SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Fender Bassman 50 Head - Silverface 1973/74 £800

What's Hot
SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
edited April 28 in Amps £
1973/74 Fender Silverface Bassman 50 head for sale, in excellent used condition.

The tolex is in overall great shape, there are a few small areas where it has minor surface marks or small scuffs.

I've no idea regarding history...the amp has a pair of JJ 6L6GC power tubes installed from Hot Rox Ltd - I had to replace the volume knob on the normal channel with a close reproduction, as the original had cracked.

The chassis rear has the number A-69390 stamped on it - transformer & some pot codes indicate at the earliest the 37th week of 1973, so amp is likely a build dating to sometime late 1973 or into 1974. Internal pix show condition of what looks like original wiring & components...I'm no expert so please make your own judgements.

£900 shipped within UK mainland, payment via Paypal F&F or bank transfer appreciated.

IMG_7008IMG_7009IMG_7010IMG_7012IMG_7013IMG_7014
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72603
    Wow. That's in remarkable condition.

Do you have any photos of the inside? If you do take it apart you can date it accurately too, some of the components - transformers, pots and electrolytic caps if they're original (but may have been changed, which would be good practice at this sort of age) - have date codes on them which date the component to the week, obviously the amp can't be older than the youngest of them and will most likely have been made within a couple of months of that.

I really, really don't need another valve amp but this is worryingly tempting given that I play guitar, bass and I'm in Scotland. And like the Beatles, even though I know it's not the exact model McCartney used on the rooftop...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Thanks man, its a nice example indeed.

I've not removed the chassis but would be happy to do that if that would help you or any prospective buyer...
  • That's a beautiful looking thing that I'm certain will sound wonderful. Wish I had room for it!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 561
    That's in mint condition  . . . .  I have a 71 Bassman Export which is basically the same . . . Great sounding Amps :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

That's a beautiful looking thing that I'm certain will sound wonderful. Wish I had room for it!
    Cheers, its been a grand amp to own...a really great clean and takes pedals like a pro !

Yeah its in great condition...I'll bet your 71' Export sounds just as good, they seem to be regarded as very consistent.
    Schmo said:

I've not removed the chassis but would be happy to do that if that would help you or any prospective buyer...
    It would probably be useful, both to check that nothing untoward has been done inside - it is possible, even with the condition of the outside and that it works and sounds good - and to date it accurately, as most buyers would find that useful. Not just me ;) - I actually don't care that much about dates! - more about the internals.

A good clear photo of the bottom of the chassis showing the transformers - the power transformer usually has the code stamped into the bottom cover - and one of the inside of the chassis should be enough. If you want to be thorough, do the outside one with the rectangular metal cover on the bottom taken off (four screws) which would confirm whether the main filter caps have been replaced or not. If the cover seems to be stuck on once the screws are removed, it's likely that they haven't been since the foam strip on the inside of the cover tends to stick to them.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you by the way? (If you don't mind me asking.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Schmo said:

It would probably be useful, both to check that nothing untoward has been done inside - it is possible, even with the condition of the outside and that it works and sounds good - and to date it accurately, as most buyers would find that useful. Not just me ;) - I actually don't care that much about dates! - more about the internals.

A good clear photo of the bottom of the chassis showing the transformers - the power transformer usually has the code stamped into the bottom cover - and one of the inside of the chassis should be enough. If you want to be thorough, do the outside one with the rectangular metal cover on the bottom taken off (four screws) which would confirm whether the main filter caps have been replaced or not. If the cover seems to be stuck on once the screws are removed, it's likely that they haven't been since the foam strip on the inside of the cover tends to stick to them.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you by the way? (If you don't mind me asking.)
    Thanks for that advice, I'll see what I can do this week...I'm in Bonnie Dundee !!!
  • Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 211
    Those main filter caps can kill you so be careful and don't touch them  ;)
    Sharky77 said:
    Those main filter caps can kill you so be careful and don't touch them  ;)
    Useful warning, but there's a simple way to stop that which I should have mentioned - just leave the standby switch in the 'on' (play) position when the amp is off. There are permanent divider resistors on the first pair of caps which will then discharge all of them, even if they didn't fully as the valves were cooling down.

There are some amps this doesn't apply to though, so it's wise to be careful.

Thanks @ICBM & @Sharky77 - wise words, I'll be careful !
    edited July 2023
    Mine has had very sympathetic restoration . . . . anything that was in "spec" was left alone . . . 

These are great Amps . . . 

https://i.imgur.com/29OdCif.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Ws7uhwd.jpg
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very cool, I must check out mine…
    Rise...
    TTT

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1280
    edited August 2023
    Are the pics of the insides from the one for sale? I am easily confused.
    Cheers
    steven70 said:
    Are the pics of the insides from the one for sale? I am easily confused.
    Cheers
    No, they are from @maw4neu, his amp.
    Up
    TTT

TTT

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom