How bad are One Direction?

What's Hot

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2431
    Better than rap, folk and modern jazz. Any jazz, actually.
    I can see quite a strong link between One Direction and scat myself...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Pretty dire.

That said, they're in the Millennium Stadium this Friday, while the Manics are not even half a mile up the road in Cardiff Castle at the same time.

It's a sad fact that 1D are going to play to a much, bigger crowd...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    and all the real musicians declare that it's not real music etc 
    cos it's someone else's writing… someone else producing.. they just sing a bit and do as they're told etc
    but the marketing and production works and so they make real money… lots and lots of it..

whilst all the real muso's slave away mastering their art..
    and make a couple of quid down a local boozer.. lol…

sadly, the music industry is exactly that… an industry..
    and it knows how to make money..
    upon coming to the realisation many years ago that being the best player you can possibly be has sweet fa to do with success.. 
    a lil' Clarky got his heart well and truly broke..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    ICBM said:
    They are good looking lads, although I'm sure the clothes and haircuts have a large part to play in it.  Zayn Malik was the best one and now he's left!
    They're the Take That of their generation, and I'd put a small amount of money on Zayn being the new Robbie...
    I haven't taken much notice of their "real" career, but I do remember them on X Factor before they were even shoe-horned into being a group - and Zayn couldn't really do anything much at all.  Harry's the only half-decent singer.

I'm not a Robbie Williams fan, but the one thing he's always had is charisma.  I'm not seeing that from young Zayn.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I'm maybe exaggerating a bit ;). But I think he will have a solo career too.

I am actually quite a fan of Robbie, but his didn't start too well, and a lot of people laughed at him for leaving Take That at the time - he was seen as the cheeky one who couldn't really sing or write. They were wrong.

It is true that Gary Barlow is a very good writer as well.

What I really meant was that 'Zayn leaves 1D' will be seen by their generation of fans in the same way as 'Robbie leaves Take That' was to theirs twenty years ago. No doubt they will have a reunion tour in about another fifteen...

In the mean time my daughter has taken the opportunity to buy up discounted 'five' 1D merchandise :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Robbie was lucky he got to write with Guy Chambers. 

As for One Direction, I hate Harry Styles so much. I would enjoy punching him.
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    Not really, Gary Barlow wrote all the songs, and very good songwriter he is too.
    ICBM said:
    It is true that Gary Barlow is a very good writer as well.
    Actually having just picked up a copy of Gary Barlow's first solo album 'Open Road', I'm going to take that back. It's unbelievably dull and bland.

Not remotely in the same league as any of the One Direction albums.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    As long as I'm not forced to listen to Hip-Hop, I don't really care.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Their music, like many of their contemporaries is a loss leading, profile raising promotional expense. It's not about selling records, it's calendars, perfumes, happy meals and false eyelashes.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2015
    holnrew said:
    He was also lucky to get to sing a really great song - "She's the One", originally by World Party so written by Karl Wallinger - that no-one knew about so everyone thinks it's his song. In fact, Guy Chambers worked with Karl Wallinger so he may be the reason Robbie Williams did it.

The original's a million times better - it sounds like a lost Beatles track or something.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    Normally I'm quite good at ignoring teen pop sensations.

Something about that lot, though, really annoys me. Them and that Bieber twat.
  • Bucket said:
    holnrew said:
    He was also lucky to get to sing a really great song - "She's the One", originally by World Party so written by Karl Wallinger - that no-one knew about so everyone thinks it's his song. In fact, Guy Chambers worked with Karl Wallinger so he may be the reason Robbie Williams did it.

The original's a million times better - it sounds like a lost Beatles track or something.

Sorry about the thread ressurrection but WP have been one of my favourites since the late 80s, and some of their stuff was what I used to teach myself to play.

The story of Robbie Williams and She's the One is a very tangled web indeed. Guy Chambers recorded the Williams version of the song with the other members Karl Wallinger's band, hence the two versions sounding pretty much identical. However, they negleged to tell KW that they were doing it. To compound all this, it wasn't until last year that Williams finally admitted publicly that he didn't actually write it (he's previously claimed otherwise).

I understand that KW eventaully accepted it (the royalties probably helped), but there's no doubt that being credited at the time might have boosted his profile and helped his career.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • I thought Harry Styles was good on Jools Holland and Graham Norton recently. Seems to be writing his own stuff though I know there could be a team doing it. I assumed he'd quit OneD.
    Oh bugger, replying to a resurrection... shuffle.
    I assumed he'd quit OneD.

Finger on the popular pulse. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16014
    I still think Mc Busted are more the ticket
    ......or was that a Mc Flurry ?
    edited January 2020

To compound all this, it wasn't until last year that Williams finally admitted publicly that he didn't actually write it (he's previously claimed otherwise).

I understand that KW eventaully accepted it (the royalties probably helped), but there's no doubt that being credited at the time might have boosted his profile and helped his career.
    Hardly. Karl Wallinger is listed as the songwriter on Williams' album - I have an original copy from when it came out, so this isn't something that's been changed recently.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    I doubt this Forum's opinion of 1D will put a serious dent in their fan base :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    No, but the passage of four and a half years does ;).

I don't hate 1D - I found that when I listened to the albums they were quite well-made pop music, and the band themselves didn't seem offensive. But that was before the family's biggest 1D fan got a bit older and decided she didn't really like them any more :). (She's into a whole lot of much more interesting stuff now, and can be found listening to anything from Panic! At The Disco to Frank Sinatra... not bad for a 13-year-old.)

ICBM said:
    Rocker said:
    No, but the passage of four and a half years does ;).

I don't hate 1D - I found that when I listened to the albums they were quite well-made pop music, and the band themselves didn't seem offensive. But that was before the family's biggest 1D fan got a bit older and decided she didn't really like them any more :). (She's into a whole lot of much more interesting stuff now, and can be found listening to anything from Panic! At The Disco to Frank Sinatra... not bad for a 13-year-old.)

There'll still be a big enough fanbase to sell out their inevitable reunion tour in 10 or 15 years' time.  Especially since the original fans will make up the numbers by dragging along their own pre-teen daughters.

Oooh, we all realised what great mates we are and how much we'd missed each other, they'll all say.  Except Zayn, obviously.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11680
    ICBM said:

I don't hate 1D -

Four years ago you quite liked them.

I could never forgive Harry for leaving either.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...