1976? Gibson Les Paul Custom Norlin era

What's Hot
LogieLogie Frets: 444
edited April 12 in Guitar
A colleague at work brought this to me today to see if I knew anyone who could repair the headstock. I don’t but maybe someone on here does?
It actually still holds tune although the frets are almost level with the fretboard.
I weighed it on our calibrated scales at work and it’s a solid 11.05 lbs. I guessed 10lb

https://imgur.com/gallery/X99UMMI
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4911
    I'd send it to @FelineGuitars ;personally, but that's an expensive refurb like. Looks a mess, but might be worth it to someone despite the mass!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2436
    Yep, I'd get it to Feline or to Steve at the Guitar Repair Workshop in Salford.
    Tim
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2469
    edited April 12
    That's the worst refinish of a neck I've ever seen, however even at that it's probably worth the best part of £3k in repaired and good condition. 

Personally if it was mine I'd spend up to about £1500 getting it sorted, particularly if it had any sentimental value

I agree Feline would be a very good choice for the repair
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 165
    Has somebody repainted the neck with Dulux gloss?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4911
    Has somebody repainted the neck with Dulux gloss?
    Over artex.....

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11644
    tFB Trader
    Oof - that's a weighty one!
    Certainly looks like it's lived a life.
    There is a lot that "could" be done to it, but depends what the owner has in mind .

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10816
    tFB Trader
    It's also proper gorgeous - even in a mess it's pretty ... but then I'm odd :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1611
    ^ Yeah, and looks like it's certainly lived life. I think it'd be a sin not to spend the money getting it playable again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2469
    I'd be inclined to get the neck repaired, refret the guitar (don't worry about replacing the binding), refinish the neck, get rid of the Bigsby (replace the tailpiece with a relic period correct one) and get it set up and playable.
    I'm no expert but £650 would probably cover most of that?

Seems money well spent on a guitar that presumably must sound good or it wouldn't have been played to death as it has been
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    tFB Trader
    If it could tell stories .... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• LogieLogie Frets: 444
    edited April 12
    The neck has indeed been hand painted at some point by his Dad ( now deceased ) in the distant past for whatever reason but the binding on the neck isn’t missing. He painted over that as well!
    The frets are almost level with the fretboard they’re so low but they’re not ridged at all so it’s almost like he had them levelled like that for ease of playing
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1032
    Logie said:
    The neck has indeed been hand painted at some point by his Dad ( now deceased ) in the distant past for whatever reason but the binding on the neck isn’t missing. He painted over that as well!
    The frets are almost level with the fretboard they’re so low but they’re not ridged at all so it’s almost like he had them levelled like that for ease of playing
    Those frets are what Gibson called fretless wonders in the 70's - basically almost not there - I've got a 77 Custom and it's the same.

I'm with @OilCityPickups I think that guitar looks great and it could be returned to use, granted its very heavy, but that is in keeping with 70's customs ;)
    I took the strings off and checked the pickups etc. and they all seem original ( T Tops, ABR-1 bridge, 300k pots ) so apart from the Bigsby pretty much stock.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19129
    I'd love that to have to fix up. Very cool guitar, but also needs a vintage pin up girl sticker for maximum post ironic rock cliche  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @webrthomson ;
    It’s with me at the moment as he left work early and although I’ve never had an urge for a Custom or vintage guitar it’s definitely got that mojo people talk about.
    @FelineGuitars ;
    Would you have a ballpark figure of how much a repair to the headstock would run to?
    tFB Trader
    You see - an immaculate shiny Les Paul of any kind doesn't get my mouth watering ... I like em a bit ratty and 'firked' ... if it reeks of beer and fags I feel right at home ... 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1032
    Logie said:
    @webrthomson ;
    It’s with me at the moment as he left work early and although I’ve never had an urge for a Custom or vintage guitar it’s definitely got that mojo people talk about.

I agree - 70's customs should not work, too heavy, maple neck, silly frets and meh pickups but some how that when added together does work, goodness knows how…

I'd send that to Feline to get the neck fixed, sanded and refretted :)

You see - an immaculate shiny Les Paul of any kind doesn't get my mouth watering ... I like em a bit ratty and 'firked' ... if it reeks of beer and fags I feel right at home ... 
    ^ This, that guitar has had to work hard for that patina, cleaning it would be down right disrespectful :)

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7089
    tFB Trader
    Logie said:
    I weighed it on our calibrated scales at work and it’s a solid 11.05 lbs. I guessed 10lb

https://imgur.com/gallery/X99UMMI
    It would be more like 10 with all the brass replaced with original plastics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72736
    What a mess :(. That brass junk is an absolute dog's dinner and really isn't helping with the weight as SteveRobinson said.

Personally I would strip the whole thing down to the body finish (which looks just about OK), strip the neck and refinish it after the headstock repair, and rebuild it with all new hardware, but I know I'm unfashionable like that...

I do like a Bigsby on a Les Paul, but I have to admit that removing it would reduce the weight by more than a pound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein