are happy to have a great partner with Honda for the next few years,” Helmut Marko, Red Bull’s motorsport adviser, told Speedweek.

“However, should this co-operation — for whatever reason — not work as expected, Red Bull will leave F1.”

Horner to Renault?

Fretwired said:

“We are happy to have a great partner with Honda for the next few years,” Helmut Marko, Red Bull’s motorsport adviser, told Speedweek.

“However, should this co-operation — for whatever reason — not work as expected, Red Bull will leave F1.”

Horner to Renault?

He’s a lovely chap, isn’t he?  The Honda engine’s not even in the back of the car yet and he’s already making threats.

Realistically they’d have no choice.  If Honda aren’t successful by that stage they’ll pull out, and none of the other current engine suppliers will willingly supply RB.
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:

Horner to Renault?

He’s a lovely chap, isn’t he?  The Honda engine’s not even in the back of the car yet and he’s already making threats.

Realistically they’d have no choice.  If Honda aren’t successful by that stage they’ll pull out, and none of the other current engine suppliers will willingly supply RB.
    I though that if the engine regs change (engines become less complicated and cheaper) that Aston Martin were willing to partner with a company like Cosworth to create a new engine. The Aston Martin guy was interviewed a number of times at F1 races saying this - I notice he's not been around recently. Looks like the plan is dead ... Mercedes throwing their weight around backed by Ferrari.

Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:

Horner to Renault?

I though that if the engine regs change (engines become less complicated and cheaper) that Aston Martin were willing to partner with a company like Cosworth to create a new engine. The Aston Martin guy was interviewed a number of times at F1 races saying this - I notice he's not been around recently. Looks like the plan is dead ... Mercedes throwing their weight around backed by Ferrari.

Merc and Ferrari are busy lobbying to ensure that the engine regs remain wretchedly expensive and complicated and that the cost cap proposals are kicked down the street.  Red Bull would be happy to lose the cost cap and simplify the engines.

Most likely Red Bull are aiming to sell the operation to a manufacturer in the mid-term; VW/Audi were being courted until they had their diesel fiasco and found themselves having to watch their pennies.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:

Horner to Renault?

Merc and Ferrari are busy lobbying to ensure that the engine regs remain wretchedly expensive and complicated and that the cost cap proposals are kicked down the street.  Red Bull would be happy to lose the cost cap and simplify the engines.

Most likely Red Bull are aiming to sell the operation to a manufacturer in the mid-term; VW/Audi were being courted until they had their diesel fiasco and found themselves having to watch their pennies.
    This is incorrect. Actually all the engine manufacturers are on the same page when it comes to the  rule changes. They all want the engine regs to stay the same. 
    It's all down to cost. As it will cost too much to design and test a new engine. As they've already paid out to develop the current crop of engines they all want to stay with the same ones going forward. The only changes they really want are to make the current engines louder. This would be done be the fia changing the rules to allow for an increased fuel limit, allowing higher revs and more noise.
    The current engine manufacturers although the would like new entrants to enter. Were disappointed that the fia and liberty have shown a lack of respect towards them as they are the ones currently spending millions to build and develop the engines. They have also stuck around f1.
    Although Renault and honda are behind us at Mercedes and Ferrari in the engine department. They are not complaining and know they both need to up their game.
    Red bull were once opposed to the current engines regs but have now fallen in line as they are in bed with honda.

As for budget caps. Both us at Mercedes and Ferrari and also red bull do not want the budgets to change. But have accepted they might need to in the future. 
    At the end of the day if I were a boss at an f1 team. I wouldnt want to rush into a budget cut that would mean my staff would loose their jobs.
    Plus in the past a budget cap has been agreed only for certain other teams to not stick to it and find loop holes to get round it. It's too hard to police. No one wants to give anything away!
    In every sport there are the haves and have nots. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So you work for Mercedes then?
    I do. Been there 12 years since the honda days. I worked for Jordan gp before that.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    markr76 said:
    I do. Been there 12 years since the honda days. I worked for Jordan gp before that.
    My son's friend is a senior guy at Mercedes. They were at school together - he came on holiday with his a few times.

I had Arrows as a client years ago ... :-)

Fretwired said:
    markr76 said:
    My son's friend is a senior guy at Mercedes. They were at school together - he came on holiday with his a few times.

I had Arrows as a client years ago ... :-)
    A few of my colleagues are ex arrows. They had a fantastic factory over at leafield. They talk very highly of the place and miss it! 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    It is fascinating having a tour round the various F1 HQ’s an old friend of mine is now at Renault F1, indeed he goes back to their Toleman, Benetton, Lotus days tells some very fascinating tales of how the industry has changed over the decades 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Fretwired said:

Horner to Renault?

Horner to Renault? With his head on a spike maybe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    markr76 said:

A few of my colleagues are ex arrows. They had a fantastic factory over at leafield. They talk very highly of the place and miss it! 
    I used to overlook the Leafield factory when I lived there and had a tour during the Super Aguri days.