Birds Eye Potato Waffles advert, not 1976.

What's Hot
JfingersJfingers Frets: 369
edited April 18 in Off Topic

Has anyone else ever had a long conversation about the lyrical content of this jingle?
Does anyone agree that "Waffely versatile" Is a substitute for "Awfully Versatile"

Help me out here!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    Yes. "Waffley versatile" is, I would say, obviously a comical variation of "awfully versatile".

Also I remember that advert despite apparently only being 1 when it was launched. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Sporky said:
    Yes. "Waffley versatile" is, I would say, obviously a comical variation of "awfully versatile".

Also I remember that advert despite apparently only being 1 when it was launched. 
    100% agree with this, even down to the age.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 369
    Thank you Sporky, this is validation enough. Mrs J was 2 when that ad was launched I believe. I'm 7 years older and remember the tune being different but the words very similar. I'm guessing various incarnations ran for several years.

PSA: For any readers that got an earworm from this post, just think of Geno by Dexy's for a sec. My mate's band shared a video of that today and even their version will be there for weeks. You're welcome.
    I asked Lady BMcH too. She agreed, and gave me a freshly baked brownie, which I mention only because it was delicious.

I think that version has been slightly hacked up - it's essentially as I remember it but the rhythm jumps in places. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    edited April 17
    I remember the advert when it came out. When I saw the thread title, I sang it in my head....in the correct key. Deep, nasty, insidious brainwashing. It works extremely well but it can fuck off. 

And yet in real advertising terms, it didn't actually work for me. I've never bought or eaten them/it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5516
    My other half recently cut some up and used them as the topping on a cottage pie, which proves that they are indeed waffly versatile.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11770
    edited April 17
    I was 16 when this ad came out but unusually for me (being a lover of '70s pop culture) I don't remember it.

Next up will be the Findus Crispy Pancakes ad, which June Whitfield would have us believe were so good your guests would  believe you'd cooked them yourself.

Like feck they would.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    the_jaffa said:
    Sporky said:

100% agree with this, even down to the age.
    Agreed, but I was a lot older than 1.  I still sing that song quite frequently.
    I miss out most of the middle, and go straight from "waffley versatile" to "grill 'em..." 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12376
    Sporky said:
    I asked Lady BMcH too. She agreed, and gave me a freshly baked brownie, which I mention only because it was delicious.

I think that version has been slightly hacked up - it's essentially as I remember it but the rhythm jumps in places. 
    If I asked her about the advert would I  get a freshly baked brownie?
    I'll ask. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6841
    Jfingers said:

Has anyone else ever had a long conversation about the lyrical content of this jingle?
    Does anyone agree that "Waffely versatile" Is a substitute for "Awfully Versatile"

Help me out here!

Rhythms more that most rap and R&B songs from nowadays.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Rhythms more that most rap and R&B songs from nowadays.
    Bit early to be drinking? 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6497
    Date is wrong - no wonder so many of us remember it. They weren't introduced until 1981, so no chance this advert is from 1976.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6497
    edited April 17
    I mean, I know they are waffly versatile, but I doubt their uses extend to time travel!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18801
    Date is wrong - no wonder so many of us remember it. They weren't introduced until 1981, so no chance this advert is from 1976.
    Coming here with your correct 'facts' :-D
    https://www.birdseye.co.uk/our-brands/waffles
  • BtrcuBtrcu Frets: 99
    edited April 17
    In the same vein, I clearly remember the words and  to the birdseye steakhouse grills ad - 

Never eaten a steakhouse grill in my life though.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7264
    If you're old enough to have cooked any of them yourself when they first came out, then you will most likely also have fancied a shag with the Oxo gravy lady; remembered Jif when it was spelled with a "J" and not a "C"; and Oil of Ulay when it was spelled with a "U" and not an "O".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12351
    Yeah but just how do Do It All do it?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 240
    Just another tag line that found its way into the common vernacular.

Simples.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.