The Last Of Us

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'm confused, in Strangeways it only takes one spoon to make one shiv, that or some air dried soap.

With four pairs of scissors and a bit of tape you could make a passable throwing star...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27988
    Exactly.

I can't work out how you'd make one shiv from four pairs of scissors using only hand tools. Where do all the other bits of the scissors go? Why throw away three and a half pairs of scissors? And if you can carry 16 pairs of scissors in your bag, why can you only carry three shivs?

Does this really not bother anyone else?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Sporky said:
    I file it under willing suspension of disbelief. You're right it is clunky. It gets worse - later when you get a book that tells you how to sharpen Shivs on a rock near water to make them more durable you never actually have to go to a rock near water - merely having read this imparts the mod to all future shivs :D 

I used to get similarly pissed-off at all shooting games allowing you to run a normal speed with a tankbuster over one shoulder, and aim said heavy weapon as quick as you can aim a pistol. 

Far Cry 3 - the whole tower beacon = map and stuff in shops thing was also very odd, but you know, life is too short and there are killer Cassowaries to skin... 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I don't think video games are for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17574
    tFB Trader
    A agree with Sporky about the idea that just because something has a fantastic setting it doesn't get a free ride on not making internal logical sense. 

My example is when complaining about the stupid scene with an electric fence in Jurassic Park someone said "You complain about the electric fence, but ignore the dinosaurs!"

For me you suspend disbelief only in line with the premise of the film so just because a film has dinosaurs it doesn't make it any better that electricity behaves in a totally nonsensical way. 
    TimmyO said:
    Sporky said:
    Far Cry 3 - the whole tower beacon = map and stuff in shops thing was also very odd, but you know, life is too short and there are killer Cassowaries to skin... 
    Hmm. That was indeed a bit odd, but it didn't feel broken like the LOU shiv thing. Normally I'm pretty good at suspending my disbelief - I just finished Resonance Of Fate and the ludicrous acrobatics and living-on-a-clock thing were fine. But four pairs of scissors to make one shiv? HOW?
    A agree with Sporky about the idea that just because something has a fantastic setting it doesn't get a free ride on not making internal logical sense.
    Exactly!

The "big lie" - that there's been a zombie apocalypse - is ok, because that's the premise. The "little lie", that it takes four pairs of sturdy scissors to make a single fragile shiv, isn't, because it's so contrived.

Similarly Star Trek. I'm not much of a Trekkie, but the faster-than-light-travel didn't bother me. The bullhonky about tachyons did. It was OK until they tried to explain it.

Making it bottles instead of shivs would have fixed it. Glass is a bit fragile. Bottles are bulky. Thus you can only carry a few, and they only work once each, and thye could restrict availability of bottles without there being anything weird about it.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    Sporky said:

The "big lie" - that there's been a zombie apocalypse - is ok, because that's the premise. The "little lie", that it takes four pairs of sturdy scissors to make a single fragile shiv, isn't, because it's so contrived.

Who'd be using a shiv against a zombie? Totally wrong choice, way too close up.

I actually *Want* to play it now.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I don't get the appeal of the infection genre as a whole: so... it has a gestation period of a few seconds but has a complex symbiosis with it's leaving the host requiring fewer vital organs and having no free-will, it seeks out other humans and has destroyed civilisation.

It's "our worst nightmare" but also a horror story for any paracitic life forms - imagine the stories they'd say gathered around the camp fires in some creatures digestive gut... and the parasite created all sorts of symptoms that made them easily recogniseable to other members of the host species!!! the parasite was so agressive the other members of the host species killed the infected!!!

I actually suspect it of being some kind of cultural back-pedal like creationism. The human body is made of stuff working together in a repeatable way. It'll evolve in part by taking on more bacteria and "domesticating" it.

As such I don't expect any of these games to deliver great things :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17574
    tFB Trader
    I've only just started on FC3, but that does seem weird. 
    The Weapon vending machine thing seems like an obvious late in the day fix when people complained that you had to travel too far to buy ammo or change your loadout.
    daveyh said:

Who'd be using a shiv against a zombie? Totally wrong choice, way too close up.

The guns are even less use!