How bad are One Direction?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
Here's a clue. My sister in law's car got broken into at the weekend. They took 30p in change and two 'Christian' CDs, but left her daughters two 1D CDs. I think that says something.
22reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    F@#king awful.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15926
    edited June 2015

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

they have a team of top writer / producer types behind them... so I'd say they're about as good as they can be..

given all the backing and knowhow they have behind them, they only need to be "good enough" to be made to sound extremely good..

such is the industry...

so how good / bad are they? it just don't matter, you'll never find out

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The guy obviously already had those albums.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I have an 8yo daughter so 1D probably makes up about 80% of the music I listen to. Maybe I'm just getting used to it but most of it is pretty good pop tbh, good songs sung well. The robbers have done themselves out of some quality pop, such is the burden of the modern criminal with highbrow music tastes.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I have an 8yo daughter so 1D probably makes up about 80% of the music I listen to.

Do not blame Miss Decker Jnr for your bad taste.

The biggest issue with1D, is a massive lack of shredding guitar solo's.

And obviously the exploitation of young girls for profit.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I've said this before but I have no shame in doing so again… :)

I quite like One Direction.

They may not be your personal taste but they are not 'bad', really. I also didn't discover this until my 8-year-old daughter got into them and I bought her all the albums, but they really are pretty well-made pop records. As Clarky says, how much is *actually* them may be a bit questionable - and modern studio technology can make up for a lot - but the same is true of some much more respected acts from the past in the same sort of field.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    edited June 2015
    To be honest I have nothing against them at all, it's a certain type of music for a certain type of person, which broadly describes most music really. I just thought it funny that the CDs got left!

Final result:
    Jesus 2, One Direction 0
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Never tire of this

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    mike_l said:

And obviously the exploitation of young girls for profit.

I quite like that bit actually.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe Jesus is going to put them on the straight and narrow now they have some Christian CD's?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Clarky said:

they have a team of top writer / producer types behind them... so I'd say they're about as good as they can be..

given all the backing and knowhow they have behind them, they only need to be "good enough" to be made to sound extremely good..

such is the industry...

so how good / bad are they? it just don't matter, you'll never find out

As good a reply as I have ever read.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited June 2015
    I think you were very lucky.. just think if the thieves had taken the 1D CDs your sister in law might by now be facing a charge of mental-cruelty coz crims have their rights too!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    They are shit, shit shit shit shit shit shit shit. They arent a band, they are a collection of nice looking boys created by a collagen pumped megalomaniac.

The music isn't made by them it is made by committee using every cynical trick in the book. The industry is fucked and the greedy bastards at the top have fucked it up.

I hope their plane crashes into a giant whirlpool in the centre of the atlantic ocean, preferably with their fanbase in it.

Other than that i quite like them
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    They are good looking lads, although I'm sure the clothes and haircuts have a large part to play in it.  Zayn Malik was the best one and now he's left!  

That Meghan Trainor and Charlie Puth song is far worse than anything 1D have  ever put out.  
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    I don't like them.

I also find it Ironic that a band called One Direction are starting to go their seperate ways.......

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    They are good looking lads, although I'm sure the clothes and haircuts have a large part to play in it.  Zayn Malik was the best one and now he's left!
    They're the Take That of their generation, and I'd put a small amount of money on Zayn being the new Robbie...

d8m said:

I also find it Ironic that a band called One Direction are starting to go their seperate ways.......
    And that their last album as a five-piece is called "Four" :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    ICBM said:
    They're the Take That of their generation ....
    Not really, Gary Barlow wrote all the songs, and very good songwriter he is too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    edited June 2015
    ICBM said:
    They're the HIV of their generation.
    Fixed

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Better than rap, folk and modern jazz. Any jazz, actually.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom