Les paul custom new or old?

What's Hot
billandobillando Frets: 32
Contemplating getting a gibson les paul custom after i sell some other stuff. How does brand new customs compare to older and what would be best eras and eras to avoid? Btw i dont want coil tapping or any fancy stuff just a nice resonant ebony les paul.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• edited February 21
    You're going to get a lot of opinions on certain era guitars being good or bad in regard to whether they are pre-Norlin, Norlin or post-Norlin etc, whether they have pancake bodies, multiple-piece necks, a volute, a 14 degree neck angle, this or that pick up etc, since all of these varied features, can be found, or not found on older Customs. Opinions vary, being coloured by people's experience of these things, so it's often best to just have hold of the guitar in question and see for yourself how those features affect the sound and integrity of the instrument and whether it agrees with your own preferences, but the one thing which defnitely does make a difference on how a Custom plays, is the frets, and that genuinely is an age-specific feature...

The older (pre-mid Seventies) Les Paul Custom was the 'fretless wonder', with its wide and extremely low profile fret wire which made it possible to have a seriously low action. However, this was a feature largely geared toward pleasing jazz players, but not really conducive to making serious bluesy bends easier to pull off, which is why Gibson stopped doing it when Seventies rock was the thing.

As you know, the flatter radius of a typical Gibson does make bending notes without them choking out easier than it is on a more curved 'Fender-esque' fretboard, but that very low action on one of the 'fretless wonder' Customs will negate that advantage a bit if you do have the action as low as it can possibly go. The plus side of course is they are easier to play chords on up at the dusty end when like that; good for sliding chords in particular, so if you are going all 'Nice' and aren't bending notes left right and centre, it could be a good thing, but if you're going all Gary Moore on the thing or tapping stuff all over the fretboard and then whacking out power chords which would buzz like crazy with a very low action, it might be better to avoid one of those fretless wonders.

In truth, probably most of those old pre-late Seventies fretless wonders will have been re-fretted by now, and as far as I'm aware it's difficult to get hold of fret wire of that type nowadays anyway, so refretting one like that today would involve a bit of grinding work, not that this is impossible, but I'd imagine most of what were originally fretless wonders would have non-original wide and low frets on them these days, which would be 2.69mm wide x 0,91mm tall. That is, to be fair, still pretty goddam low, especially after a bit of levelling and dressing.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    My '96 is better than the 2017 it replaced. Although a sample size of two is basically worthless, so all I can really offer is best of luck on your search!
    Tim
  • Given the consistent quality of Gibson builds these days vs crazy asking price for older customs, I’d probably go new. Especially given the chance to try a few - but I’m partial to LPs with slim necks & can be a bit picky,
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Just take your time, play a few, and see what feels/sounds good to you. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    I've had modern Custom Shop ones and old ones; the older ones were always better, in my personal experience. 
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031

I've got a 77 (Norlin) which is great, small frets as detailed above, I like it a lot and enjoy some of the 70's oddity’s like the Maple neck. All that said it is very heavy and that seems to be a thing with 70’s customs as I’ve got a 77 standard too and it’s a much more respectable weight.

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 364
    After owning a MIJ epi with open book headstock, a 68ri and a '78,
    I'd say try until you find one you like at a price that's reasonable to you. 
    In a band or recorded mix,  the year, neck angle, neck wood etc won't matter and they all look equally cool AF being customs. 

Were I to get another one, I'd look for a light one with an ebony board but that's where my pedantry would end. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1254
    Owned 1979 (cack), Played a lot 1988 BB (Amazing) when i was younger, currently have on long term loan 2004 CS first year they made them in CS. All LPC. Auditioned a fair few new shop standards, 1-2 customs when looking for one 2 years ago an ended up with an eastman.
    Of the three i have lived with, id say anything post mid 80s - 2004/5 prob fine. (Rumours of crapper guitars post 2005-recently.)
    The 2004 CS i have completely fallen for ill be honest, didnt expect to. Second hand prices on those realistic is 3k. The finish isnt great with lipping etc, but my god it sounds glorious and nice shaped neck. Feels and sounds very much the real deal.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1134
    In my limited experience, I'd stay away from late 70s ones, unless you like 14 lb guitars with sloppy QC. My best mate had a 78 LP Custom 25/50 and it was woefully bad. Every other late 70s one I've played since has been below average to dire. 

I've said in a previous threat that I just don't understand why Customs are twice the price of Standards, other than they're priced that way because people will pay it. Heroes guitars I suppose.
  • Jay100Jay100 Frets: 33
    I have a 2022 ‘standard’ Les Paul Custom - the straight up one rather than a specific year reissue.

I can’t speak for older or vintage ones, but this particular one I own is fantastic - best guitar I’ve ever owned or played and I’ve had the pleasure of owning and playing some excellent guitars.

Reasonable weight, excellent build, loads of mojo and sustains/resonates like nothing else!

I’ve heard - annecdotaly - that post ‘21-22 Gibson quality, both USA  and Custom started to slide again after the push a few years before under new management became old news. Make of that what you will, but I think as always with Gibson, go and try specific guitars!
  • Jay100Jay100 Frets: 33
    I agree they shouldn’t be twice the price, but one piece backs, double binding and ebony boards I imagine run at some material and labour premium.

In my experience, and this will be controversial to some, the Custom Shop Gibsons are another level to USA production. Materials, fit, finish etc.

Again, I don’t think they’re twice the price, but it depends what you want - nostalgia and childhood heroes included!
    In my limited experience, I'd stay away from late 70s ones, unless you like 14 lb guitars with sloppy QC. My best mate had a 78 LP Custom 25/50 and it was woefully bad. Every other late 70s one I've played since has been below average to dire. 

I've said in a previous threat that I just don't understand why Customs are twice the price of Standards, other than they're priced that way because people will pay it. Heroes guitars I suppose.

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    I've a 57 RI Custom. It is superb. I didnt play any standard ones when i bought it tho.
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    edited February 22
    I have a 1990 LPC and it is .. just right. Weighty but not heavy, properly authoritative tone, great sustain and a neck profile that is a comfy handful.
    i did change out the caps to a lower value 0.015uF ( Russian pio for the nerds) and there is not a bad tone to be had.
    the original pots are CTS dimple back and very low torque.
    the guitar just is a belter and whilst the headstock laquer is peeling off , the rest of the guitar is holding up very well for a near 35yr old guitar.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14520
    The only worthwhile approach is to visit a few music shops and get yer mitts on the guitars. If/when you find one that meets your expectations, buy it.

Be patient. It took me five years to persuade the previous owner of my LP Standard P90 Goldtop to part with it. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I've a 57 RI Custom. It is superb. I didnt play any standard ones when i bought it tho.
    Yeah same. Mine's a headstock repair. I drilled a bigsby into it in a fit of lockdown madness. It weighs as much as a coffee table. It's great
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    edited February 23
    I had a beaten up ebony 76. It had all the ‘wrong things’ about it - volute, pancake body you name it it weighed a ton and it was bloody lovely! Had a white 80’s one and it was shit! Dead and lifeless. I wish I still had the 76……….
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13948
    New ones seem to be coming in at 9 1/2 to 10lb weight wise, vs new R9s which are typically coming in at 8 1/2 x 9 lb, plus a new white one is hard to find, they are mostly black.

I think I might lean towards a new ‘54 Custom if it were me, with the P90 and Staple pickups.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27143
    I don’t think there’s enough consistency to say one year is always better than any other. 

Best thing you can do is try lots and buy whichever one speaks to you
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5057
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom