Sweet home alabama

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10645
Is it in D or G, and why?
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited June 2015
    Not sure of the reasoning "you can't have a song in mixolydian" - how about the blues? Though I see there's no flat 7 in the d chord so I think it's irrelevant anyway. I think it's in D because although every bar ends on G, you can tell that it's wanting to finalise on D. If it didn't fade out you'd finish it on a D surely.

Edit - though I see Lynyrd Skynyrd don't - they actually focus all efforts towards the G throughout the 2nd half, there are no cues towards the D, and they actually even end on the G!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    G, because that's what it resolves to. The "non scale" notes, whichever you choose them to be, are what makes it interesting
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited May 2015
    I should note, the view stated in my last post is purely Google's, and not my own, because I don't care :p

Although, if I have to have an opinion, it's in G, which is the same notes as D mixolydian, but mixolydian isn't a key, it's a scale. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Oh shitting hell not this again. Its in D.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited May 2015
    I'd say D. Don't worry about it though. Just thump it out and enjoy.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Lol shreddery :D
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    It's in G same as Hey joe is in E

Forget all the thoery it's simply what it always wants to resolve to .... That's the Key
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

But that's exactly the point - some people feel it wants to resolve to D. Because it seems unnatural to finish the song on the G - like it's still unresolved and is hankering for a final D chord.

But here's another one of them doing it live, and again they finalise onto the G. In fact, the way they play it, it is resoundingly pointing to the G every bar near the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZOozDHL0LA
    viz said:

But that's exactly the point - some people feel it wants to resolve to D. Because it seems unnatural to finish the song on the G - like it's still unresolved and is hankering for a final D chord.

Yeah they do but to me it's always settling on G ...... like G's the earth and  the song takes off,  has a fly around to D and C then lands back on earth which is G in my head but I spose other people think of the D as being earth based because that was the first chord played. 

Played it last night and finished on the D which isn't my idea and sounds wrong to me but hey ho
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Isn't there a story about their producer (whilst trying to get the solos done) saying "play it in D not G" or something?

I'd got with G myself, as everything comes back to G.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Although I say it's in G, we finish it on a D!
    edited November 2017
    OK, if you were soloing over the SHA chord sequence, which scale would you use? Without actually trying it I'm pretty sure I'd use a mixture of D minor and D major pentatonics.

To my mind it's a bit like Cream's Tales Of Brave Ulysses - the main sequence here is D : C : G/B bass : Bb : Clapton plays the guitar solo using pretty much the D minor and major pentatonics
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    I solo over it in G major when improvising although I tend to play the solos note for note so I'm not thinking of scale shapes taking that route.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    HAL9000 said:
    OK, if you were soloing over the SHA chord sequence, which scale would you use? 
    Does the difficulty here lie in trying to force it into scalar thinking? One of the riffs includes both the F and the F# notes over the D chord, followed by Eb and E over C
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    Yes but the F and the Eb are just chromatic links to the F# and the E so don't really count when you're thinking about scales.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    D mixolydian.

The Gm pent will work if a few grace notes take a nod to the D and C when they occur,  which is pretty much what I do 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Guitar theory really goes over my head... but what I can't figure out is... why does it matter?  (It's an honest question)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom