I have failed...

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
About 6 months ago I bought a lovely MusicMan SUB on a bit of a whim, I'd always fancied having a bass but I'd never gotten around to buying one before.

Unfortunately I've barely picked it up, even though I enjoy playing it enormously. I'm not sure why it doesn't occur to me to play it more often, but I wonder if it's because that in isolation (with my lack of talent & creativity at least) it doesn't seem to carry a song on it's own when compared to a guitar*. I found I had to be playing along to tracks to get anything close to the same satisfaction from playing, and while this is fine, it just made the whole affair that much more of an inconvenience. :(

If space wasn't an issue then I'd probably hang onto it, but it is so I'm moving it on before it gets tremendously dusty, and putting the money towards a PRS of some sorts that I'll likely play more often.

As a side note, those SUBs are awesome, buy mine. :)

*exceptions aside.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    mr Geek, I'm not in the market for a righty bass.. but where are you - still in London? if you fancy a meet up at a cheap studio we can jam :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    It's a common problem - the sort of bassline that's needed to support a song is no fun to play on its own. I remember reading an interview with Pete Trewavas or Marillion saying exactly that: it was hard to practise bass because it's so dull on its own.

The result is you either practise to backing tracks, or you don't practise, .... or you end up practising solo and developing a very busy style of playing that is unlikely to work well in a band context. 

I'd suggest finding a set-up whereby you can practise along to some tracks with very little effort. E.g. having an ipod permanently plugged into the aux input on your bass amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited March 2015
    This is a crafty sales thread bump if I ever saw one! :)

I like playing bass, I'm almost entirely a pick player for anything technical but I have passable finger style for slower stuff.  I don't have the time to practice finger style to the level I want to as guitar is my main instrument.

Playing root notes in synchronisation with guitar isn't difficult especially if you're primarily a guitarist.  But carrying a groove with a bass line and interlocking tightly with drums without loosing feel is a proper skill.  People under value a good bassist!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801

The result is you either practise to backing tracks, or you don't practise, .... or you end up practising solo and developing a very busy style of playing that is unlikely to work well in a band context. 

100% and this is why it soooo hard to find good bass players.

I only ever play bass when I am writing or recording - really for most situations knowing your way around a guitar = knowing your way around a bass - even though there are players whose Bass craft goes well above mine - but for those of us dabbling, bass can be a bit dull.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    frankus said:
    mr Geek, I'm not in the market for a righty bass.. but where are you - still in London? if you fancy a meet up at a cheap studio we can jam :)
    I am indeed! I moved back here in the summer, and this time for the forseeable future. That sounds like a plan though, I'm very rusty but it'll be a good kick up the ass I'm sure to encourage me to play better! :D

@guitarfishbay - not quite my intention but if it has that effect then it's fine with me! ;) I'd definitely be happier practicing with a drummer, it's been far too long since I've even done that with a guitar!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'm glad to hear you're rusty as I'm shit at playing :) where are you based, we can figure out a convenient location via pm if you like :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • It's tricky sometimes for guitarists to take to bass fully. Before last year i'd only ever dabbled to help out a charity I worked for and the fact that my brother is a bassist.

Then, I got asked to play bass in a trio and had to up my game. Along came a load of drive and determination to get good at bass. I think if id continued to just noodle about at home I wouldn't have gotten any further, as it can be just a lot of root notes and a steep learning curve in some places. Has to be the right situation!

And yes, those S.U.B. basses are incredible for the money!
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    I can understand the frustration. I love playing bass, and particularly my Rick 4001 - but I never play it at all, unless I'm either: testing an amp repair (doesn't apply to most people); learning a song (playing along to the record or a demo); or playing with the band. I never sit with it at home and play for enjoyment, it just doesn't work.

So unless you have an active outlet with it in a band context, it's probably not worth keeping one if you're not already finding you play it by itself and don't want to play along to tracks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    convert garage
    get mates round
    jam away 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    I live in a 1-bed flat on the 23rd floor... a garage isn't really an option. :(
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Been in a similar situation before I feel ya pain
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    mart said:
    It's a common problem - the sort of bassline that's needed to support a song is no fun to play on its own. I remember reading an interview with Pete Trewavas or Marillion saying exactly that: it was hard to practise bass because it's so dull on its own.

I'd actually massively agree with this!

When I was 19 I had my first guitar. I met a guy who I was jamming with, and because he was also a guitarist, I bought myself a cheap nasty jazz bass of eBay and started teaching myself bass. For about 3 years bass was my primary instrument and I loved it. Even though I didn't know too much about it at the time.

Playing through a *really* good bass rig is what makes bass fun. The raw power and trouser flap that you get from it.

All that crazy slappin' and poppin' crap that Victor Wooten does... doesn't interest me really. A big fat bass setup, drop-D tuning, and some heavy riffs.... does me for bass playing!!
  • There was an 8x10 cab in our rehearsal room last week as the provided backline.  It was pretty awesome.
    There was an 8x10 cab in our rehearsal room last week as the provided backline.  It was pretty awesome.
    Same here. Unfortunately one of the speakers was sounding a bit farty after I'd run fuzz bass through it for two hours…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You need to learn some Chilli Peppers and Rage Against The Machine and Muse. 

Basslines for dayz, there. :)

Also, buy a Digitech Synth Wah.  Then destroy every speaker you plug into with it :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9980
    tFB Trader
    I am loving bass at the moment ... I have two cheap arsed basses ... a no name Japanese Precision knockoff from the Eighties ... and a Harley Benton Jazz bass ...Both now have my pickups and sound really nice for cheapies. I love 'playing at bass' ... I'll never be good ... but I am solid. So if anybody wants a blues rock bass player around East London :-)
    Just have fun with it and don't take it too seriously.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Also, buy a Digitech Synth Wah.  Then destroy every speaker you plug into with it :)
    lol

And true, if you're not careful!

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Drew_fx;570175" said:
    mart said:

The result is you either practise to backing tracks, or you don't practise, .... or you end up practising solo and developing a very busy style of playing that is unlikely to work well in a band context. I'd actually massively agree with this!

When I was 19 I had my first guitar. I met a guy who I was jamming with, and because he was also a guitarist, I bought myself a cheap nasty jazz bass of eBay and started teaching myself bass. For about 3 years bass was my primary instrument and I loved it. Even though I didn't know too much about it at the time.

Playing through a *really* good bass rig is what makes bass fun. The raw power and trouser flap that you get from it.

All that crazy slappin' and poppin' crap that Victor Wooten does... doesn't interest me really. A big fat bass setup, drop-D tuning, and some heavy riffs.... does me for bass playing!!
    Totally, I dont play bass solo pieces but I use a bass constantly when writing. It's such a compositionally important instrument in terms of setting the weight and groove of a piece. The other thing is the sparser (or if really well written the more independent) the bass part is the louder you can sit it in the mix.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23920
    I play solo bass, I practice sight reading and I play along to CDs.

And then I also sit and play when watching the telly and I join in with the music in the programme.

It's just a different approach.

Of course it could just be that the OP is destined to never join the ranks of the gods.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're looking for a PRS, I'm selling :)
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management