NGD: The Quest - Lowden vs Martin vs Others...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9587
edited June 2023 in Acoustics
A change in gigging bands, and new opportunities, has led me on an acoustic quest...

Now, I've been building up some funds for a wee while now, and have recently sold a couple of guitars to add to the kitty.

A business opportunity arose, working 3 days in Milton Keynes, which is fortunately only about 50 minutes from the Theatre of Dreams that is Coda Music. 

Now, as some of you may be aware, I've fancied a Lowden for a while. I'm 'naturally' an acoustic player, and have owned several Taylors in the past, a Collings 000 (too tight) and a glorious Atkins The 43. All have been moved on.

I won't lie,  I had a budget of about £6.5k. By any stretch of the imagination, this is a lot of corn. 

I'd tried the Lowdens at GG, but Coda is always my first choice to purchase. Doug and the team offer THE best service there is - before AND after purchase. 

So, on Monday evening, I headed over to Coda... where the new and used stock is vast.

I was really open to any guitar that produced 'that sound in my head'.  Regardless of looks, price, or brand, it had to be really special or else I would leave and continue the quest.

There were two models that really interested me;

i.) Lowden Richard Thompson Singature
ii.) Lowden F50 Ziricote/Driftwood Cedar (used)

Both were exceptional. Well, to be honest, ALL of the guitars at this price point are very very good, as you would expect.

I went through the list systematically, and the models that really stood out were as follows;

i.) Lowden Batch 45 F38

ii.) Martin D41 (used)

iii.) Atkin Essential 000 Pre War

iii.) Charis SJ

iv.) Martin Custom Shop NORTH STREET  OM28 Herringbone

And one other

I settled on 3 which spoke to me, and seemed to align with my 'voice' and playing...

Lowden Batch 45 F38 and Martin D41 and the other one... Both were too blingy to play down at The Chapel House, our local, to be honest...

I found myself after a while, trying to get the Lowden which sounded like the Martin; more bass, a rounder more versatile sound etc.

And the one I settled on was a surprise from my initial thoughts...

A used Martin Custom Shop D28 North Street Herringbone

Built as the pre-war models were, with the forward X bracing and herringbone finish. I've always favoured Adirondack tops (for some reason), and this has one with gorgeous East Indian Rosewood.

It has the chime and throw of the Lowden, with the versatility of the Martin. A gorgeous instrument. 

Funnily enough, as a huge Steve Earle fan, I found out this morning that his one guitar for life is a D28 1937 !

The sound in your head eh ?

Big thanks, as always, to @DougCoda and the team for the usual outstanding service.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments