School me pls on Gibson ES-335's

What's Hot
OctavioOctavio Frets: 152
edited March 9 in Guitar
As a big birthday is approaching I thought I'd buy something sensible.

I've see endless threads on the quality of Les Paul's - eras, good woods, production facilities, benefits of different models in the range etc.

Can anyone well schooled give me the quick low down on the 335 range and what's generally considered decent? Likely going used to get the bang. £2-2.5K.

Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of going and playing a load. Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PennPenn Frets: 630
    edited March 9
    The big question is how much do you want to spend? 

I have an early Memphis Es-345.  I guess they would be about £2500-3000. I love it. Few bits of the binding aren’t perfect and the f holes aren’t perfectly blacked but it’s a great guitar. 

Edit - you probably know but 335 -345 - 355 is the original price and the up charges are for extras. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 152
    edited March 9
    Well I had a very healthy budget, but then an unexpected £10k house bill for a wall put an end to that.

So now it's £2 - £2.5K for used.

I'm aware moving up the numbers to the daddy (the 355), gradually gets more expensive. But then it's gets a bit confusing with differences in body shape. Like the 339 is smaller if I recall. Then there's 'dots', studios, Memphis/Nashville builds etc. It's a minefield.
    Biggest thing is to decide size first I reckon. Do you want a full size 335 or a 339?

I don’t reckon there’s much difference between the Memphis and Nashville standard production stuff. The press for the tops and backs was the from kalamazoo. They just moved it about. I think they will all be good guitars. 

The other thing to think about is if you want a specific year reissue or if you’re happy to have a standard model. 
    Mines an early 2000s one with a 60s slim neck. It does stereo but it has two jack sockets not a stereo jack which is much more practical as you can just run it in mono on one jack and stereo  you plug into the second jack. 

There’s a few new ES—345 kicking around for 3k. They don’t have the varitone. That maybe a good or bad thing depending on what you like. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 1Strat2many1Strat2many Frets: 54
    If you can, check out a few from the 90’s or 00’s. I have played a number of these that were great Guitars. Langley Guitar Centre ( no connection ) have two very nice looking ones, a Cherry 2009 and a Natural 2003, decent weights too and both around your price range. If I didn’t already have my “allowed” 335 ration (!) i’d be on these myself in a jiffy.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4869
    I'm a brand snob and tbh usually I'd suggest always going for the big brand if that's what you've set your heart on it.

That being said, I got a Tokai used and it's great, all I'll caveat it with is the thing pisses me off occasionally!! That's me though so don't think it's the guitar, it's every bit as good as the Gibson 335 I once had. So is a Gibson all you would consider?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11468
    I picked up a Custom Shop reissue when they were going cheap after Gibson's chapter 11 bankruptcy thing 5 or so years ago.  It was significantly lighter than a regular factory one in the shop, and was a lot more responsive.

If you could find a lighter one from the regular factory, it may be better.

Years ago, I tried a Heritage against a normal production Gibson.  I preferred the Heritage.
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 152
    Boromedic said:
    I'm a brand snob and tbh usually I'd suggest always going for the big brand if that's what you've set your heart on it.

That being said, I got a Tokai used and it's great, all I'll caveat it with is the thing pisses me off occasionally!! That's me though so don't think it's the guitar, it's every bit as good as the Gibson 335 I once had. So is a Gibson all you would consider?
    I think because of the occasion I'd like to go with the Gibson. I've never had one so it's a childhood thing. But I'm with you on Tokais, Greco's and all things Japanese.

The Heritage is tempting as mentioned by @crunchman. I've heard many say they perform very well and they're pretty much Gibsons considering they were using the old Gibson machinery (at least for the older ones). Collings are beautiful guitars too, but way above budget.

@penn The grain on that 345 is a thing of beauty. Love those inlays.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    If you need the name on the headstock then it has to be a Gibson 335, otherwise you will always regret not getting one, every time you play it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 289
    edited March 9
    Edit: Not relevant. 
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 872
    I know you’ve said you want Gibson on the headstock, but I recently played forum member Corvus’s Greco and it was lovely… and I own a ‘62 335
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    Just play some if you can.

All the “good wood era” stuff is absolute horse shit that wankers use to up their asking price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1494
    @penn is bang on. 335s are absolutely massive. Chunky to sit with. Tricky to play if you’re not hyooowg.  Play em. Maybe it’s not for you. And if they are, apparently Collings do em better. 
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 293
    Been hunting for a 335 for ages and have tried a good few over the years. Nice guitars but they're all over the map regarding sound and weight imo. None of them have been bad but a few non-custom shop ones didn't seem that exciting - boring looks, dry and pale fretboards. Custom shops with really fat necks and bridges set high (not necessarily a problem i understand but looked weird) and expensive. Old ones with necks thinner than a 90s ibanez.....

Got tired of looking tbh but persisted because they suit me a shade better than LPs. Then walked into a shop and found a Collings that tipped every box. Sound, weight, neck, resonance, looks (except it doesnt look like a 335) The first new guitar I've bought probably for 20 years. Now I'm happy but broke!

I will say in favour of newer standard series Gibbos that most seem to have a rounded C neck profile which is a pretty nice shape for me. 
    @penn is bang on. 335s are absolutely massive. Chunky to sit with. Tricky to play if you’re not hyooowg.  Play em. Maybe it’s not for you. And if they are, apparently Collings do em better. 
    Yeah they are big. I’m only 5’ 10” but I have arms like a monkey… 
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1494
    Penn said:
    Yeah they are big. I’m only 5’ 10” but I have arms like a monkey… 
    Well. Good luck bro. 
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 293
    No problems being 5' 10" and playing a 335 style guitar in my book :)

No issues with the size standing up but sat down you have to give em some respect (and space!) They work for me though but sit differently to teles, strats and so on. 
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 872
    I’m 5’6’n half inches short and have absolutely no problems playing my 335.
       The only issue I have is when sitting down playing, as the old Bigsby is quite heavy and can feel a bit off balance…small price to pay for the best guitar I’ve ever played.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    edited March 9
    I reckon @Petepassion ’62 335 is the nicest guitar anyone owns on this site, I’d give my nutsack (balls included) to own it.

Seriously though, I couldn’t justify it, even if I could afford it.

I’m also in the same boat, can’t play loads, budget is roughly the same etc. I bought an Epiphone Dot recently to scratch the itch. It’s taken the edge off but I still want something ‘proper’. 

However, I’m not/never too arsed about brand. As long as it’s light, nice neck, sounds great, I’m happy. 

I’ll take a proper Gibson ES335 if it ticks all the boxes but I’d also be happy with any of the other contenders from Heritage, Tokai, Maybach, Eastman etc etc. In fact the Eastman T59V is tickling my fancy because of the vintage appointments. Some of them are sooo light too.

I’m just enjoying looking and being on the hunt atm. It’s good stuff.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4161
    Penn said:
    Biggest thing is to decide size first I reckon. Do you want a full size 335 or a 339?

I don’t reckon there’s much difference between the Memphis and Nashville standard production stuff. The press for the tops and backs was the from kalamazoo. They just moved it about. I think they will all be good guitars. 

The other thing to think about is if you want a specific year reissue or if you’re happy to have a standard model. 
    Mines an early 2000s one with a 60s slim neck. It does stereo but it has two jack sockets not a stereo jack which is much more practical as you can just run it in mono on one jack and stereo  you plug into the second jack. 

There’s a few new ES—345 kicking around for 3k. They don’t have the varitone. That maybe a good or bad thing depending on what you like. 

ES-345’s are pretty special imo, Gibson have some nice-looking black ones going for £2.7k direct. I was tempted by one of these myself recently but ended up getting the ‘64 VOS Trini Lopez mode
  • randellarandella Frets: 4227
    I have a couple of 335s, an early (71) Norlin era Gibson and an Ibanez knockoff (Artcore?)

My lower spine is a disaster area (surgery to pull bits of it out etc.)  but I find the 335 shape suits me perfectly. Something to do with the way the neck kicks back and sits in the hand. 

I'm with you on the advice though, go and play a few. May well be an acquired taste. They are big.