SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Gibson Custom Shop Chambered 1958 Les Paul Reissue VOS

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
edited March 23 in Guitars £
Every time I think about selling this guitar I get it out for a play and change my mind. I haven't gigged this one in over 3 years because I end up taking one of my P90-powered guitars instead. I'm a single-coil kind of chap at heart. My guitars are for gigging and I could use the funds for other things, so...

It's a Gibson Custom Shop Chambered 1958 Les Paul Reissue VOS, bought used from Vintage & Rare in Bath in 2008. I believe it dates from 2007 but it came without case candy (although I have kept the VOS sticker from the scratch plate, which was still on when I got it.)

This is the model that Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd chose as a working substitute for his '59 in terms of sound. Unlike LPs that are simply weight-relieved by drilling out loads of cylindrical cavities before applying the maple cap, this guitar has a substantial internal chamber rather like that of a Gretsch Duo Jet - hence the very manageable weight.

Specs:
Body: Chambered mahogany with carved maple top
Neck Material: 1-piece mahogany
Neck Joint: Long neck tenon
Neck Profile: Chunky!
Nut Width: 43.5mm / 1-11/16"
Scale: 24.75in
Rosewood
Frets: 22
Fingerboard Inlays: Vintage trapezoid
Binding: Single-ply cream on top and neck
Machine Heads: Kluson Deluxe with tulip keys
Pickups: Burstbucker 1 (rhythm) and 2 (treble)
Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch
Bridge: ABR-1 bridge with lightweight aluminium stopbar tailpiece
Weight: 3.368kg / 7lb 6.8oz (excluding scratchplate - I prefer it off!)
Custom Shop fitted case

The flamed maple top is very striking, and features a pronounced grain pattern. I would have been happy with a plain finish, but to me this was the best sounding LP in the shop at the time.

I have set the guitar up to play comfortably (for me) and I am not aware of any issues with it. I believe it started out with some very mild artificial wear, to which I have added some genuine play wear.

I'm looking for £3,695 collected from Swindon. I'm not willing to send the guitar by courier, and I would prefer that you tried it yourself through whatever kit you prefer before parting with your money.

I am happy to consider trades. I am particularly interested in the following with cash my way:
  • Trent Model 1
  • Fano SP6
  • Gibson SG Junior
  • ESP GL-56 (Japan - not LTD)
  • Strandberg Sälen
  • Danelectro DC59 or similar
  • 12-string electric (Fender or Danelectro)
  • Zilla x12 cab
  • Fender or Squier Mustang bass
  • ThorpyFX Scarlet Tunic
  • AnalogMan ARDX20 analog delay, preferably with Amazeo
The above list is not exhaustive - by all means contact me with details of what you have, but be advised that pointy metal guitars are not my thing.

Below are the photos that I submitted to chambered-reissue.org but I will add some more once the weather is ok for outdoor photography! These pics show Schaller strap-lock buttons but I have since reverted to the regular strap buttons and Grolsch washers.

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments