Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

recommend a nice parlour style acoustic

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
edited September 2013 in Acoustics

long story short. i bought my first house beginning of the year and after 8 months of renovation ive decided to treat myself with a moving in present. the house is tiny so i thought a nice little parlour style acoustic would be a good addition to the household!

acoustics are something i know VERY little about so throw some ideas at me people?

ideally id love a martin but think price wise might be an issue! i have a four year old boy who could disassemble a ford fiesta to its component parts in less than an hour so something rugged would be great. i really like the look of the darker wood models but is this something i need to think about in terms of tone or is it more of a looks thing?

budget wise probably between 500 and 700. i see faith seem to be quite popular but im not sure i particularly like them. i need to get sat down in front of a few and try some bits out but theres not many DECENT guitar shops immediately local to me.

How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Epiphone EL-00 is a cracking little guitar for well under your budget.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited September 2013
    (pssst,  try the acoustic section  :)   )

to pick up on the Faith comment - what is it that makes you 'not particularly like them'  - it may help define alternative suggestions ?   ie dont like the neck,  would rather have a 14 fret join,  headstock is awful (id agree there, even tho I own one)  
    :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • There's an odd-looking Peavey that got a decent writeup recently. I checked it out but bought the Gretsch Jim Dandy instead because the neck width and profile were more suitable. Both are well under your budget and if your 4yo trashed it would be less of a loss.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

I had a blast on this Sigma recently and thought it was most excellent, so long as you like the 1930's vibe (I do).

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/sigma-000m-15s/73158?gclid=CLuc5JjA5rkCFQTHtAodjCgAcA

• bertie said:

what an idiot! sorry guys! if someone who know what theyre doing wants to shift this over thatd be great. sorry!
    How very rock and roll
    you can do it yourself -  just edit your original post.............and chose from the drop down.........Robert is your proverbial :)
  • bertie said:
    you can do it yourself -  just edit your original post.............and chose from the drop down.........Robert is your proverbial :)

thanks, sorted
    How very rock and roll
  • bertie said:

to pick up on the Faith comment - what is it that makes you 'not particularly like them'  - it may help define alternative suggestions ?   ie dont like the neck,  would rather have a 14 fret join,  headstock is awful (id agree there, even tho I own one)  
    :)

re. faith. i really dont know what it is. ive just never seen one thats made me go wow! shallow perhaps.....
    How very rock and roll
    edited September 2013
    as I said,  I do own a parlor, spankingly loud and resonant for its size.....and even better if you can get one used at a great ££ (as I did) .....I played their  small jumbo (neptune ?)  the hi-gloss version and was completely blown away by its immediate playability and tone for the ££ (£600 ish)  its not that big either,......... OM ish more than anything

Worth checking out the thread on the recording kings,  great guitars - but I just cant get on with V shaped necks.
  • If electro's not an issue then I know someone who could be talked into moving on one of these at a more-than-reasonable price...

http://www.lagguitars.com.au/2010/products/4_seasons/L4S200PE.html

• Vintage Paul Brett parlour is great
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I've just bought a Washburn r314k for about £300. V-shaped neck but everything else is as you'd expect. Sounds a lot more resonant than what I was expecting for such a small body, and the workmanship seems fine for the money too. I think KT Tunstall plays one.
    Use Your Brian
  • Not really a parlour as such, but if you're close to mid devon I have a Taylor gs mini ltd edition in maple in as new condition  that could be yours for £320 if you want to have a try, mike b
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Guild GAD F-40 is a very good small bodied guitar especially if you can find a second hand one  ;)
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Heard a lot of good things about The Loar range of little acoustics.

Look the part and are cheap too. That's where I'd look first.
    Heard a lot of good things about The Loar range of little acoustics.

impressed with the reviews in Guitar Worlds buyers guide...................   ;)
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257

Used to have one of these Blueridge Parlors. Honestly was superb. I have a few high end Martins and this was very close to that quality. It seems very near in spec to the Martin Parlors and there is no real corners cut on the materials. You need to be sure you like the wide nut and V neck, but if you do, very hard to beat:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blueridge-BR341-Parlour-Guitar-w-Fishman-Undersaddle-Pickup-Hard-Case-Pro-Setup-/261301832003?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cd6cd8943#ht_685wt_1238  

• i really like the look of the washburn and the blueridge mentioned above. thanks will check them both out if poss
    How very rock and roll
  • jimmyrjimmyr Frets: 12
    edited November 2013
    The Epiphone EL-00 is a cracking little guitar for well under your budget.
    I am with this post, and i feel it is very underestimated because of its low price, i mostly use this guitar in open Tuning for Blues, it sounds awesome, sounds very early Gibson.
    Get two for your Budget, one tuned for standard and one in open G.
  • Heard a lot of good things about The Loar range of little acoustics.

I've got an LH-200, similar to the Epiphone EL-00 but it has a bone nut and saddle which is what you read that Epi owners say they had to do to bring their guitars up to scratch. The Loar is much better looking imho as well. Maybe I got lucky but mine is an absolute peach. The LH-200 is your classic 1930s Delta bluesman's style guitar, the LH-215 is a parlour model. You don't need to spend £700 to get a great living room picker.