Anyone else scammed by J Collingridge, photographer AKA Lexerr emerger jridge scalded_ape

What's Hot

Comments

• To those pissing in the well, karma will find you....she always does, always. This is a long game, and memories rarely fade. 

On the upside, some pretty together behaviour from some notable contributors in this thread. It's very encouraging. Well done to those who've stood their ground. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yes, sorry to hear that @iain_psb. Definitely do the police & money claim things. It is a pain to fill in the forms, but a lot worse for him when they reach him

• I agree that one should avoid PayPal Gift unless you are 100% sure of the credibility of the person.

Even that isn't 100% safe, though...We had a thread a while back about a one-time forum regular who went through some undisclosed personal stuff, during which time his previously spotless trading record was considerably besmerched.. How could anyone have known? He was a good trader before  but suddenly and unexpectedly dropped the ball, so to speak.

I'd say use regular PayPal and pay the extra to cover the fees and get protection. If you're not going to protect yourself against such eventualities, may as well just stick the cash in an envelope and hope for the best.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    edited February 2015
    Just a thought here guys...it could be that this Collingridge guy has had his ID stolen, much like the good work done by forumites to find out who he is - I'm sure that if its that easy to find, then scammers could also find that info and use it...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • His phone number is on his website or twitter, call him up and ask.

For those saying PayPal won't help - definitely try your credit card company too. PayPal might not like it but your card company might be able to reverse the transaction despite paypal whining.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    edited February 2015
    welshboyo said:
    Just a thought here guys...it could be that this Collingridge guy has had his ID stolen, much like the good work done by forumites to find out who he is - I'm sure that if its that easy to find, then scammers could also find that info and use it...
    Just a thought here... you're suggesting that scammers have set up several false accounts on this forum, at least three different Photobucket accounts connected to those accounts, set up a few different email address, managed to link all of this to Facebook and Twitter accounts and a personal business website, and then managed to travel back in time to commit fraud on motor vehicle forums (here and here)...

If this is true, then they should be working for News International covering up emails, not fucking about with low-level fraud on a guitar forum. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    If this is true, then they should be working for News International covering up emails, not fucking about with low-level fraud on a guitar forum. 

Well, Piers Morgan is out of a job at the moment. Maybe times are tough?

• TinLip said:
    Well, Piers Morgan is out of a job at the moment. 
    If only that were true. Natural platform, natural audience. 

• Sorry for all your guys being fucked over. I don't know whether it's of interest or "doable" but can we not set up a donation pot try and recoup some of the losses in this thread? Even a quid per member would surely get the funds back? Any surplus could be ploughed back into the forum?

I know it possibly sets a bad president for bailing out any bad trades in future but I'm sure we can all agree this is a pretty shitty case?
    How very rock and roll
  • Sorry for all your guys being fucked over. I don't know whether it's of interest or "doable" but can we not set up a donation pot try and recoup some of the losses in this thread? Even a quid per member would surely get the funds back? Any surplus could be ploughed back into the forum?

It would lead to anarchy. Before you know it there would be donations set up for my unemployed scumbag relief plea, GavHaus's 1 millionth pedal fund, and Drew's vaginoplasty pot. 

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    The Good Traders thread is really useful, but I don't think the tally is up to date? I imagine it is a real chore but it would be really helpful if it was reasonably current. What is involved in updating it? I'm pretty technically illiterate but would be prepared to have a go if someone could tell me how (and as long as I could do so in say an hour a week)
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited February 2015
    dean2371 said:
    The Good Traders thread is really useful, but I don't think the tally is up to date? I imagine it is a real chore but it would be really helpful if it was reasonably current. What is involved in updating it? I'm pretty technically illiterate but would be prepared to have a go if someone could tell me how (and as long as I could do so in say an hour a week)
    I did it for a year or so and it wasn't that bad as long as you keep on top of it. Make a note of the last post in the thread that you had captured, add one on to each of the +1's in the first thread and save it. I found it easier to have a master list saved off in notepad with all of the forum names in one block you can Ctrl F each name lol.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Heartfeltdawn;527009" said:
    benmurray85 said:

Sorry for all your guys being fucked over. I don't know whether it's of interest or "doable" but can we not set up a donation pot try and recoup some of the losses in this thread? Even a quid per member would surely get the funds back? Any surplus could be ploughed back into the forum?

It would lead to anarchy. Before you know it there would be donations set up for my unemployed scumbag relief plea, GavHaus's 1 millionth pedal fund, and Drew's vaginoplasty pot. 
    Yeah I do agree. Just can't help feeling sorry for all above.
    How very rock and roll
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Thanks @photek sadly you lost me about halfway through your post! Happy to do it if someone can provide an idiots guide and set up whatever access I might need
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    edited February 2015
    welshboyo said:
    Just a thought here... you're suggesting that scammers have set up several false accounts on this forum, at least three different Photobucket accounts connected to those accounts, set up a few different email address, managed to link all of this to Facebook and Twitter accounts and a personal business website, and then managed to travel back in time to commit fraud on motor vehicle forums (here and here)...

but on the other hand, do you really think that one person would be dumb enough to leave numerous trails back to themselves, including their address, phone numbers and personal facebook accounts.

I'm not trying to piss on your chips here mate, you've done some good work, but at the same time, something to me doesn't sound right about the ability to track this person so easily...

hopefully I'm wrong and the twat is just thick and has genuinely left such a trail...

• I think the most constructive thing we could do is post on his Facebook photography page "Wow, great photos.  When you aren't ripping people off on internet forums you seem to be putting your other talents to great use."
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Lots of fraudsters bet on the fact that their victims won't do anything about the fraud after the fact. Gullibility continues after the fraud. Their victims look for reasons why the fraudster might not be bad. Cognitive re-alignment. For example, "he might have had id stolen..." Sadly this is very typical victim behaviour... :(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    welshboyo said:
     said:
    welshboyo said:

but on the other hand, do you really think that one person would be dumb enough to leave numerous trails back to themselves, including their address, phone numbers and personal facebook accounts.

I'm not trying to piss on your chips here mate, you've done some good work, but at the same time, something to me doesn't sound right about the ability to track this person so easily...

hopefully I'm wrong and the twat is just thick and has genuinely left such a trail...

That was my thought initially (The stolen ID thingy) but a few people, including myself have left messages on J Collingridge's mobile (on his website) and sent emails to his business address and, as yet have had no replies.

I agree, I can't believe that if someone was going to rob people like this, surely they wouldn't use Paypal or other traceable methods of taking people's hard earned! But then some people have Brass necks or are just under the impression that as long as they keep it to relatively low amounts (ie under £100) then people will just write it off as too much hassle for a small amount and not bother chasing them, but, all those small amounts make a big amount and if people get together and report it…

If it were me getting a whole bunch of messages relating to fraudulent activity using my ID, I'd be on it like a shot. I think his silence speaks volumes
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @welshboyo - you could well be right, but so far I've PM'd him via facebook, emailed to the two addresses I had plus the one on the fotography website and then followed him on twitter and PM'd him there too. Also left a polite message on his business telephone number and the one on the web site lookup. So far the only response has been for him to block me on twitter.

If he was innocent/not the right guy, all he has had to do is reply one way or another to say we have the wrong guy, with a couple of OMGs thrown in for good measure. 

As he hasn't answered, I've gone the police and money claim routes and we'll see if he answers them. If not at least the court will rule against him and as Fret says, the prospect of his cameras going out the door may encourage him to think about it all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    edited February 2015
    welshboyo said:

Yes, I really do think people are that stupid. Check this article out for a hoot. So stupid that they lie about the trading time when they've got HMRC right round the corner buying their sandwiches from them. An awful lot of crime is not clever or intelligent. It's just done by people who think they can get away with it. 

People really don't realise how much can be out there online in just a few clicks. For example, the outsourcing of the administration of a whole wodge of student loans to Capita was found with just one email from Erudio Student Loans. The email source code gave out an IP address and server details that nailed it down as coming from Capita. Cue Erudio coming clean about outsourcing, thus explaining to a degree why the whole selloff and changeover had been done so badly.