siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
edited October 2013 in Off Topic
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-24364332

Also illustrates the wisdom of carrying spare underwear
“He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    thing is, other than the barriers being down, the flashing lights, the waiting traffic and the fuck off huge train hurtling towards her at 100 mph, there was absolutely no warning that she was putting herself in danger.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I like that she wanders away and does not proceed to cross after the barriers go up. Probably looking for a toilet to empty her strides.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My V key is broken
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ESBlonde said:
    I like that she wanders away and does not proceed to cross after the barriers go up. Probably looking for a toilet to empty her strides.

I hope she wasn't wearing a thong....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Ah ok thanks - I've updated the original post ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I'm not sure what the train driver applying the emergency brake would have achieved... there wasn't the slightest chance of stopping in time if she'd gone another foot forward.

It really beats me what possesses people to dodge the barriers. I still think they should show that test Top Gear did a few years back when they parked a car on a level crossing and crashed a train into it as a public information film. Spoiler... the train wins.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SpiderSpider Frets: 130
    She can be seen mopping her brow LOL, then moves to one side to wipe her arse probably.

What will she be like driving a car? :-O
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    ICBM said:
    I'm not sure what the train driver applying the emergency brake would have achieved... there wasn't the slightest chance of stopping in time if she'd gone another foot forward.

Standard procedure if someone encroaches onto a crossing is to apply the emergency brakes and sound the horn. 

There have been a few cases where the extra fraction of a second delay in the arrival of the train as it starts to slow has given the person the chance to get out of the way.  I agree it would have made no difference in this case had she not looked up.  However if she looked up because she heard the horn then she has the train driver to thank for still being alive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    She does pull a pretty sweet stoppie.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    siremoon said:
    Standard procedure if someone encroaches onto a crossing is to apply the emergency brakes and sound the horn. 

There have been a few cases where the extra fraction of a second delay in the arrival of the train as it starts to slow has given the person the chance to get out of the way.  I agree it would have made no difference in this case had she not looked up.  However if she looked up because she heard the horn then she has the train driver to thank for still being alive.
    For sure, I just wasn't sure why the news report bothered mentioning the brakes and not the horn. When she passed the barrier the train was so close I doubt the brakes made even a tenth of a second difference to when it got there or slowed it by more than a couple of miles an hour, even if the driver braked instantly.

I think some people must really believe the train can stop if something goes wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'll always love this one

"Coooeeee" is the best they can manage?
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom