Acoustic Epiphany

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
I cant believe just how much fun Im having simply playing my acoustic guitars !!  . . . . . . I very rarely touch my Telecaster these days, I havent gigged for ages so I dont use my amp either. . . . Ive recently bought a second acoustic ( Seagull S6 ) to sit with my Taylor and Im having the best time ever simply strumming and picking through all the tunes Ive learnt over the past 30 years
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Yep, I can go months before touching my electric guitars.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    There's a lot to be said for not having to plug anything in or switch anything on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Been doing a lot of recording acoustic guitar for a mate of mine , hours of endless fun sat in the Garden with a wooden box of air, great fun ;)

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I often go acoustic when im pissed off with my electric playing to be honest. Im beginning to suspect im a much better acoustic than electric player in my sub-Bert Jansch-esque fumbling. There's something tremendous about feeling the vibration of it go into your chest.
    I think once weve finally moved this summer and the 2014/2015 Great Gear Embargo is lifted i might treat myself to a nice new, possibly smaller bodied, acoustic.   
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    It's pronounced 'Epiphone'.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    It's a lot more satisfying playing a nice full rich sounding acoustic.
    Electric on it's own can sound a bit dull in comparison.
  • alvynmcqalvynmcq Frets: 11
    For the past 3 weeks or so I have played nothing but my classical guitar and working on my classical technique (which is total balls). I think it is making me work a lot more at the finer details, especially tone production and dynamics. 

I am even having silly ideas about doing some graded exams.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    I'm also currently enjoying playing acoustic massively. I'm thinking I have one too many electrics. Having dark thoughts about setting a purple PRS.
    Acousticguitar.com has some nice lessons etc. Anybody know any other good acoustic websites or even books? Something to keep it fresh and new..
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I love the Acoustic, you have to work harder for it to sing. but the payoff is huge.

I change the way on play on it. It's mainly fingerstyle. Next to no legato or bends.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Sassafras said:
    It's a lot more satisfying playing a nice full rich sounding acoustic.
    Electric on it's own can sound a bit dull in comparison.
    you've got the wrong electric guitar (or amp) ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Much more comfortable playing acoustic than electric and love working with open tunings, particularly Celtic tunings.  My Forster Model C is usually in DADGAD; McilRoy A30 in CGCGCD, Larrivee OM09 kept in DAAEAE (pibroch); my there Larrivees (C09 and TSB SD50) are usually kept in standard tuning, although the SD 50 is the only dreadnought I have owned that can handle any open tuning you throw at it
    @AuldReekie - how do you find your Larrivees compared to your other guitars? I've got an OM-O2 - love it!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    AuldReekie;612807" said:
    Much more comfortable playing acoustic than electric and love working with open tunings, particularly Celtic tunings.  My Forster Model C is usually in DADGAD; McilRoy A30 in CGCGCD, Larrivee OM09 kept in DAAEAE (pibroch)
    Have you ever tried the 'John Martyn' tuning - CFCCGD? (The two middle strings are in unison).

On a guitar which can take it, its really sonorous - and some very simple shapes sound amazing.
    @AuldReekie - how do you find your Larrivees compared to your other guitars? I've got an OM-O2 - love it!
    The Larrivees have seen off my Martins and Taylors and I traded a Santa Cruz dreadnought to fund the TSB SD50. Whilst any assessment and related comparison has to have an element of subjectivity, I would take a 9 Series Larrivee over any Taylor or Martin I ave played.  The Santa Cruz i sold was actually a really good guitar, but it wasn't right for me.  They are great guitars
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    I'm so glad I started this discussion . . . Let the Acoustic love flow :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

AuldReekie;612807" said:
    Much more comfortable playing acoustic than electric and love working with open tunings, particularly Celtic tunings.  My Forster Model C is usually in DADGAD; McilRoy A30 in CGCGCD, Larrivee OM09 kept in DAAEAE (pibroch)
    Have you ever tried the 'John Martyn' tuning - CFCCGD? (The two middle strings are in unison).

On a guitar which can take it, its really sonorous - and some very simple shapes sound amazing.
    Haven't tried it yet, but every likelihood that by early tomorrow evening I will have!  Thank you for this.  Try the Pibroch (bagpipe) tuning I mentioned even if you aren't interested in the bagpipes.  I use it to play Bill Frisells' "Ghost Town/Song for Eva" and the Blue Niles "Lets go out tonight", neither of which I would imagine would suit the bagpipesI  Thanks again for the tuning tip
    I haven't tried the 9 series - what's so good about them? 
    My OM-02 has no electrics so I'm looking at adding some...
  • wordywordy Frets: 67
    does anyone use 13s on their acoustics?