Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mr Brightside

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
in Technique tFB Trader
Need to learn this for a dep gig I'm doing in October. 

All the tabs on the net seem to require a tortuous contortion to play. 

What's the easiest way to do it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @stickyfiddle is your man for this I believe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    edited September 2013
    I wouldn't call it easy, but the correct way is:

x-17-16-19-17-0

x-16-16-19-17-0

15-x-16-19-17-0

I keep 2nd finger on D string and 1st on the A for the first shape, then use 1st finger on both A&D for the second, then swap so the 2nd finger is on the D and the first fingers drops down to the the 15th of the E string.

The tricky bit really is the G&B strings with your other 2 fingers. Once you get used to the position it's ok.

EDIT: IIRC the original record is tuned down a semitone, which isn't helpful. You can downtune the high E to Eb and move the whole position down one fret if you need to play it in the original key. Or even down to D & 2 frets as my last band did. You can get away with doing the rest of the song without that string if you're careful :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Thanks fella that's really helpful.

I'll have to check with them if they do it in the original key or not.
    I was trying to work out the riff from the record, but I didn't realise it was detuned so I was coming up with some pretty horrible shapes to play it.
  • Also, Try capo at 4th fret, or tune the e flat.
  • Hey mate, I used to play this and found the best way was to detune the top E string down half a step. It's stil hard on the fingers but persevere with it, took me time but sounds bang on this way. A bass player once told me I was one of only two players he'd ever heard play it corfectly !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @monquixote

I have a lick library video in wmv format which I got when they did a free LTP download day so should be OK to share.

If you wish I could upload it to dropbox for you, roughly 44MB.

It is by the dude from LL who does the Blackstar newer demos whose name escapes me at the mo.

Pretty sure he states it is downtuned a semitone on the vid.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Yeah that would be ace ta!
  • No worries @monquixote just let me know an email address to invite and I will get er done.
  • I find playing that song much easier if you shorten your strap so your wrist isn't twisting as much..
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• Been playing this for a year. Don't try it on a les paul! Other than that citizen68 is spot on...
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I've got a spot on note for note tab for the verse, bridge, chorus and solo worked out with my guitar teacher.  I cant play the verse well (it's a biatch), but the rest is good and easy.  If you want to pm me an address to send it I'm happy to do so.
  • That is the wmv shared if anyone wants to download it, ping me an email address.
  • The same thing happened to me for a wedding gig... I used the tab below and it worked for me.  The open string is necessary so had to tune my guitar down half a step as the band had learnt it in the original key.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/k/killers/mr_brightside_ver2_tab.htm

As above, do not try on a LP!  And also as above, I shortened my strap a bit.
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    edited September 2013
    JOHNNY,any chance i could get that vid off you please?
  • @keithf

No worries message me with an email address to invite.
  • I play it on a LP without any issues, so i'm not sure what the deal is with that.

I found it more awkward with a Strat, because playing it that that part of the neck tended to pull the trem a bit, and make it sound slightly out of tune.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    My lot play it up a semitone to save any tuning shenanigans, so all the same positions as the original version. I find it a swine to play too. Once you're in the right shape for the verse its not too bad but it feels like an awkward jump out of the chorus.

The bridge also has one particularly awkward stretch on the F# chord (G for us), its a right ballache! Can simplify it by leaving the low F# out of the arpeggio and substituting a higher one - doesn't sound as good but barely noticeable live and a zillion times easier. I think their guitarist might have abnormally long fingers.

I do find it hard to reach on my LP too, much easier on my Tele.

All that said, I'm a bassist who pretends to be a guitarist so might just be me!
  • @monquixote I cheat. Tune the guitar to (low to high) Eb Ab Db Ab Db Eb then bar the 12th fret and move the bass note

X-X-12-12-12-12
    X-X-11-12-12-12
    X-10-X-12-12-12
    X-10-X-12-12-12

Second part of the verse

X-2-X-0-0-0
    X-0-X-0-0-0
    3-X-X-0-0-0
    3-X-X-0-0-0

Chorus you can play D5 G5 B5 A5 and leave the high strings open.

This isn't 100% to the record but I've been getting away with it for about 4 years now. I think this is how i play it but i'm at my desk in work with no guitar in sight.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    citizen68 said:
    I find playing that song much easier if you shorten your strap so your wrist isn't twisting as much..
    I have to do a sort of wide-legged stance with the base of the guitar resting on top of my right thigh and play the intro with the neck pointing almost vertically up.  It kind of looks like the rock n roll bastard love-child of Johnny Ramone and Slash but it's the only way I can play this fucking song! :-)
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371

fair doo's its a pig!

really struggling with this one.