Looking for a cheap as chips 2x12 or 4x10 combo

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
edited March 2015 in Amps
And when I say cheap I mean nasty cheap. Tell me about those unfashionable amps that sound great, take pedals well and have volume to spare but have slipped under the radar of popularity and can be had for a bargain.

I'm just after something as a second amp, i'd prefer valve but open to solid state so long as they take pedals well. I tried a Yamaha G100 once and bloody loved it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    HH 100W top + Harley-Benton Vintage 2x12 cab ?
    Could you get a Carlsbro top cheap enough?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72912
    Carlsbro Stingray.

The king of super cheap but surprisingly good-sounding, robust and extremely loud amps.

The oldest version is the best, like this:

You *might* have to pay over £100 for one in nice condition. They sound great in a typical 70s way - big open clean tone and fuzztone distortion.

Later ones like this, you shouldn't have to pay even that much:

These ones sound a bit chunkier and more 'modern'.

You may need to replace the handle, they break. Apart from that and the typical dirty effects loop jack problem - which makes them either not work at all, or intermittently vary in volume - very little ever goes wrong with them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    They look they'd do the job nicely. How much would you expect to pay for one of the original ones in good shape?
    What about Peavey's any old nasty looking 80's ones that sound good?
  • You can get peavey stereo chorus amps cheap sometimes - like a 2x12 bandit with a stereo chorus in it.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5198
    edited March 2015

Good shout @ICBM- I've used one of those old Stingrays in the past and got surprisingly good sounds.

...surprising if you believe that crusty old tranny amps from the dawn of time ought to sound like shit that is, which many guitarists do, hence the bargain basement prices.

@Duppy03: I've got an HH Studio 100 2x12" in the shed that I never use- it was working fine when I last checked. Only issue is that the knob has broken off the master volume pot- pot still works and can still just about be adjusted and should be an easy fix. Assuming it hasn't died of neglect and you can pick it up from Leicester you can have it for nowt.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Sorry but I have to disagree with you @ICBM re the Carlsboro Stingray.  I had one in the 1970s and while it was reliable, the sound was awful [not to put too fine a point on it].  No matter how much knob twiddling I did, it always sounded too bright even for country music.  No heart to the sound, aka balls, it always sounded 'toppy'.  If that is the sound you want, go for it my friend.  I traded mine in for a Marshall 50 watt head and a Nolan 4 * 12" cab.  Now THAT was a good combination.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited March 2015
    Well I can get a good sound out of them ;). Big and open clean sound - yes, quite bright, but they have effective tone controls. The voicing isn't actually a million miles from a Fender Twin. Although the onboard fuzz is also pretty much like putting a fuzz pedal through a Twin, it has to be said :).

The 80s ones are darker, and take multi-FX really well. Almost the ideal amp for a floorboard-based system in fact - loud enough that headroom will never be an issue and quite neutral-sounding.

I love old Peaveys too - although they tend to be a touch more expensive... they're marginally more desirable. The Stereo Chorus and the Renown are the best models, the Renown in particular sounds great as long as subtlety is not high on your agenda! 160 or 210 watts (depending on model) of extremely loud, steely solid-state tone which does not take prisoners :D.

Or if you want the same sort of thing in a 1x12", there's the Special, which is like a Bandit with double the power...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I had a Stingray in the early 80s with built in 'suzz' it was loud, reliable and sounded awful
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    If you find a head you like, I have a harley Benton 212 cab thats yours for £40?
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    @english-bob thanks fro the kind offer. If i'm passing by that way in the near future and haven't sorted anything else i'll give you a shout. Cheers.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5198
    @Duppy03 - in that case I'll drag the amp out of the shed and make sure it's alive and well. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Have you seen the big Peavey @dogload has up for sale? I want it myself, but now is not the time :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

dchwhite said:
    Have you seen the big Peavey @dogload has up for sale? I want it myself, but now is not the time :)
    That's a great deal.

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    ICBM said:
    dchwhite said:
    That's a great deal.
    I'd like it, as I think it would stop me whittling on about the JC120 I foolishly sold for buttons as a younger idiot.

Unfortunately, the house we currently rent is just too small. The last place had a double garage (madness!) that all sorts of sins could find temporary shelter in, and avoid unwelcome attention.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    OK - now you looked at a right load of old sh1te, up the ante and spend a bit xtra and go for a Vox AC15C2... sounds bloody amazing!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_ac15_c2.htm

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/vox-ac15c2-twin-534670

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @57Deluxe I had a Vox AC15TBX once, awesome amp, my mate has the current AC15 and AC30C. Both great. But I know have a Matchless DC30 clone which has the Vox vibe covered. I was after something that could offer up a different tone, ideally Fendrish for when I bi-amp.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    /\ well why didn't you tell us that!!
    :)]
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    You deffo need my Peavey. :)
    edited March 2015
    @dogload i'm sorely tempted! Where abouts are you?