SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED - WTB - Cornish Compressor or Boost

What's Hot
ReflexReflex Frets: 62
edited May 23 in FX £
Hi All

As per title, anyone got one?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ReflexReflex Frets: 62
    Ended up with an Effectrode PC-2A
    Effectrode sadly didn’t work out…. Still looking
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 289
    Compressor & boost on eBay: OC-1 for £385 or TB 83 for £285.
  • rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 31
    edited May 20
    Have you considered the Echoline pedals. They have some very close copies of the Cornish pedals and have very good reviews on this forum. I think Wazmeister has a couple of the pedals and did a review.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9663
    Have you considered the Echoline pedals. They have some very close copies of the Cornish pedals and have ave very good reviews on this forum. I think Wazmeister has a couple of the pedals and did a review.

I think I may be able to help out here, having owned several Cornish and Echoline pedals.

1.) Compressor

The Cornish model is the OC1.
    It is a more subtle compressor, but beautiful sounding and has the excellent Cornish buffer in it.
    I've owned a few and really like it.

Alternatives

i.) As has already been stated, the Echoline pedals are excellent clones. They make the Vactrol, which is an exact copy of the OC1. Cheap as chips, and beautifully made. 

ii.) ThorpyFX Fat General - for me, this is in the same ball park as the OC1. Ultra quiet, superbly made, and is easy to use.
    The new black background yellow one looks awesome. This was my only live go to Compressor. 

2.) Boost

Now, the Cornish boost (my fave boost ever) is the NB3. The TB83 mentioned above is more of a treble boost. If you want a pure, unadulterated 'boost', the NB3 is the best, imho. 

Alternatives

i.) Again, turn to Echoline here. The Signal Drive is an exact copy of the NB3. I owned both side by side, and there was literally no difference between the two. The Signal Driver has that 'Back To The Future' style knob, and is smaller and arguably better looking than the Cornish.

I sold my NB3 and kept the Signal Driver.

Maybe @Echoline_Pedals and @ThorpyFX can chime in here, to add more knowledge :)

edited May 20
    Thank you @Wazmeister @rickd2112a @Revolutions ;;

Thank you for the feedback and recommendations, I’ll look into these  Compression is not an area I’m well versed in so appreciate the comments.

Im looking for a clean boost with the compression affecting my core tone as little as possible.  My two reference points to date would be the Pettyjohn Lift for boost and FTT Silky Comp for compression.  I also briefly tried the Effectrode PC 2A which was very interesting…
  • Thanks to both @rickd2112a and @Wazmeister for mentioning and recommending us in the thread!

I’m afraid we very recently discontinued the Vactrol (OC-1 clone) as we ran out of the rare NOS optocouplers (and some other parts) required to build them. We’re trying to hunt some more down, and nothing but the exact parts will be good enough. The OC-1 is a unique design, very transparent, and is another wonderful creation from the genius of Pete Cornish. If you can afford the original, I can highly recommend it!

As Waz mentions, the Signal Driver is a clone of the Cornish NB3 clean boost and they are readily available through our webstore.

Having said that, again, if you can afford the original version then definitely get the Cornish.

Our pedals are relatively affordable and readily available alternatives for those players who don’t want to join a waiting list and simply don’t have £450+ to spend on a pedal. You should always support the original designer if you can though :)

Thanks everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3487
    That is admirable, I love that ethos, @Echoline_Pedals. I can highly recommend the OC-1, I absolutely love mine.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 289
    I highly recommend the @Echoline_Pedals Signal Driver. And their drive pedals. Top quality stuff
    Well I got the Cornish OC1 off eBay in the end.  I would’ve been happy to try an Echoline but they seem hard to come by secondhand, which is testament in itself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom