Anyone else scammed by J Collingridge, photographer AKA Lexerr emerger jridge scalded_ape

What's Hot

Comments

• simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited February 2015
    I purchased an mxr carbon copy from him - emerger - just before Xmas and it never arrived, annoyingly sent payment by PPG so assume I don't have a leg to stand on? I know £65 ain't the worst hit anyone's taken, (I got stung for £700 when Sound Control went into administration) but it's the principal of it all isn't it?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Did anyone pay through Paypal on a Credit Card? I'm not 100% sure whether PP being an intermediary affects your ability to claim back from the card company, but must be worth a try right??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    JookyChap said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Ché;526210" said:
    Can we disuade people from posting in the classifieds without a couple of frets to their account?

It seems if some-one signs up to this forum and immediately begins posting classified ads it could be a course for a concern. I completely believe it's the minority spoling it for the majority but places like Basschat actually make you pay to post ads so it's not totally out of order to do so. Not something I'm suggesting as it deters regulars as well as potential fraudsters but this sort of thing really grinds my gears and I'd like to do something more to prevent it.
    I still say it's easier to only buy or sell to someone with a decent post history. I will not buy anything from a newb with only 10 posts which are all in the classifieds.
    whilst I agree in principle I have had successful deals for a few hundred quid with some people with real low fret ratings.
    I guess its like all walks of life. Most people are honest and reasonable and some are bastards.
    Agreed, I've made a lot of friends (of a sort ;) ) on here by blind faith alone. If we're talking %ges with problems it is seriously miniscule, just a shame this chap seems to account for most of them in recent times
    Its actually heartening in a kind of way that a significant proportion of bad deals seems to be able to be traced back to a single dickhead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Doing a little reading up on Chargeback processes. Paypal has been known to reverse PPG transactions. Has anyone spoken to them to look at options? Try your card companies too - everyone will have a different agreement with their issuer, but try every avenue!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I purchased an mxr carbon copy from him - emerger - just before Xmas and it never arrived, annoyingly sent payment by PPG so assume I don't have a leg to stand on? I know £65 ain't the worst hit anyone's taken, (I got stung for £700 when Sound Control went into administration) but it's the principal of it all isn't it?

Shit, so that was him as well. I remember seeing your posts about that (I was watching his thread as I was thinking of selling my carbon copy so wanted see what they were going for).
  • Some of his prices did seem a bit too good to be true, glad I held off but hope you guys get some resolution!

View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • It was the price that drew me in and the fact I'd just sold my timeline and wanted a carbon copy anyway, too good to be true obviously
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    So as a noob to this place, this thread is a bit of an eye opener and I guess it's a bit naive to think that an on line forum of enthusiastic and (sometimes) like minded folks there won't be the odd bad un. Where money changes hands there will always be dishonest fockers ripping others off. For the record, I don't have anything to sell, might buy a pedal or 2 if the right ones come up, I lust after a decent LP or PRS but don't have £1000+ to buy it with. I don't have any frets, wisdoms or LOLs so on the face of it, I am a bit dodgy.....but please don't judge every book by the cover. There are some honest people out there too. Can I make a suggestion though for the moderators to create a new sticky thread on advice- things like paypal gift and other stuff. I sure don't recognise all this stuff and i am sure if all the collective knowledge was pooled to try and recognise scams, it might help a few folks?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I hope all you guys get your money back. I was tempted by the keeley ds1 as well. I've had some stonking deals through this site and I don't want to start thinking "hmm too good to be true". I mean within reason.
    I will only go forward with a purchase if I'm confident the guy has a fair few frets. Once again I hope this fucker gets caught.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • You do put faith in your fellow human when dealing on here, the majority of people are fantastic to deal with, it really is a shame that a select few spoil for the rest!

View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • Let's not let this incident tarnish everyone.Before I buy I always check to see how long they have been a member and exercise reasonable caution as with everything in life.
    As a relatively new member it is refreshing to see the comradeship between Fretboarders,it is important to not lose this.

• photekphotek Frets: 1462
    edited February 2015

Probably not a bad place to remind new users that we have a good traders thread in the misc forum of the classifieds here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/247/good-traders-version-4/p1

I rarely deal with people unless they have at least one entry on the first page total.

Sorry to hear that a lot of you have been done over. Best of luck getting it resolved.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    edited February 2015
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Just had this back from Paypal:

Thank you for contacting PayPal .

Unfortunately, PayPal Purchase Protection does not cover this claim.

PayPal Purchase Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods that can be shipped. We are unable to grant you a refund because your payment was for one of the following items:

• Intangible items, including Digital Goods
    • Services
    • Real estate, including residential property
    • Businesses
    • Vehicles, including motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats
    • Deposits made for vehicles or other items
    • Custom made items
    • Travel tickets, including airline flight tickets
    • Items prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy
    • Items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf
    • Items that violate eBay’s Prohibited or Restricted Items Policy
    • Industrial machinery used in manufacturing
    • Items equivalent to cash, including prepaid or gift cards
    • PayPal Direct Payments
    • Virtual Terminal Payments
    • Personal Payments
    • Splitting a payment into multiple payments to pay for one item

You may also try to recover your funds outside of PayPal using other methods.

For example, you may want to consider filing a report with your local police department or filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).

IC3 is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Bureau of Justice Assistance and the National White Collar Crime Center. They review and evaluate complaints and refer the information to the appropriate local, state, or federal agency.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Yours sincerely,
    Dina Sabrina
    PayPal 

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    "You may also try to recover your funds outside of PayPal using other methods." - See my post above :O
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    I'm off to write a song called Dina Sabrina

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    I was hoping that Paypal might at least suspend his account whilst this is all dealt with!
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited February 2015
    I think this serves as a warning to people that at a minimum buyers should not use PPG unless you really know the seller. It's worth stumping up that little bit extra to cover the sellers fees because then both parties are protected.

I think @Chalky's  idea of not being able to sell items until you have bought at least a couple, so that your address is proven (at least at some level) would be a good safeguard. It wouldn't  be a 'chicken-egg' situation because of the many proven safe sellers.

I did wonder if some sort of escrow system supported by the forum for new sellers might be worth trying.. but it would probably cause more problems than it solves.

It's good to see everyone pulling together to nail this twat,
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi all, I did indeed pay and never receive the pedal in question.

Unfortunately for me I was a new member at the time and had just had some incredibly easy dealings with a couple of members and I was lured into buying a pedal from scalded_ape. Initially he was very helpful but then ceased all communication.

I got as far as tracking him down as a photographer and tried to contact him direct through his website.

Unfortunately no reply received and I'm still £60 down.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    equalsql said:
    I think this serves as a warning to people that at a minimum buyers should not use PPG unless you really know the seller. It's worth stumping up that little bit extra to cover the sellers fees because then both parties are protected.

^^^
    Absolutely this.

iain_psb said:
    Unfortunately no reply received and I'm still £60 down.
    Sorry to hear that you were scammed too.

Make a police report (details above) and add to the noise for Jonathan Collingridge of Chesham.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.