Gretsch rancher acoustic with filtertron and bigsby

xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
edited October 2014 in Acoustics
http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag268/mrmatthewharper/Mobile Uploads/unnamed_zpsd5b78759.jpg

Hi all I played one of these today, :-)

Very strange... Very very strange

Pros : hugely unique
Good pickup which is also wax potted so no feedback, it sounded great even with distortion.
Nice finish

Cons: hugely unique,
Very heavy,
Cheap tuners
The acoustic sound was appalling, it's not a flat top but has an archtop, and with the bigsby nailed to it, it sounded totally dead to me,

The bigsby had a mind of its own even a touch would send it out of tune, but that could be as much about the set up as the trem.

I suppose as a stage guitar it would work, looks quite funky, and the pickup did sound good, but for £600 it's a one trick pony, acoustically you would be better installing a set of phosphor bronze tens on a dead goose,

Just thought I would share my thoughts :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    That's a shame... but I did guess it would be more suitable for feedbacky alt-rock type electric stuff than as an acoustic.

It still looks cool, but I probably wouldn't want to own one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    If they could have found away to attach the extras without effecting the build and tone it would be a heck of alot better!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    The heavy build might actually be deliberate, to reduce feedback - old Gibson J160Es are like that... the top is about a quarter of an inch thick, made from a double laminate.

It's probably not aimed at actual acoustic players.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein