How many more times on BBC4

What's Hot
Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1986
edited March 1 in Music
...are they going to show Freddy Mercury and Queen documentaries. Bar a few tracks they were bobbins. Some of their albums are dire and not a single good track on them IMO. Like many bands were underrated Queen, again IMNSHO were always overrated. 1 and 2 and SHA were reasonably good albums but beyond that they pandered to the audience and were never as good after that.

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3055
    What times it on? Asking for a friend.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    Devil#20 said:
    ...are they going to show Freddie Mercury and Queen documentaries?
    That old content is on AGAIN as a cheap alternative for viewers who do not care for whatever is being shown on BBC1 or BBC2. (Eurovision Song Contest preview hype.)  

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3349
    Queen are the only fools and horses of music. People who claim to love them can only name a few classics and conviently forget the rubbish. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10722
    Devil#20 said:
    1 and 2 and SHA were reasonably good albums

(The third of which is in D, by the way)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    That's still way behind Sky Arts who will happily show hour after hour after hour of Andre Rieu. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4943
    I thought this was going to be a Led Zep thread.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28689
    Queen are the only fools and horses of music. People who claim to love them can only name a few classics and conviently forget the rubbish. 
    Yet more proof that we need wizlols. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7107
    edited March 2
    They’ll keep showing them while Queen remain popular and relevant.

With about 300 million album sales they’re one of the most successful bands in history, and remain enormously popular on streaming.  The remains of the band still tour with Adam Lambert and pack out stadiums worldwide, and to be frank the audience are not there primarily for Lambert.

The biographical film Bohemian Rhapsody grossed over $1 billion, which is pretty unusual for a musical biopic.  Evidently people are fascinated by the life stories and personalities beyond the music.

Although you don’t like Queen, plenty of people obviously do.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    There has been no new content produced for BBC4 for years now due to BBC cuts. So they keep recycling the same material and so on their rock/pop music night that's going to start seeming obvious after a while. 
    But Queen pretty much one of the biggest bands in the history of modern popular music, it's not hard to see it as a safe bet tucked into Friday night. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24625
    I love them.

And I don’t care that there’s dross with the excellence. That’s true of every band. Apart from Pink Floyd as they never had a single good song.

ooo! Music is subjective! Whodathunkit? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 313
    Fishing Pole Emoji U1F3A3

I thought this thread was going was going to be about the Led Zep doc they had on the other night too. Not that I got to see much of it as good lady wife hates Plant's voice and insisted I change the channel.

I'm also one of those who doesn't quite get Queen's apparent monstrous appeal. Every time I hear that their Greatest Hits is the best selling album in UK history I succumb to a momentary bafflement followed quickly after by relief that I never bought it myself.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11877
    Quite a good analogy - but aren't most bands the same?

Very few consistently reach the quality across their catalogue that their most ardent fans attribute to them.

Queen are probably exceptional in that very few people who claim Queen to be their favourite band own more than that box set with the three greatest hits albums in (back when owning things was a thing).
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • edited March 2
    Cols said:
    With about 300 million album sales they’re one of the most successful bands in history,
    Then again, even Milli Vanilli managed to shift eight million albums. 

Not a big fan of Queen myself, but if others like them then fair enough. The Bohemian Rhapsody movie was an okay watch to be fair, largely because of Rami Malek doing an excellent job, but like most biopics, it bears about as much relation to the truth as the average speech by a politician.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6527
    BBC4 is now basically an iPlayer of old stuff for people who haven’t worked out how to use iplayer.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 741
    All those kinds of channels seem to be repeats of repeats of repeats... 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23094
    BBC4 is now basically an iPlayer of old stuff for people who haven’t worked out how to use iplayer.
    scrumhalf said:
    That's still way behind Sky Arts who will happily show hour after hour after hour of Andre Rieu. 
    I like to imagine there's a big tape reel that they just leave running.  One day the tape will break and there'll be nothing on for weeks until somebody notices.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7107
    snowblind said:
    Fishing Pole Emoji U1F3A3

I thought this thread was going was going to be about the Led Zep doc they had on the other night too. Not that I got to see much of it as good lady wife hates Plant's voice and insisted I change the channel.
    Argh, missed this, what was it called?  Is it on iPlayer?

*Cue legion of people chiming in to comment that they think Led Zep are shit*
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    scrumhalf said:
    My theory is that Rieu is a SKY Television shareholder.

By the metric of live performances per year and revenue generated, Rieu is a colossal success. Somebody out there likes him. A skeptical person might say that television stations need to have something to broadcast between the adverts.

Cols said:
    snowblind said:
    I thought this thread was going was going to be about the Led Zep doc they had on the other night
    Argh, missed this, what was it called?  Is it on iPlayer?
    Led Zeppelin: In The Light, shown in four parts on SKY Arts. Hence, no iPlayer style replay option for Freeview punters such as I.

Not to worry. The series will be repeated again fairly soon. Which was pretty much the point of this Discussion to begin with.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Part 3 of the Led Zep thing is on tonight at 22:45. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12424
    edited March 3
    There has been no new content produced for BBC4 for years now due to BBC cuts. So they keep recycling the same material and so on their rock/pop music night that's going to start seeming obvious after a while. 
    But Queen pretty much one of the biggest bands in the history of modern popular music, it's not hard to see it as a safe bet tucked into Friday night. 
    The problem is whoever is in charge of the Friday night repeats obviously doesn’t like anything heavier than Queen. Even then it’s more usually Carole King, Neil Diamond, Dusty Springfield etc etc. The Beeb must have other stuff in the can, where’s all the rock, metal, world music or jazz shows?