Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Coda Music - Righteous Service !

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9674
So, as some of you will be aware, I headed down to Coda Music this morning... I left the lovely glades of the Black Country at 6.35 am, and finally got there at 10.15 am !!! You've gotta love the M6 and M1...

Anyway, the purpose was an amp search and to try some lovely planks.

As ever, the service from Doug, Mark and the team was friendly and exceptional. I must've asked to try every amp that wasn't on the shop floor, and they never moaned or called me a daft knob (at least, not in ear shot...). Coffee was provided, as was carrying and lumping services, and the full benefit of Doug's great and honest knowledge.

In an age of average service, Coda excelled and raised the benchmark. Superb...

I walked out with a Magnatone Twilighter and A Bad Cat Black Cat 15R thingy. A memorable day, and I just simply wanted to publicly thanks Doug and the team. See you soon guys...

Oh, and the 'kin Bad Cat lights up in the dark... "just what I've always wanted..."

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22497
    edited November 2014
    Recession?! What recession?! :D

I on the other hand spent £7 and £9 respectively on two different delay plug-ins this weekend. Floatin' with the high rollers, me. 

What's your impression of the Black Cat? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Must congratulate you on a most superb shopping trip! I already knew we shared a love of Bearfoot pedals and now it turns out that our amp choice is similar too as I'm a fellow Twilighter owner ;-) 

How you didn't walk out with that Fano thinline I don't know! I assume you've seen this before:

• dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    To be fair, based on your previous, if I sold amps I too would treat you like a king! Enjoy the new amps, do we get a tone report too?
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1627
    Did you try that used Fano I flagged up, Warren?

• koss59koss59 Frets: 860
    Those Badcats are catching on! You'll need a 30 watt one next, that's what I did :-)
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited November 2014
    Yeah... good guys at Coda. Have been shopping there since they first opened.  Congrats on the new amps... very nice.
  • The Bad Cat was never in the frame...

I tried, in order...

- Carr Rambler -stunning
    - Carr Sportsman - perfect
    - Magnatone Twilighter - stunning 2
    - Redplate RP50 - usual good RP tones
    - Swarts - too focused
    - Two Rock Coral (combo) - very very nice actually

Then, about to go down the Falcon/ Tweedy/ OD route and Doug (bless him, sweating like a good un after carrying all of these amps) produces 
    the Bad Cat Black Cat in ltd edition two tone colour.

I swear, he plugs it in and WALLOP !!! Loved it... very versatile but I've mastered the learning curve in a few mins... just seems natural.

Now, Dr Z is the 'King of The Chime' yes ?? Well, the Bad Cat destroyed it. All the chime, plus all the warmth AND not laser focused Z type sounds...

I haven't even got around to the Maggie yet !!!

Awesome, even at bedroom volume..

Waz

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @johnperry

I didn't try that used one, as I prefer the reliced models... The black GF6 and the RB6 seen below here, were special guitars...

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/FullSizeRender-3.jpg

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    Nice :D
  • Wazmeister... that amberburst GF6 with Lollar Imperials and a tortie guard (on Coda's site) looks nice.  Did you give that one a spin?
    edited November 2014
    They're in a different league to DR. Z, I've had a few of those. The Badcat sounds like what you wished a Matchless sounds like ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Coda is my local GAS emporium .. I've spent a fortune there on Martin's Fender's and Gibson's ... nice place. We should arrange a Coda meet up ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    Might be selling my black cat 15r soon if anyone's interested...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Coda is my local as well, I live in Luton.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    Would love to try a Magnatone amp!
  • I've never had chance to try a Badcat, however have tried some Matchless at World Guitars. Are they really better? If so, could you elaborate please as the Matchless Lightning was the best amp I've ever played through.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1470
    I have to agree with you chap. Coda is quickly becoming the place to go. I picked up a second hand R7 from there a few weeks back and they were spot on.
    As far as Matchless go, I'm really meaning the high powered models like the C-30 and clubman. To me they were just too loud and bright for most gigs and quite untameable. That was in some large venues too. To me the badcat can get the same sort of sound but at all volume levels, they are also a touch smoother to my ears.
  • koss59 said:
    As far as Matchless go, I'm really meaning the high powered models like the C-30 and clubman. To me they were just too loud and bright for most gigs and quite untameable. That was in some large venues too. To me the badcat can get the same sort of sound but at all volume levels, they are also a touch smoother to my ears.
    A perfect summary mate...

In my limited Matchless experience, they will loud as anything and fantastic if you were playing Wembley Arena.... Which, surprisingly, I am not doing that often these days.

The Bad Cat is simply stunning at low volumes, and I'm talking bedroom volume here.

I've yet to unleash it a battle volume...
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1627
    longshins said:
    I've never had chance to try a Badcat, however have tried some Matchless at World Guitars. Are they really better? If so, could you elaborate please as the Matchless Lightning was the best amp I've ever played through.
    My understanding is that the Lightning and the BadCat Cub were basically the same amp (though IIRC the Cub has gone through some changes over the years). The Black Cat 15 is the Cub 15's 12ax7 channel plus an ef86 channel. I've played a Lightning and now own a Black Cat 15 (admittedly a couple of years apart). Nowt to choose between them - both fab amps