Any reason I can’t use this extension lead in the garden

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2816
We’ve had this for a good number of years.  It’s 3 pin plug has been knocked / broken in the last couple of weeks so I want to replace the plug.
we have always used it for the lawn mower and strimmer.

it is marked 13A and 250V and would have been bought from B&Q/ Wickes or someone like that.
I would have bought it for outside but obviously don’t have the bag it came in.

it is WHITE, albeit the cable looks thickish at 8mm and rubberised rather than “smooth”

I have in the meantime started using an orange one I bought a few years ago for something, probably band related when I was gigging. 

Is there anything obvious I ought to be /not doing with this if I just get a fused 13A plug put this on it ?  (Inspection of the cable as usual of course)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    No problem as long as its got the correct protective device...i.e. RCD.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19206
    edited May 13
    If the cable is rated at 13A & 250V then providing it is structurally sound & undamaged, fitting a new 13A plug will be fine, providing the plug is correctly fitted. Not suggesting you can't do this, it's just that I have seen many plugs that were wired up that were decidedly unsafe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28940
    And probably worth putting an RCD-equipped new plug on such as:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rcd-plugs/7508447

Other fine retailers exist.

Double protection is probably a good idea for outdoors.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19206
    ^ Good point. I use a separate plug in RCD with wired garden type kit so automatically that I forgot to mention it  :#  
    That works fine if you're not forgetful. I am, so I'd have the one you can't forget. :D
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2816
    Excellent advice, thanks all, have the RCD already - and it saved me once when the hedge trimmer managed to connect with the cable !?  That worked really well.  I have one in my guitar bag for occasional gigs.
    we have one built into our switchboard so I’m guessing protection from that and at the socket gives me a healthy dose of double protection I think

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3668
    Unroll it before use, a coiled cable heats up and can melt, depending on the power requirements of whats plugged into it.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Absolutely, always do.  Even my old Dyson vacuum with the coiled lead inside says to take it out fully when using but I bet many people domt
    sev112 said:
    Absolutely, always do.  Even my old Dyson vacuum with the coiled lead inside says to take it out fully when using but I bet many people domt
    Ive melted one or two doing building work, sometimes , if it has one , the thermal cut out kicks in, but I did have one that didnt cut the power and melted the cable.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    sev112 said:
    Excellent advice, thanks all, have the RCD already - and it saved me once when the hedge trimmer managed to connect with the cable !?  That worked really well.  I have one in my guitar bag for occasional gigs.
    we have one built into our switchboard so I’m guessing protection from that and at the socket gives me a healthy dose of double protection I think

Having 2 RCD's in the circuit can actually be more of a nuisance.. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2479
    edited May 13
    How old is your house wiring? Anything wired after 2008 is required to have RCDs built in to the consumer unit (ours has 2 in the main consumer unit and an additional RCD in the garage consumer unit). 
    If you've got RCDs on a consumer unit then provided you test them regularly and they're working I'd be happy enough using the extension provided you've wired it correctly.

When I wired our garage I added an outdoor socket on a fused DPDT switch so I can remove it entirely from the circuit if it causes issues (water ingress basically).
    I had it all tested by an electrician and signed off by building control (Part P of building regulations doesn't apply in Northern Ireland and there is no directly equivalent legislation but best to have your work checked).
    Some of the wiring in our previous house was wrongly colour coded (live colour coded as neutral) despite it being relatively new (built in 1998), which is potentially very dangerous (thankfully lighting rather than sockets).
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3730
    A weatherproof outside wall socket is very convenient.  Saves running cables through doors or windows.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7541
    edited May 13
    I fitted a weatherproof outdoor single socket but instead of wiring it permanently into anything inside the cable just passes through one of the holes in a conveniently positioned red clay vent right next to the socket inside a kitchen cabinet where the washing machine plugs into, and I fitted an RCD plug to it.  I just pull the washing machine plug and plug in the RCD plug that connects with the socket on the wall outside when I want outside power.

I also adapted one of those food storage containers with the four flaps on the lid that click closed securely to make a water resistant and almost completely water proof cover for the single socket end of my extension lead and the plug for the lawnmower, jetwash, or whatever I'm using.  I just cut rounded slits down into the sides and glued half a rubber electrical grommet into the cut-out so that when the lid is clicked down it seals the cables really well.  That way I can have the extension cable outside near where I'm using the jetwash or I don't have to worry if it starts drizzling.  You can probably buy purpose made waterproof electrical extension covers but why pay extra when a home made thing does the same job.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    Take the opportunity to get a cordless lawnmower and strimmer.  Less hassle to use
    Or a gardener. Even easier. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10360

Or simply move to the middle of a desert.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Have got battery powered strummer already.

can’t get a gardener for love or money 
    sev112 said:
    Have got battery powered strummer already.

That must make playing guitar so much easier.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It’s quite limiting, it only has one mode
    sev112 said:

I tried both and found they were generally more willing to work for the latter. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom