The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    He's got a sweater on, they aren't numbered. The Aussie numbers are huge. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Doesn’t everyone know not to ever listen to Broad when he screams for a review?
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I’d like to withdraw that...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Warner lbw Broad for 2. "Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio" 

Root's sweater off, he's got 66 on his back. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107

And that is why the people questioning Broad's place in the side were wrong beforehand and can be quiet now :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:

Even on the radio you could hear that chant when he walked off - Football chant style
    Stuckfast said:
    Yes the ECB double standards re the treatment of Durham on the one hand and Hants and Yorkshire on the other were appalling. Especially as it was at the ECB's instigation that Durham bid too much for the international matches that sent them under. It's also pretty shocking that Hants have packed their side so heavily with Kolpak players at the expense of English talent.

I'm glad to see that the CC looks like a two-horse race between Somerset and Essex, both smaller clubs with strong grassroots connections and a lot of local players.

Absolutely. Seeing how Durham were treated was disgusting when Glamorgan have been treated with kid gloves despite welshing (arf) on a loan that ended up costing the taxpayer serious money. 

Hampshire can fuck right off. Their Academy programme is superbly organised. I know a few guys from the West Country who have ended up down there and there's no doubt it's very well organised. However it hasn't produced that many established players compared to the number of guys coming through it and when you look at the Kolpak situation with the Saffers and Fidel Edwards, it does look shit. A good Kolpak can add to a side: Morne Morkel at Surrey is the perfect example of a Kolpaker coming in and acting as a senior leader in a side full of young mostly English qualified talent. 

And there's your second reason why you pick Broad!

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:

Even on the radio you could hear that chant when he walked off - Football chant style
    That was brutal!
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    ARE YOU IRELAND IN DISGUISE
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Absolutely. Seeing how Durham were treated was disgusting when Glamorgan have been treated with kid gloves despite welshing (arf) on a loan that ended up costing the taxpayer serious money. 

Hampshire can fuck right off. Their Academy programme is superbly organised. I know a few guys from the West Country who have ended up down there and there's no doubt it's very well organised. However it hasn't produced that many established players compared to the number of guys coming through it and when you look at the Kolpak situation with the Saffers and Fidel Edwards, it does look shit. A good Kolpak can add to a side: Morne Morkel at Surrey is the perfect example of a Kolpaker coming in and acting as a senior leader in a side full of young mostly English qualified talent. 

Agree.. 

Btw, do you know who is the last person born in Wales to play International Cricket?  

Surrey have a good balance of young players and older wiser heads.
    edited August 2019
    Agree.. 

Btw, do you know who is the last person born in Wales to play International Cricket?  

Imad Wasim? Seem to remember something said in one of the 2005 Ashes lookback articles featuring Simon Jones...

Which would be a perfect time for my 2005 Ashes story. I spent the final Test on crutches in agony having smashed the living shit out of my knee. 23 July 2005 I effectively retired as a player. Dislocated left kneecap, smashed off 50% of the cartilage, cruciates fucked. My knee was so full of blood that it was bigger than my thigh for the best part of two weeks. Like Simon Jones with his horrir knee injury, I had to wait for the swelling to go down before any decent MRI scans could be taken. I ended up having surgery in early October in a private clinic in Bristol. Doctor sawed off the part of the shin where the patella tendon connects, moved it down, and then screwed it back down, effectively breaking and fracturing my leg. I woke up in the afternoon out of it and two of my mates turned up. They swore blind that Simon Jones was in the building and I scoffed. 

Next morning I was watching an ODI game from the ICC Super Series. Nurse came up and asked me if I could do a quick lap of the corridor. I started up and this guy at the other end of the corridor was about to do the same. Fuck me, it really was Simon Jones. He was having surgery on the ankle injury that he'd sustained in the 4th Test that kept him out of the Oval Test. He ended up in my room for a bit watching the cricket and we talked about our respective injuries. He laughed when I told him about our own meeting on a pitch back in youth county cricket (I had him caught slogging, he watched me play and miss for two overs not getting anywhere near him as he was pretty sharp even back in his mid teens). Really nice guy and it was such a shame that he never played for England again. 

Surrey have done an excellent job to turn things around since Tom Maynard's sad end. One hopes they treat Amar Virdi well as the kid's got the best off spin action I've seen for a long time. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Is Anderson ok?  He's only bowled 4 overs while Stokes has sprayed it all over.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    looks like he is of for a scan - not looking good is it 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Makes you wonder why they didn't think about bringing in Archer if Anderson still wasn't 100% 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938

Is this the point in the game where Aus put on 150 runs for no wickets?

Hope not

edited August 2019
    No Anderson after lunch. Uh-oh. With Stokes's radar on the blink and Moeen not beng much of a threat this may not be the start we wanted. 
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    crunchman said:
    looks like he is of for a scan - not looking good is it 
    Just don't suggest it could be the last we see of him.
    Agree.. 

Imad Wasim? Seem to remember something said in one of the 2005 Ashes lookback articles featuring Simon Jones...

Which would be a perfect time for my 2005 Ashes story. I spent the final Test on crutches in agony having smashed the living shit out of my knee. 23 July 2005 I effectively retired as a player. Dislocated left kneecap, smashed off 50% of the cartilage, cruciates fucked. My knee was so full of blood that it was bigger than my thigh for the best part of two weeks. Like Simon Jones with his horrir knee injury, I had to wait for the swelling to go down before any decent MRI scans could be taken. I ended up having surgery in early October in a private clinic in Bristol. Doctor sawed off the part of the shin where the patella tendon connects, moved it down, and then screwed it back down, effectively breaking and fracturing my leg. I woke up in the afternoon out of it and two of my mates turned up. They swore blind that Simon Jones was in the building and I scoffed. 

Next morning I was watching an ODI game from the ICC Super Series. Nurse came up and asked me if I could do a quick lap of the corridor. I started up and this guy at the other end of the corridor was about to do the same. Fuck me, it really was Simon Jones. He was having surgery on the ankle injury that he'd sustained in the 4th Test that kept him out of the Oval Test. He ended up in my room for a bit watching the cricket and we talked about our respective injuries. He laughed when I told him about our own meeting on a pitch back in youth county cricket (I had him caught slogging, he watched me play and miss for two overs not getting anywhere near him as he was pretty sharp even back in his mid teens). Really nice guy and it was such a shame that he never played for England again. 

Surrey have done an excellent job to turn things around since Tom Maynard's sad end. One hopes they treat Amar Virdi well as the kid's got the best off spin action I've seen for a long time. 
    Yep.  It is Imad Wasim.  Who's not a bad player actually.  (btw, the next generation of young Pakistan players is looking very promising indeed)

A great story.  Your injury sounds terrible, how did you sustain it if you don't mind me asking?  I presume you played cricket to a decent level/  A shame you had stop playing. 

Simon Jones seems like a good guy, a real shame cricket never got to see as much of him as it could have done.  In terms of natural ability, he's probably as good as any English bowler in the last 20 years.  

Yeah you're right about the post Tom Maynard rebuilding.  Alex Stewart seems to have a good grasp of running things at Surrey.  I've not actually seen any of Amar Virdi bowl but heard very good things about him.  My nephew plays cricket and has crossed paths with him a few times and says he's a nice chap as well.  
    A few more wickets and a few more decisions over turned. 

Some very poor decision on behalf of the umpires today.  They seem to have got more key decisions wrong than right.