NPD Digitech Trio

What's Hot
jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
Just picked one up......hoping to try it out tonight whilst watching the election unfold......
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited May 2015
    Wow.  Been after one of these for a while didn't realise they had hit the shops.  Unfortunately I might have to wait till payday.

I shall await your review.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Does this pedal compensate for poor technique ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 882
    I have flashbackx4 but think maybe I should have got this

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    capo4th said:
    Does this pedal compensate for poor technique ?
    I hope so.....
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    edited May 2015
    @jellyroll.... Well... Come on mate, spill those beans !

I must say I do fancy one of these, and the new Digitech deeelay...

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Me too. Had no idea they'd been released. REPORT GODDAMMIT!
    edited May 2015
    Ok, I've had a quick 20 minutes. First impressions: It's easy to use. Plug and play. I didn't dowmload any manual. It comes with a tiny quick start guide of about 100 words which is fine. Haven't sussed out all the features but the basics are very straightforward. I never normally get around to putting backing tracks on a CD. But because this just sits with your pedals and plays through your guitar amp, it makes play along far simpler. It's quite noisy. I play into a clean amp which might accentuate the noise but there is a noticeable buzz when it's plugged in. Having said that, it's not terrible and once you start playing it gets drowned out. Selecting different genres gives "interesting results". So far "Jazz" seems quite good for pentatonic noodling and "Blues" has potential too. The drum patterns are quite complex sounding (to me). Certainly not just straight quarter notes but some fairly interesting patterns. So far. Do I like it? Yes. Will I use it? Probably. It's a fun toy that will add some variety to my noodling and practicing and will perhaps take me out of my comfort zone in a good way. I'm a home player only and it does get me a fraction of a step closer to playing as though I'm with a band. I imagine it wouldn't be that appealing to those who actually do play in a band. Anyway, back to my noodling.....
    Don't know what happened to the paras, sorry.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    Thanks for your initial thoughts @jellyroll, I'm a home player and I'm looking for something to make playing a bit more interesting without having to play along to a YouTube track or such like. It reminds me a bit of the backing you can get from an arranger keyboard they adapt your playing and left hand playing but obviously only to your keyboard playing! Not a bad price either at GAK

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Cheers @jellyroll,  muchly appreciate you taking the time to give your initial impressions,  Keep it coming as you delve deeper.  

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Have to admit I've been intrigued by these. Congratulations on the new toy :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Does the drumming section get all pissed off when the gig is over and he has to pack all his stuff away?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    Headphone feature is pretty cool. Can use it without an amp for late night (election watching) noodling. No onboard FX but can run pedals through it. Mains powered only though so you can't just pop it next to you on the sofa without a lead. Correction - there are onboard effects - see posts below.
    Noise is starting to annoy me a bit now, maybe because it's gone 11pm so every decibel counts......
  • jellyroll said:
    Noise is starting to annoy me a bit now, maybe because it's gone 11pm so every decibel counts......
    I'm happy to see these pedals have made it to the UK!  The Trio was developed by us at Harman Canada and so I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you have.  We should start with the noise because the Trio should be a really quiet pedal. Are you using the included power supply? A few people have heard noise when daisy chaining supplies but it was fixed when they used the included power supply.

Also, there are on board FX that are great with the headphones - the effects are tuned to each genre. The manual is on the DigiTech website for more information. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    @HarmanCanadaEng thanks for posting. Yes, I am using the power supply. I'll tweak my amp tonight and see if it helps. Thanks for pointing out the onboard FX - will need to explore how to use them. Overall, I think the pedal is a great idea and feels robust and intuitive.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    jellyroll said:
    I'm happy to see these pedals have made it to the UK!  The Trio was developed by us at Harman Canada and so I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you have.  We should start with the noise because the Trio should be a really quiet pedal. Are you using the included power supply? A few people have heard noise when daisy chaining supplies but it was fixed when they used the included power supply.

Also, there are on board FX that are great with the headphones - the effects are tuned to each genre. The manual is on the DigiTech website for more information. 

Oh welcome to the board! Question - is the trio firmware update-able? I.e will it be in constant development (like VST software for example) with the backing generation algorithms being tweaked etc.. 
    edited May 2015
    An interesting discovery on the noise....my setup is normally to have 2 pedals going into my amp - a delay (strymon timeline) and a dirt pedal ( EQD Speaker cranker). Thinking that I didn't want to add the FX to the Trio output, I figured I should put the pedals before the Trio in the chain. After some experimentation, it seems that putting the Timeline before the Trio is causing the noise. The placement of the Speaker Cranker doesn't seem to matter. So, with guitar -> Speaker Cranker->Trio->Timeline->Amp, the noise disappears. Good news.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    Some further thoughts on the Trio. It's well built and easy to use and the output audio quality is good, no concerns there. With the output being determined by its built-in algorithms rather than being crafted by the user, its usefulness will ultimately depend on whether one likes the drum and bass rhythms it produces. At this stage, I'd say there are promising signs although I do find myself just wanting a dead simple rhythm and it seems to want to produce "fancier" stuff. I haven't yet played with all the genres though. Although there is the ability to select different styles within each genre , there is no obvious indication of the differences between each style - you have to find out by trial and error. (Edit - I have now seen that there is in fact a full description of each style in the online manual). Perhaps it's not such a bad thing to surrender oneself to the machine - in a band situation one can't necessarily control the bass and drums so the Trio
    mirrors life I guess.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    jellyroll said:
    in a band situation one can't necessarily control the bass and drums so the Trio
    mirrors life I guess.
    Does it get faster and faster or slower and slower..