Princeton 65 type amp for occasional home use?

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1599
edited January 12 in Amps
Hello all...

I was in andertons today trying a music man and they set me up with a '65 princeton. At home i always play with headphones and my helix. Which I'm happy with.

But when i go into a shop and play an amp i enjoy the experience. No choices, just a guitar and an amp.

So I'm looking for an amp i can use occasionally at home, i mention the princeton as somewhere to start. It doesn't have to be exactly that, but i liked the sound, it wasn't too loud to use (admittedly I only had it set on 2). It was more than I'd want to spend at £1600, i wouldn't use it enough to justify it.

So if anyone has any suggestions say around a £500 max budget? Ideally with a built in reverb?

I do have a THR10C... But if I'm honest i don't give it very inspiring to play.

I realise this is a subjective question and I'm sure one with lots of answers.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7688
    Without wishing to draw down the “do they sound identical” arguments yet again - could consider a used Tonemaster Princeton. Might be a smidge more than your budget - I’ve not paid close attention to used values 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Acdeezee86Acdeezee86 Frets: 29
    edited January 12
    Edit: @TimmyO beat me to it :) Tonemaster Princeton Reverb? I’m picking one up next week, hoping it will do exactly this

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1599
    @TimmyO i did think that might be an option, but a bit more than I wanted to spend. As for sound I'm sure for me close enough is good enough
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    Think @dangee has a vibrochamp for sale on here. Maybe that would work? 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    edited January 12
    Delta King 10 or 12
    Blackstar Studio 10 6L6
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1599
    @HAL9000 cheers, I shall have a look into them.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4215
    edited January 13
    TimmyO said:
    Without wishing to draw down the “do they sound identical” arguments yet again - could consider a used Tonemaster Princeton. Might be a smidge more than your budget - I’ve not paid close attention to used values 
    This.

TM Princetons are ~£5-600 used

Used 65s are ~£8-900
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Princeton 65.

:)

Not '65 Princeton ;).

They made a solid-state amp called the Princeton 65 - later the Princeton 65 DSP, with digital effects replacing the older spring reverb - in the 90s to maybe early 2000s. They're actually pretty nice if you ignore the overdrive channel as most people do - although it's possible to get semi-decent edgy dirty tones from it if you're careful - the clean channel is very Fendery and the reverb is decent. They typically sell for about £100-£150 in good condition.

That's a semi-serious suggestion by the way...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FWIW I picked up a Tonemaster Princeton for £500 exactly on Reverb, but that might have been me just getting lucky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 421
    Vibrochamp reverb
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    FWIW, I have a Princeton 65 Reissue (whatever the modern valve one is called) as my home amp. Never gigged it. Sits at 2.5 on the volume and sounds absolutely glorious regardless. 

Admittedly they were a lot cheaper when I bought mine but I don't regret it in the slightest. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4215
    FWIW I picked up a Tonemaster Princeton for £500 exactly on Reverb, but that might have been me just getting lucky.
    I’ve seen a couple at £500 but they don’t hang about! I might have to get one this year too…
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 268
    I’ve just bought a Super Champ XD, after reading some of the comments on here, surprised at how well it performs, used it already at a small gig with another guitar player and bass player, light as  feather and great for playing in the house. Have to say I was put off the X2 version because of the lack of software support and any potential issues that might cause, good luck in your quest.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9674
    Tonemaster PR
  • What about a vox pathfinder 15r? I’ve read glowing reviews, though never tried one
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    I preferentially use Princeton type circuits for anything that isn't high gain.
    Currently it is a Louis Electric Road Runner, which is an amazing amp and the addition of a mid control makes it more flexible.

But it is too loud for home use if you wan anything other that clean from the amp, which isn't really the point with those amps.

The Tonemaster Princeton is a good shout but if you are prepared to use a Tonemaster amp then any of them are potentially good. The Princeton only really makes sense if you prefer the Princeton circuit vs Deluxe, etc etc.

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1516
    On this quest I ended up with a Twin Reverb reissue (65). I figured if I could only get cleans from any Fender amp, I may as well get THE cleans, as well as the mids knob and two channels. 

It's lovely. I still glance at Princetons and the 68 Vibro Champ but that's because I have a problem.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    octatonic said:

But it is too loud for home use if you wan anything other that clean from the amp, which isn't really the point with those amps.
    I don't agree at all, the clean sound from them is fantastic and easily worth having at home volume regardless of what it sounds like louder.

GoFish said:
    On this quest I ended up with a Twin Reverb reissue (65). I figured if I could only get cleans from any Fender amp, I may as well get THE cleans, as well as the mids knob and two channels.
    Exactly. The Twin actually sounds *better* than the smaller models at very low volume, in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    What about a vox pathfinder 15r? I’ve read glowing reviews, though never tried one
    Friend has one. Ridiculously loud for a 15W solid-state amp, and sounds good too.

I feel that a decent analogue solid-state is a better option than a digital one. The Orange Crush Pro, Peavey Bandits, and Award-Session items are all great sounding amplifiers with good response and dynamics, and weigh substantially less than comparable valve amps.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it