Anyone know anything about hybrid bikes, particularly the Greek 'Ideal' brand?

What's Hot
So we've just got back from a great cycling holiday in the New Forest, and we're thinking of getting our own bikes. Our local bike shops mostly have Giant and Trek bikes, but in one shop the chap recommended this bike

which he had on special. It was certainly comfortable to ride, and seemed to have high quality components. But I'm clueless about this stuff, not having owned a bike since I had a Peugeot racer as a teenager.

Any tips or thoughts on this brand? Looking to spend 400-500 quid.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Don't look that great to me. I d recommend having a look at the boardman range or islabikes for value for money. Islabikes mainly do kids bikes but their adult range is very well regarded. As with guitars it's best to try before you buy.
  • Greek? I'd check the saddle.

• Thanks birdo. Boardman bikes have a great rep, but I wonder if their disc-braked hybrids are out of my price range a bit. Will check out Islabikes.

Chillidoggy - the saddle was very comfortable :)
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Just had a bit of a look around. Chainreaction cycles have got some good deals on at the moment on their own brand vitus bikes. Also they have a kona dr good which wouldn't be a bad shout. Do you want it more for road, footpath or off road?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Check out Evans own brand Pinnacle bikes too. Good quality with decent components & usually a fair bit cheaper than the big name brands.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2013
    Mmm...not sure the Greeks are known for their ergonomic designs and logical thinking

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited September 2013
    mellowsun said:
    SLooking to spend 400-500 quid.
    remember 6 months ago ?    I was there.......................

Evans own brand "Pinacle"  -  2012 models are uber fantastic value.   I have a 2012 Cobalt,  £100+ cheaper than this years model (and for me better spec) yes it has front suspension and although warned about the "extra weight" and how it would seriously affect me -  its nowt, if you're used to old fashioned steel framed juggernauts of yesteryear  

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Thanks bertie, will check out the Pinnacle. Lots of Evans shops in London, so no problem hopefully with after-sales service.

I'm still tempted by the Ideal Optimus wildcard though, as it was such a comfortable test ride and handled well. The hydraulic disc brakes seemed very impressive too, subjectively more controllable than the 'on or off' mechanical disc brakes on the hire bikes. Of course, it could fall to bits after a few months.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Front suspension is best avoided. Eats way too much energy for on road. Specialized Sirrus range are very good.
  • Evilmags said:
    Front suspension is best avoided. Eats way too much energy for on road. Specialized Sirrus range are very good.
    Thanks - what about lockable front suspension forks?

I'm not an urban rider btw - most of the riding will be on small country roads and tracks. I live on the edge of the Hertfordshire green belt and won't ever be riding in central London!