SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted - PRS USA with SS frets?

What's Hot
LeiversaloneLeiversalone Frets: 344
edited April 24 in Guitars £
I love PRS!
I love stainless steel frets!
I can't get one!
At the moment I am PRS-less but I do not want to get another knowing that this particular detail will ultimately force me to move it on again.
Has anyone here modded a PRS with a SS refret and fancies something new?
Not too fussed on the model but would like a core USA and LP-like (McCarty would be nice) 
Fret size bigger the better. Road worn or players grade is better. Less expensive is better lol.
I do realise I could get it done myself but I don't live anywhere near anyone who could do the job so it would involve a lot of extra money and posting and general faff - before I take that route has anyone got something like this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I am tentatively looking for a player's grade Custom 22 or custom 24.  I have never seen one with SS frets but will let you know if I see one come up
  • Thanks - I'm sure a few folks will have had SS refrets, it's just whether they are ready to move them on . . .
  • What about getting a good deal on one with knackered nickel frets and getting the SS refret done? That would open up a lot more options
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    I've got a Mira and see them coming up for sale around £700 - £900. Great guitars and could leave plenty of change for a SS refret.

A CE22/24 might be a good target - maple bolt on so the neck could be removed for an easier refret. The finish on the CU models might make it a bit more expensive.
  • Thanks for the comments fellas - some good ideas - but alas I'm in the middle of Cornwall and don't know anyone local up to refret task, so then I've got the ss refret plus postage hassle, it could add £500 to the bill. It is a longshot but I figured it was worth checking in case someone had a standard or a CE that had already been refretted. 

If there isn't one around I will probably look for a mahog style Suhr instead. Which is probably a cool option in itself.
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 227
    east_ldn said:
    I am tentatively looking for a player's grade Custom 22 or custom 24.  I have never seen one with SS frets but will let you know if I see one come up
    I’ve got a reasonably priced cu22 hardtail on here. Nickel frets though! 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    edited February 15
    I have a Gibson Les Paul Stop Tail Axcess in iced tea with SS frets...

weighs 3.2kg

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/256050/gibson-les-paul-axcess-stop-tail-burny-les-paul-ss-frets?new=1

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yuri_1973yuri_1973 Frets: 101
    Harley Benton CST range ("PRS styled") have SS frets ... just sayin'
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I think the luthier from The Repair Shop is based in Penzance (Julian Wallis). He might be able to do an SS refret for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    drwiddly said:
    I think the luthier from The Repair Shop is based in Penzance (Julian Wallis). He might be able to do an SS refret for you.
    https://guitardoctor.co.uk/price-list/

Definitely will from the looks of things. Refrets are ‘POA’ but that’s reasonable as there are too many factors to give a flat rate. 

Hope it works out!

• Thank you dudes - valuable information! 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Thanks for the comments fellas - some good ideas - but alas I'm in the middle of Cornwall and don't know anyone local up to refret task, so then I've got the ss refret plus postage hassle, it could add £500 to the bill. It is a longshot but I figured it was worth checking in case someone had a standard or a CE that had already been refretted. 

If there isn't one around I will probably look for a mahog style Suhr instead. Which is probably a cool option in itself.
    Matt Kemp of Kemp guitar fame is based down there too, Helston I think, and he does SS frets as he's put some on a few guitars he made me :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love PRS - but for shred and fast playing my Suhr Modern Custom would never go for a PRS. They’re brilliant. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 835
    I have this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166617645944?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=NwyHSZQgQM6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=NwyHSZQgQM6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'd be happy to ship direct to your luthier of choice for a stainless refret, or take it to someone local to me for the work before posting.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    There was a PRS with SS frets floating around for sale for a while in the south Wales area.  Not sure what happened to it but might be worth scouring the Facebook south wales gear groups, and I think it was on Gumtree at one point as well.

As it happens I know the guy who once owned it and did the refret.  He runs his own guitar tech business on the side and has done a few SS refrets - he's a big fan of Tom Anderson guitars and was frustrated that PRS didn't offer SS frets, so solved the problem himself!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• This will be available at 1500. It’s a 1991 PRS CE24 with original hard case. Drop me a line if you’re interested.
    Regards,
    Paul
    https://i.imgur.com/51hiVg4.jpg