SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Potential ebay bargain - yamaha Ty Tabor drop6

What's Hot
I have no connection to this auction, but have been watching the starting price drop over the last few weeks (no bids at £250 last time out). I'd love to bid on it but really can't justify it as I need to reduce not increase my collection. So I'm flagging up in case anybody is looking for a solid drop tuning option (not to everyone's tastes I'm sure!). For some reason it doesn't seem right for it to go for £150!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281173716549

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Would it be justifiable to buy a guitar just for the odd occasion that I felt like blasting through Dogman ?
    Surely not ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I think it is well worth it just for them immense riffs in that song. Love it!
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    DrBob said:
    Would it be justifiable to buy a guitar just for the odd occasion that I felt like blasting through Dogman ?
    Surely not ?
    That's exactly the type of dilemma I was having - I know I'd hardly ever play it if I owned it. If it was the standard scale version I would definitely be finding it hard to hold back.
    horse;43453" said:
    DrBob said:

Surely not ?

That's exactly the type of dilemma I was having - I know I'd hardly ever play it if I owned it. If it was the standard scale version I would definitely be finding it hard to hold back.
    Whereas for me it's the fact that it is a longer scale that makes it sooo tempting. I'm already awash with standard scale guitars but I haven't got one of those !

DrBob said:
    Whereas for me it's the fact that it is a longer scale that makes it sooo tempting. I'm already awash with standard scale guitars but I haven't got one of those !
    I already have 1 longer scale guitar that doesn't get played enough! If it were standard scale it would get more chance of getting played by me. I think you should go for it!
    "I walked through the door, took a seat. Listening to words that seemed to bounce right off my chest" Man I'm so tempted to have a punt just to play those gut wrenching bends in this song on it !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    That's crazy cheap. 

Someone has bid now. 
  • That has me tempted, lovely looking guitar.

I am looking for a guitar to try out tuning in fifths, or even augmented fifths, and I recon that would do the job nicely.

Having said that I have never bought anything on evilBay, just stayed well clear.
    So I don't really know the first thing about doing a trade, either way.

Tempting though  :)

That's crazy cheap. 

Someone has bid now. 
    Yeah - that bid was already in. Because I was tempted but held back I want it to go for more than £149 for some reason. Not quite sure why I feel like that, but I think it's because I'd rather the crazy bargains to be the ones I bid on rather than the ones I hold back on! If that £149 bid is someone on here I'd be pleased for them though!

@ChrisMusic I think the listing looks pretty genuine. They initially listed it as collection only, and have gradually lowered the starting price / included a delivery option as they struggled to sell. The only question marks for me were what they mean about the switch (sounds like coil split), and the fact they have it tuned to standard E at the moment which seems a strange thing to do on a longer scale guitar.
  • horse said:   ...I was tempted but held back I want it to go for more than £149 for some reason. Not quite sure why I feel like that...
    Decent response me thinks.  I recon we would all be personally gutted if our guitar was on there and went for the proverbial song.
    There is a sense of fairness in most people.

It would be nice to bring it into the fold on here, then we all know it will probably get passed around sooner or later.

So tell me how easy it is to do the eBay thing - total noob here BTW.

I can resist anything but temptation (maybe)  
    :)

horse said:   ...I was tempted but held back I want it to go for more than £149 for some reason. Not quite sure why I feel like that...
    Decent response me thinks.  I recon we would all be personally gutted if our guitar was on there and went for the proverbial song.
    There is a sense of fairness in most people.

It would be nice to bring it into the fold on here, then we all know it will probably get passed around sooner or later.

So tell me how easy it is to do the eBay thing - total noob here BTW.

I can resist anything but temptation (maybe)  
    I've bought a fair few guitars off ebay with only 1 issue over the last few years. The 1 issue was partly my fault for being complacent - the photos didn't happen to show the significant dings and the description didn't mention them either other than classing the guitar as 'used'. The seller refunded me although I took a hit on the delivery charges - I really should have asked for clarification on the condition before bidding. In this case they state the condition as 'excellent' other than the issue with the switch, so I think ebay would back you if there were obvious issues not consistent with 'excellent' condition - might be worth dropping the seller a message to clarify if you're nervous about that. This guitar includes a hard case, so should arrive in good condition as well - if it doesn't then my understanding is that the seller is responsible.

The pups alone have a fair value, plus hardcase...
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2013
    Hey horse, thanks for that.

edited September 2013
    I've pointed my Ty Tabor/Kings X obsessive friend Mark at this. I think he's going to take a punt.
    not that this should preclude anyone else from bidding of course but he was emailing me at 2:30 this morning about ebay strategies as he was too wound up about it to sleep !
  • Well then someone has a very nice new guitar for £313 and still pretty cheap for the quality.  Yamaha make great guitars.

Not mine, but hey ho, hopefully it will appear on here some day, maybe DrBob's mate bought it?

Thanks for the heads up on this horse

Funny old world - no bids at £250 last week, but went for more today...
  • That's the power of the auction to drive prices up, but it doesn't always work.
    Some stuff goes for peanuts and you have to feel for whoever has to pack and send their precious guitar, etc.
    That Yamaha was worth more, and he didn't get that much after fees either.
    If it had been on here or Gumtree, it was local enough, I would have been more than happy to pay what he got for it.
    Sometimes it's time to move on though.

ChrisMusic;44331" said:
    Well then someone has a very nice new guitar for £313 and still pretty cheap for the quality.  Yamaha make great guitars.

Not mine, but hey ho, hopefully it will appear on here some day, maybe DrBob's mate bought it?

Thanks for the heads up on this horse :)
    Yeah, it's safe to say that I know someone who's going to sleep tonight grinning like an idiot... ;-)

• DrBob said:
    ChrisMusic said:
    Well then someone has a very nice new guitar for £313 and still pretty cheap for the quality.  Yamaha make great guitars. Not mine, but hey ho, hopefully it will appear on here some day, maybe DrBob's mate bought it?
    Thanks for the heads up on this horse :)
    Yeah, it's safe to say that I know someone who's going to sleep tonight grinning like an idiot... ;-)
    Great news, so one day we may see it again, sounds unlikely though.
    Glad it's gone to a good and appreciative new home