Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How 'well rounded' are you

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    As well as guitar, I play bass occasionally live.

Voracious reader (pretty much anything,except self-serving & money-spinning autobiographies)

I love film, cinema, theatre

Aspire to being an adequate guitar fettler.

I do like a bit of gardening if I can get my lazy arse in gear

Professionally I'm an ex:code wrangler, project mr fixit, and (the shame) QA
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:

this is kinda related to larping, I've always fancied having a go at historical re-enactment, never found the time though. It looks like a good excuse to go away for a weekend, dress up like a pillock and drink loads of beer in convivial company.

As you can imagine the two worlds overlap a little bit. Generally the larpers think of the re-enactors as beardy, joyless old men and the re-enactors think of larpers as kiddies playing with lame plastic weapons and unrealistic rules.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

like many I'm into cooking and nice wine.  I've done a few cooking classes out in India and Thailand with the missus, and we're always trying to recreate what we learnt there, with varying success.

Also had a garden for the last three years, and that has been a lot of fun, and ties into the cooking thing too.

Been trying to learn German on and off for about 6 years - rather like the guitar I'm not very good at it, but to my credit I do keep going.

Still play indoor footy with my mates every week, and go away to a tournament together once a year.

Quite a big traveller and spent 2.5 years of the last 10 backpacking around various places.

Would love read more, or get into woodworking, or chess, or playing a different instrument, or learn to write Java code, or countless other things - but there just isnt enough time alongside the guitar.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    VimFuego said:

this is kinda related to larping, I've always fancied having a go at historical re-enactment, never found the time though. It looks like a good excuse to go away for a weekend, dress up like a pillock and drink loads of beer in convivial company.

As you can imagine the two worlds overlap a little bit. Generally the larpers think of the re-enactors as beardy, joyless old men and the re-enactors think of larpers as kiddies playing with lame plastic weapons and unrealistic rules.

not met any larpers, but know a handful of re-enactors (they tend to mix in self sufficiency, bushcrafty circles) and the ones I've met are all a good laugh, however when you read the rules for some organisations (written by the hardcore enactors) or hear some of the stories you realise they are clinically insane.  

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Yachting
    Playing bridge
    Close-up magic (coins and cards)
    Sherry
    Rachmaninov
    Family
    Management consultancy (well it's my job but I love it)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Reading, running, cycling, skiing and wine.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've got kids - I can fairly push for enough free time to go to Karate twice a week, do some stretches, practice guitar, kata and have a few runs a week.

I don't read because if I've got time to read I can sleep, I don't get enough time for sleep.

I come from a family of intellectual effetes as a reaction, I don't rate well-roundedness - I prefer the old Russian saying - a man who chases two rabbits catches neither. Find what you love the most and commit to that.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    as they say, in no particular order

Sport (just watching these days) primarily rugby 
    Cooking
    Photography
    me dog(s)
    DIY  (enforced !!)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • frankus said:

Find what you love the most and commit to that.

Good advise but the thing I love the most is starting new hobbies and leaving the associated paraphernalia around my flat. I don't want to catch a rabbit - I just like chasing them.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    After a possibly past-it's best cumberland sausage I feel near spherical this morning... bleh.

Ok, so other than guitar (which I don't get enough practice at so I'm only partially sure I can count that as a primary interest).

Life drawing - in chalks, charcoal, and pastels.
    Dressmaking - not done much in a long while, occasional adjustment of hems and the like... but have made my own clothes to pleasantly satisfactory quality before.
    Jewellery design and making - was my job, but will be a hobby when I can afford it.
    Procrastinating
    Lockpicking - just started this... really fun the first time your practice locks pop.
    hAcKiNg - ;) just started to learn data security stuff which will be a job I hope, but for now its a hobby
    Kung Fu fighting - done Wing Chun, Karate, Tai Kwon Do, Thai Boxing, Boxing, Brazilian Jui Jitsu, Wrestling... want to do more would love to learn Krav Maga (though the BJJ instructor was also a police KM instructor and he was not a fan of KM), Aikido, Ninjitsu and Judo  
    Once upon a time I did tabletop wargaming... still like the associated books, art and some select miniatures... but who has time for learning a squilion rules and setting up and putting away... 
    Boardgames - really got into a selection of boardgames (Munchkin is my fave at the moment)
    Computer-stuffs. Over the years I've built computers, programmed, written web pages, fiddled with home networks and with my latest PC spent more than 2 hours doing what I refer to as "extreme cable management" making it look just so.
    Film hoarding. Lost track of how many films I've got somewhere around the 800 mark - probably why netflix continues to lose interest - its like trading stickers at school "got, got, got, need, got, got..." ;)

I also want to learn some languages, but never seem to have any time left. Perhaps I should take up time management as a hobby? ;)

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited September 2013

other than guitaring

tinkering on van, mending stuff, learning to roll the perfect bifta. But to behonest with a new band under production atm, another one on the horizon, and a strong urge to write/record my own material I'm all about the guitar these days.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Magic.

I've been performing semi-pro for 6 years now and I still love it. I hunt out rare magic texts, often just to read rather than study.

I take more bookings for kids parties than for adults. Adult stuff pays much better, but the kids stuff is much more fun. And as I have a week day job, at the weekends I'm mainly looking for fun.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I have the same hobbies I has when I was 17.
    Guitars,
    Cars,
    Bicycles,

Unfortunately I seem to only be interested In one of them at a time and they rotate regularly. Hence that's why my guitar playing is at best average.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited September 2013
    jd0272 said:

WTF happened to me photo? Jesus.
    blame him if you like, but Im pretty certain he had nothing to do with it..................

just remember to copy the external resource "direct" link only, then insert it here using the insert image ( little pic ICON)

:)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Well, putting aside electric, acoustic, bass guitars, keyboards, drums and chapman stick ...... I enjoy fixing stuff - recently 2 Xboxes, an iPhone, microwave light, my dead laptop. Can't wait to get my hands on stuff that ain't working! I have no proper knowledge, I just like to tinker.

Running, gym and swimming 5 days a week, mountainbiking in fair weather. Hoping to get into triathlons at the grand old age of 50!

My newest thing - building guitars!

I enjoy computer graphics and photoshoppery - but I do them with the day job!

Faffing around on t'interweb - waste too much time there!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    axisus said:

Faffing around on t'interweb - waste too much time there!
    I'd say that was a given for all of us ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    @fretmeister can we see any of your magic on the ilfracombe?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • my middle is so well-rounded that my biking levvers and several pairs of jeans no longer fit.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I have given this some thought but decided that crying whilst masturbating in the toilet cubicles at work probably doesn't count as a hobby ( I also feel dehydrated a lot as well).

So, no, not well rounded at all.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I just cleared an awful lot of snot out of my nose... enough to feel light headed - but not that sort of light headed.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?