The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11415
    scrumhalf said:
    Stuckfast said:
    Maybe some of the batting was low quality, but the duel between Anderson and Kohli in the first innings was right out of the top drawer. (Apart from Malan's catching.)
    Malan's catching was out of the top drawer, unfortunately it should have stayed in the bloody drawer.

Our slip catching has really gone badly downhill.
    Don't get much practice at it any more.  How many slips do you see in pyjama cricket hackabouts?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Stokes acquitted.

Meeting him later in Bristol for celebratory voddies and ale

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    He wouldn't last 10 minutes in St Pauls. 

Should be fun to see how the ECB disrepute charge goes. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Gassage said:
    Stokes acquitted.

Another serious CPS cock-up. They're not fit for purpose.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Fretwired said:
    Gassage said:
    Stokes acquitted.

Interesting that the prosecution wanted to change the charges but the judge wouldn't let them...

Nitefly said:
    Fretwired said:
    Gassage said:
    Stokes acquitted.

Interesting that the prosecution wanted to change the charges but the judge wouldn't let them...

Missed the deadline. The defence wouldn't have had time to prepare. They also failed to charge Alex Hales who was caught on CCTV stamping on someone's head nor call some key witnesses. Utter shambles apparently.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Given that he's already missed the Ashes, and some of this series, I would have thought that they shouldn't be dishing out any additional punishment on top.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    crunchman said:

Given that he's already missed the Ashes, and some of this series, I would have thought that they shouldn't be dishing out any additional punishment on top.
    I'd actually exclude him from the next available squad to reinforce the message that his conduct wasn't acceptable.
    scrumhalf said:
    crunchman said:

I'd actually exclude him from the next available squad to reinforce the message that his conduct wasn't acceptable.
    He's been added to the squad to the third test!

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited August 2018
    "Mr Stokes told the jury he "stepped in" to defend two gay men who were being verbally abused, and these men have appeared on Good Morning Britain to thank him for his help as they felt threatened."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/gay-couple-at-the-centre-of-ben-stokes-trial-thank-him-for-risking-everything/ar-BBLWZKb?ocid=spartanntp

Sounds like he is due a pat on the back, not a suspension doesn't it?
    quarky said:
    "Mr Stokes told the jury he "stepped in" to defend two gay men who were being verbally abused, and these men have appeared on Good Morning Britain to thank him for his help as they felt threatened."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/gay-couple-at-the-centre-of-ben-stokes-trial-thank-him-for-risking-everything/ar-BBLWZKb?ocid=spartanntp

Sounds like he is due a pat on the back, not a suspension doesn't it?

That is for the ECB Cricket Discipline Committee to decide. 

edited August 2018
    crunchman said:

Missing the Ashes after being charged was the right call as he was being investigated by the police. 

When the incident took place, Stokes was the vice captain of the ODI side. In those circumstances, being out at the small hours in the middle of an ODI series is seriously fucking stupid, especially when you have previous form for being sent home from a Lions tour for late night drinking. Ben Duckett got chucked for far less than Stokes has done. It wouldn't surprise me if he is kept out of the winter squads, no bad thing considering we have the World Cup next year. 

I did read that the ECB couldn't get the CDC involved prior to the court case because that may have prejudiced the outcome of that case. So the ECB had to wait for the court case to end before addressing the cricketing charge of disrepute. 

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Steve Harmison was saying on talksport yesterday that if he is punished by the ECB , the PCA will be all over them.

If there was any inclination they would punish him, why on earth did he play the first test of the series, or the ODI's v New Zealand and earlier this summer. Either state outright you are not considered for selection until the trial is finished, and then we do our internal code of conduct review, or pick him. They picked him. The PCA will jump on that.

I wouldn't pick him for this test anyway as it happens. Woakes got a ton, Curran is playing really well and Pope needs more than 1 innings to prove his credentials. Win the series, give Stokes a week to get his head straight then pick him for the next test and rest Broad.

They wouldn't...or shouldn't add him to the squad if they are then to turn around and punish/ban him.

For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials

I wouldn't pick him for this test anyway as it happens. Woakes got a ton, Curran is playing really well and Pope needs more than 1 innings to prove his credentials. Win the series, give Stokes a week to get his head straight then pick him for the next test and rest Broad.

They wouldn't...or shouldn't add him to the squad if they are then to turn around and punish/ban him.

I agree with this .. he'll have been out partying after the court case.

Steve Harmison was saying on talksport yesterday that if he is punished by the ECB , the PCA will be all over them.

If there was any inclination they would punish him, why on earth did he play the first test of the series, or the ODI's v New Zealand and earlier this summer. Either state outright you are not considered for selection until the trial is finished, and then we do our internal code of conduct review, or pick him. They picked him. The PCA will jump on that.

They didn't pick him for Australia because he was still under investigation. It would have made no sense to pick him, fly him out there, and then fly him back if the police wanted to talk to him. 

Once the investigation was finished and he received a charge, then he was free to play up until the trial began. Had the ECB not considered him before the trial, then Stokes may well have had a case for lose of earnings when he was still innocent until proven guilty. As he was proven innocent, an earlier ban might well have left the ECB liable to a claim. 

Remember also that it involves more than one England player. From December last year in the Indie:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/ashes/alex-hales-ben-stokes-england-ashes-bristol-incident-australia-a8090626.html

"What complicates the matter is that Hales is being treated as a witness in the Stokes case. Because of this, the ECB’s independent Cricket Discipline Commission has delayed the start of any internal disciplinary process until after the Stokes case has concluded, in order to avoid prejudicing any potential criminal trial.

Thus, the CDC will decide on the fates of both Stokes and Hales at the same time. And so Stokes is not guaranteed to be cleared for selection even if charges against him are dropped, for the CDC could yet decide to impose their own sanction that would prevent him from featuring in the current Ashes series."

I don't know what legal counsel Harmison has received but I would anticipate that it's not going to have been as thorough as that received by the ECB. As fucking terrible as the ECB have been in the past and will be in the future with the Load of 100 Balls competition, I think they've actually got things right with Stokes. The minute he was charged, that case took precedence but that did not mean that internal cricket disciplinary matters evaporated into nothingness.

You also have to consider the fallout of the Australian ball tampering scandal. Cricket Australia were quite rightly fucking hard on those players who are suspended. We have to follow that approach. Stokes was not guilty of a criminal offence but he may well be guilty of breaking internal rules. As said earlier, you have to ask what the fuck an England vice captain is doing out on the piss in the small hours during the middle of a series when he has been warned previously about late night drinking when representing England. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Heartfeltdawn said:
    you have to ask what an England vice captain is doing out on the piss in the small hours during the middle of a series when he has been warned previously about late night drinking when representing England. 
    Probably attempting to out-Pod Dave Podmore.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14038
    tFB Trader
    To drop Curran for Stokes is a very bad choice - What has Curran done wrong to be dropped - MOM on the 1st test - wickets in the 2nd - A very bad choice and one of the worst I ever seen

I'd actually rest Stokes for the next match regardless - But if you had to bring him back, then maybe Pope, but still unfair, probably Butler as has done nothing in the series so far, but either way a bad shout - Hope Stokes has a bad match and I even hope England loose based on this decision alone

He might have been found not guilty by the court, but still a drunken yob out on a bender and scrapping as well - Why was he putting himself in such a position ? - No sympathy from me
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    guitars4you said:
    I even hope England loose based on this decision alone

bit extreme! I always want England to win....but I must admit I was looking forward to getting up tomorrow and watching Curran bowl....not now!

i agree it was a terrible decision and I wonder what it will do to Curran's confidence. I wonder whose decision it was....Root? Ed Smith? Bayliss? I would have rested Stokes, won the series with the same team and then "rotated" Broad for the next match to get Stokes back in if it is deemed necessary that he plays.

He is a top cricketer...can see why they want him back in the team. 

Now though, it would seem pretty ridiculous to punish him after this test (As planned) if he is playing.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I imagine bringing stokes in was always the aim. The actual decision was Curran vs Woakes. To be honest the 3 of them have all played well so in a sporting sense it's a good problem to have. 

IMO this is the stronger lineup.
    Stokes is a strange one to me. I think he's underachieved at Test level considering his ability. 

Consider his record after 43 Tests to that of Flintoff:

Stokes: 2606 runs at 34.28, 6 centuries. 104 wickets at 32.97. 

Flintoff: 2139 runs @ 32.40, 4 centuries. 101 wickets at 35.66.

Stokes has way more batting ability than Flintoff and has the edge with the ball. His start in Test cricket was much better than Fred's was. But he's not wiping Fred's stats out of the park when Fred faced better opposition (SA, India, and Australia were all better back then than they are now). 

I wouldn't have dropped Curran for Stokes.