The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    Weary bowling, Aus off the hook here. 122-8 is now 267-9 and as @camf says 300+ is on the cards. This last 1/2 hour could be very costly.

Steve Smith is annoyingly excellent.
    Dear Stuart Broad,

You have nearly 450 Test wickets. A lengthy career. A wealth of experience. Next time Joe Root gives you an awful bowling plan and field placings, tell him to piss off back to the slip cordon and focus on matching his oppo skipper's batting performances. 

PS: Do it. You're bigger than him. 

Good to see you mention Joe Root's captaincy.  

Am I alone I thinking he seems to be given a free pass a lot of the time for poor field placements?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited August 2019
    Good solid show of strength and intent from the England openers there in those awful 2 pressured overs. Our boys could really show Aus how to bat tomorrow if they show the same from the off in the morning and are in the mood.

Good day's cricket, I love it!

Joe Root doesn't look quite right though, he looks like he's lost weight and is a little nervy. He didn't look right at the end of the Ireland game, not his normal happy joyful self.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096

Am I alone I thinking he seems to be given a free pass a lot of the time for poor field placements?  
    I don't think it's coincidental that the best England captains over my lifetime (Brearley, Hussain, and Vaughan) were all captains who were very good at handling bowlers. Folk like Gooch and Atherton weren't. Cook suffered through being over cautious rather than too experimental. I get the feeling that Root has seen the like of Michael Clarke and thinks that we have to think out of the box in order to succeed. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    End of day 1 - would we have settled for that after losing the toss - maybe - But at just over 110-8 then a big let of - Credit to Smith - Like him or loathe him he hid his side proud
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Yep, fair play to Smith, he certainly sandpapered over the cracks in the Aussie batting performance.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    End of day 1 - would we have settled for that after losing the toss - maybe - But at just over 110-8 then a big let of - Credit to Smith - Like him or loathe him he hid his side proud
    I'd probably agree with you if pushed, but we let that slip.

I'm more interested in the whole Jimmy Anderson story - why was he fit to play but was only able to bowl four overs?

I don't think it's coincidental that the best England captains over my lifetime (Brearley, Hussain, and Vaughan) were all captains who were very good at handling bowlers. Folk like Gooch and Atherton weren't. Cook suffered through being over cautious rather than too experimental. I get the feeling that Root has seen the like of Michael Clarke and thinks that we have to think out of the box in order to succeed. 
    I get the impression Anderson & Broad aren't exactly the easiest bowlers to captain in the field.  IMO, when they aren't in the team, the team spirit seems a lot better. 
    scrumhalf said:
    I'd probably agree with you if pushed, but we let that slip.

I'm more interested in the whole Jimmy Anderson story - why was he fit to play but was only able to bowl four overs?
    From Cricinfo:

"The news is bound to raise questions about the wisdom of playing Anderson, who celebrated his 37th birthday earlier this week, and the medical advice the management received.

Anderson had, however, bowled without discomfort in training - notably on Monday, when he was one of three players who appeared at an optional net session - though England's preparations were hit by poor weather and he may not have bowled the number of overs ahead of the game that might have been envisaged. England were forced to train indoors on Tuesday, where most of the seamers did not bowl due to concerns about the risk of impact issues, while the nets were damp on Wednesday, which meant most bowlers having gentle sessions on the outfield."

I'm surprised that the indoor nets at Edgbaston aren't considered safe enough for seamers to bowl in. Can't imagine they're bowling on bare concrete in there. By the sound of it, Anderson's had one real session to prove his fitness. 

If he is out, the clamour will be there for Archer to take over his slot. I wouldn't. For the Second Test, there is one guy who I'd bring straight in on the basis that he knows Lords well, he's been successful against good Test batsmen, and his recent form has been excellent: Toby Roland-Jones. All the demand is for pace at the minute but movement is the killer in Test cricket now because most batsmen simply can't play the moving ball and why Vernon Philander still takes wickets at Test level and keeps that average under 22. Even in 2005 it wasn't outright fast bowling that killed them: it was swing, seam, and movement. TRJ on the Lords slope with the weather still being a bit fruity in the rain and climate department - do it. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I'd go for Archer.  You need someone you can knock over the tail.
  • A pet peeve of mine with modern 'at home' Ashes series is the way the counties queue up to give Aussie
    players playing contracts before the series starts. They get far more prep playing on English grounds and conditions than they should as a visiting side. Imagine the furore in Oz that would happen if England players played a few months of Sheffield Shield cricket before an away ashes series.  Strewth!   :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I love TMS when Geoffrey is on.  What other commentator calls people dumplings on air?
    Joe Root given out, with the decision reviewed and reversed again.  Root was lucky for sure, as the ball clearly touched the stump but not the bat.  

The standard of umpiring in this test match has been horrific, it'd be substandard in a school match forget about a test match.  
    A pet peeve of mine with modern 'at home' Ashes series is the way the counties queue up to give Aussie
    players playing contracts before the series starts. They get far more prep playing on English grounds and conditions than they should as a visiting side. Imagine the furore in Oz that would happen if England players played a few months of Sheffield Shield cricket before an away ashes series.  Strewth!   :o

The difference between UK and Aussie wickets has reduced markedly over the last few years. There was a push to make them a bit more sporting for the seamers and for the last four rounds of the Sheffield Shield this season the Dukes ball was used. 

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/chris-tremain-daniel-worrall-nick-winter-leading-dukes-ball-bowlers-sheffield-shield/2019-02-22

That article mentioned Nick Winter and how he was encouraged to play league cricket in the UK this year in case of injury to the main squad and him emerging as an Ashes bolter. He's over at Brentwood CC in the Essex League. His league figures for the season: 124.3 overs, 50 wickets, and an average of 6.08. 

tFB Trader
    A pet peeve of mine with modern 'at home' Ashes series is the way the counties queue up to give Aussie
    agree on 2 parts - One is we are giving them 'free practice' Plus time to acclimatise - Also playing an Oz in county cricket ensures we are not playing a 'trainee academy' player who needs to break through into the system
    agree on 2 parts - One is we are giving them 'free practice' Plus time to acclimatise - Also playing an Oz in county cricket ensures we are not playing a 'trainee academy' player who needs to break through into the system
    We do need some foreigners in the county game though to keep standards up.  The main problem is the Kolpaks though.  Back in the day when you had the likes of Sobers, Richards (B), Richards (IVA), Greenidge, Holding. Marshall, Hadlee, Garner etc. the young players in county cricket got exposed to quality that they just don't see now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    We do need some foreigners in the county game though to keep standards up.  The main problem is the Kolpaks though.  Back in the day when you had the likes of Sobers, Richards (B), Richards (IVA), Greenidge, Holding. Marshall, Hadlee, Garner etc. the young players in county cricket got exposed to quality that they just don't see now.
    Agree with your comments and I can see the issue with my statement - Maybe it should be about not allowing overseas players who suddenly, or potentially are playing in the national touring side against us in the same summer - Okay for say Finch to play 20/20 after the WC, but not allow Siddle before a test series

But agree about overseas players influencing our game/players
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Proper test cricket, innit…
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited August 2019
    Good game again today. England tootling along nicely. Keep calm, patient and carry on...they need 350+, 400 would be nice.

54 overs in two sessions is a bit poor - especially when Lyon has bowled 15 of them.
  • Little Joe's done it again.  :s 40 odd 50's and 'only' 16 hundreds.
    Had to larf when his LBW was turned round on review and the whole crowd gave it 
    'same old aussies....always cheating' Cue shot of stone faced Aussies in the crowd in total silence 
    looking very very unimpressed and dare I say it .... English!?   :o