Fingerstyle/Thumb Pick/Travis Picking for Beginners

What's Hot
So, Ive gone bought myself a new acoustic and Im looking to improve my acoustic playing to something above the old strumming thing that people do on acoustics. Ive got myself a nice thumb pick which I can drive reasonably well but Ive no idea what I can do with it or where to look for a beginners course/book/youtube etc. 

Thoughts/advice please?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
    edited September 2013
    I play mostly fingerstyle and I would recommend that you try not to use finger picks etc. This is purely my own view and not based on any science stuff but the reason is that you can pick up a guitar anywhere and play it straight away if you only use fingers.

You also won't be reliant on equipment (picks) to create your sound. I would always fear that I would become reliant upon a brand of pick, lose it and there would be my playing expertise compromised.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Have a look at Justin Sandeco's site >here< he is often seen with an acoustic in his hands, is a really nice and very generous bloke, and has a ton of varied lessons - all FREE - on his site.  IMO is is a great place to start.

intermediate fingerstyle modules index if you want a look.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Have a look at Justin Sandeco's site >here< he is often seen with an acoustic in his hands, is a really nice and very generous bloke, and has a ton of varied lessons - all FREE - on his site.  IMO is is a great place to start.

intermediate fingerstyle modules index if you want a look.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    as a completely self taught/no teaching books or owt picker ........ I can offer no 'useful' advice Im afraid other than go hard for the thumb/one finger independence, then thumb/two fingers............ 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertie said:
    as a completely self taught/no teaching books or owt picker ........ I can offer no 'useful' advice Im afraid other than go hard for the thumb/one finger independence, then thumb/two fingers............ 
    A big +1 and have a wisdom but don't let it corrupt ye
    ah one of those invisible wisdoms 

;)

:D
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Does anyone else just use fingers rather than nails?  
    I'm never going to grow my right hand nails long again for various reasons including that I actually prefered the sound when I played with flesh. Bit calloused now mind!
  • Wolftone said:
    I play mostly fingerstyle and I would recommend that you try not to use finger picks etc. This is purely my own view and not based on any science stuff but the reason is that you can pick up a guitar anywhere and play it straight away if you only use fingers.

You also won't be reliant on equipment (picks) to create your sound. I would always fear that I would become reliant upon a brand of pick, lose it and there would be my playing expertise compromised.
    Another reason is they may be a hazard to your picking hands muscles and tendons.  I read an interview with Leo Kottke in GP several years ago(if you don't know him, he was one the best fingerstyle players around in the 70's)  He used picks on all his fingers and did some amazing playing but with a hectic touring schedule his right hand froze one day.  He had to stop playing for about two years and undergo several medical procedures.  His Doctor told him the extra distance/leveredge involved in plucking a string with a pick on your finger is far too demanding than just using bare fingers.  Now, not everyone plays as much as he did in those days but still, it scared me enough to stay away from them.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Wolftone said:

Counterpoint: (musical pun semi-intended...)

I reckon it's good to be able to play fairly comfortably with various combinations of thumbpick, no pick, nails and no nails - and also hybrid picking. Not only for the sake of versatility, but also to have variety in the sounds and keep the interest levels up. Not to say you shouldn't have a favourite, obviously.

With regard to learning materials - there are loads of good books out there, but I'd also recommend learning some actual songs to showcase the techniques. "Blues Run the Game" is a great one (various recorded versions out there - the original by Jackson C. Frank, and covers by Bert Jansch and Simon & Garfunkel. Tabs dead easy to find.)

If you fancy dabbling in alternate tunings, "4 + 20" by Stephen Stills is another fairly simple one that sounds awesome. I'm fairly sure it's in DADDAD - there are videos on youtube in all sorts of wild and wacky tunings but DADDAD sounds the closest to the recording as far as I can make out.     

• www.guitarnick.com

• bertie said:
    ah one of those invisible wisdoms 

;)

:D
    I gave you one! (not in the biblical sense of course!)  :))
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    Deijavoo said:
    Does anyone else just use fingers rather than nails?  
    I'm never going to grow my right hand nails long again for various reasons including that I actually prefered the sound when I played with flesh. Bit calloused now mind!
    Yup, I use fingers. I HATE the sound and feel of nails clacking on the piano keys so I keep them short
  • axisus;82350" said:
    Deijavoo said:

Does anyone else just use fingers rather than nails?  I'm never going to grow my right hand nails long again for various reasons including that I actually prefered the sound when I played with flesh. Bit calloused now mind!

Yup, I use fingers. I HATE the sound and feel of nails clacking on the piano keys so I keep them short
    Likewise. I simply cannot stand using my nails. The bonus is that you don't have to swear and scream if you break a nail.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    Jetfire said:
    So, Ive gone bought myself a new acoustic and Im looking to improve my acoustic playing to something above the old strumming thing that people do on acoustics. Ive got myself a nice thumb pick which I can drive reasonably well but Ive no idea what I can do with it or where to look for a beginners course/book/youtube etc. 

Thoughts/advice please?

Look at the Country material on Truefire 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Look up Samuel. I'll see if I can dig it out. Wonderful tune, and relatively easy, took me a couple of weeks having never used dadgad or Travis style before.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited December 2013
    Here ya go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEa8PkjO6_I

He gives away the tabs.  It's a really nice tune, I like it a lot.
    edited December 2013
    Here ya go

He gives away the tabs.  It's a really nice tune, I like it a lot.
    excellent, that' nice and simple, constant thumb -  great for getting the old 'independance'  going  and the open tunings help to get a nice full feel without complicated fingering (oo er mrs)
  • Yeah, I really enjoy it as a tune in its own right, too. Lovely melody, nice pace, and just nice and easy to listen to.

Enjoy!