Guitarist Shocker - Reviews of Mojo and Creamery Pickups

What's Hot
JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
Blimey, never thought I'd see the day... Congrats to all concerned :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Good news, any links?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Is this the current issue? I'm about to pull the trigger on some pups, and I've looked at both these suppliers
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Despite being very tempted to offer various bits plus cash for your bloody strat - i must say im looking forward to the new mojos :)

We are lucky to have these guys like Mojo , Oil City and Creamery

Does anyone still buy USA pickups ?

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I buy nothing but mojo to be honest. 
    Marc is such a good guy to deal with I keep going back. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    It's the May issue - arrived in t'post today. There's a big pickup feature (A-Z type of thing, and Marc is in there for his Gold Foils as well as a Long term test for his Vintage PAFs)

Nice to see though

I buy nothing but mojo to be honest. 
    Marc is such a good guy to deal with I keep going back. 
    Yeah, me too. Top geezer

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    The vintage pafs are one set I'm thinking of getting, as well as a p90 set and some caps
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Marc's a top guy to deal with I got a set of pots and very snazzy mojo caps a few weeks ago for my les Paul.
    Err, just read it properly, and Jaime of the Creamery is commenting on pickups rather than having his reviewed. There is a review of some Cream T pickups though which, err, confused me. (ahem)

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2913
    I've dealt with Jaime before, top bloke, top service, top pickups.

Top.
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    edited April 2015
    blueskunk said:
    Despite being very tempted to offer various bits plus cash for your bloody strat - i must say im looking forward to the new mojos :)

I do, other than Bare Knuckle pickups all the other pickups I buy are mainly American made, or at least made by American companies in sweatshops based in third world countries, I would buy more U.K. manufactured pickups from to so called boutique manufacturers if the delivery times wheren't a joke, some of the U.K. pickup manufacturers expect you to wait a minimum of 21 days if not longer before they even post out your order and that's for their so called stock pickups, not custom made to your own spec ones, so you're waiting about a month to recieve your order, and if you use your instrument professionally you can't get replacement pickups quick, so your forced to buy multiple sets incase of emergencies.  It's not funny, but's it's a joke that I can order pickups from America, select the slowest and cheapest shipping method, and still receive them long before the U.K. manufacturer has even started to think about posting my order, until things like that are addressed people like me won't buy from many U.K. based manufacturers, it's sad but it's true.  The guy could be the nicest company owner in the world, but I can't afford to wait a month for pickups, especially if my sound relies on them, so like I said, that's why I tend to stck to the large manufacturers like S.D. EMG, BKP and so forth, I can get my orders in under seven days, generally within 24 hours if I'm willing to fork out for the shipping.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I must admit I tend to buy from Mojo, and everything he does is made to order/to your spec so they aren't an off-the-shelf thing. I think Oil City and the Creamery are the same, whereas people like Bare Knuckle are obviously aiming at retail these days, so they have to have stock to shift. 

Horses for courses. I can see your point if you are regularly upgrading guitars as your day job, but there are a lot of benefits to be had from talking to the guy making the pickup and him (usually uncannily) making something to match the sound in your head for that specific guitar. Plus, as my missus keeps telling me, some things are worth the wait...

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    I don't think its a joke. It's basic common sense - if you build to order your inventory isn't a liability.

Each to their own - I don't mind waiting for something that's worth waiting for. And to me it's a bit like having a tailor made suit - yes, you can buy an off the peg one that is likely to be very nice and fit well, but having something hand made to fit you is always going to be better. At the end of the day, to the untrained eye or to those that don't care, it's 'just' a suit.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    Dalefty said:I would buy more U.K. manufactured pickups from to so called boutique manufacturers if the delivery times wheren't a joke, some of the U.K. pickup manufacturers expect you to wait a minimum of 21 days if not longer before they even post out your order and that's for their so called stock pickups, not custom made to your own spec ones, so you're waiting about a month to recieve your order, and if you use your instrument professionally you can't get replacement pickups quick, so your forced to buy multiple sets incase of emergencies. 

DaLefty
    Hilarious. I'm just trying to imagine what kind of emergencies require a drawer full of spare pickups...

I've never waited anywhere near 21 days for pickups from Mojo or Oil City, and the latter was a design I requested which they'd never built before (not just a different wind, it need custom magnets and bobbins).
    My last Mojo order took about six days if I remember correctly, so luckily I didn't have to cancel my world tour.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Dalefty;580803" said:
    blueskunk said:

I do, other than Bare Knuckle pickups all the other pickups I buy are mainly American made, or at least made by American companies in sweatshops based in third world countries, I would buy more U.K. manufactured pickups from to so called boutique manufacturers if the delivery times wheren't a joke, some of the U.K. pickup manufacturers expect you to wait a minimum of 21 days if not longer before they even post out your order and that's for their so called stock pickups, not custom made to your own spec ones, so you're waiting about a month to recieve your order, and if you use your instrument professionally you can't get replacement pickups quick, so your forced to buy multiple sets incase of emergencies.  It's not funny, but's it's a joke that I can order pickups from America, select the slowest and cheapest shipping method, and still receive them long before the U.K. manufacturer has even started to think about posting my order, until things like that are addressed people like me won't buy from many U.K. based manufacturers, it's sad but it's true.  The guy could be the nicest company owner in the world, but I can't afford to wait a month for pickups, especially if my sound relies on them, so like I said, that's why I tend to stck to the large manufacturers like S.D. EMG, BKP and so forth, I can get my orders in under seven days, generally within 24 hours if I'm willing to fork out for the shipping.

DaLefty
    I can't speak for other UK pickup makers, but the last few times I've bought from Bulldog. I ordered a HOT PAF on a Tuesday, and I was installing it on Wednesday. Great service and of course amazing pickups.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Dalefty;580803" said:
    blueskunk said:

DaLefty
    Ok man.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited April 2015
    p90fool;580927" said:
    Hilarious. I'm just trying to imagine what kind of emergencies require a drawer full of spare pickups...

I now have a mental image of UN cargo planes dropping urgent supplies of slightly over-wound PAFs in areas of major need....
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    richardhomer;580954" said:
    [quote="p90fool;580927"]Hilarious. I'm just trying to imagine what kind of emergencies require a drawer full of spare pickups...

I now have a mental image of UN cargo planes dropping urgent supplies of slightly over-wound PAFs in areas of major need....
    [/quote]

PAFs for Peace :D id love to work for that organisation.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Road-side tents, staffed by Red Cross trained techs carrying out emergency installations and treble bypass capacitor mods....
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2015
    ....Just £3.00 a month can provide fresh lemon oil and solder. £10.00 a month would provide fret-dressing and crowning to people with desperate actions and intonation difficulties....

Please, do what you can, just text ALNICO to....
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom