Larrivee , a step up?

I ve got the chance to pick up a larrivee om 02 at a reasonable price. I currently play a Taylor big baby which I like but I would have to sell it to get the larrivee. I hear nothing but good things about all their guitars but my question be would it be a big improvement over the Taylor. I ve got a bit of a drive to go try it so I thought I d ask the collective wisdom before I take a long drive.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    yes,  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    should be a big difference
  • Definitely worth a travel. Big baby's are great guitars I've had one and really liked it . I now have a gs mini also great as a second travel couch recording guitar. As a main acoustic or one and only I would swap my gs mini for a larrivee if I was in your shoes . Pro quality and sound at great price.
  • My first big nam acoustic was a Taylor 410, discovered Larrivees a few years later and to me, they are a step up from Taylors, i know I might be in the minority re that opinion, but Larrivees are more responsive, tone wise, both Larrivees and Taylors are more modern sounding than traditional like Martin. Where Larrivees score over Taylors are that they are better balanced tone wise accross the spectrum than Taylors and more subtleties. I find Taylors have a very direct sound that is good at cutting through a mix but to me, they have no subtlety. The Larrivee "2" series is their entry level, nothing fancy or ornate and usually spruce/mahogany combination. The OM series is really versatile, perfect for finger picking, but also quite strummable. I have an OM09 and use it for a variety of open tunings - where it also excels (DAAEAE, DADGAD, CGCGCD) - as well as conventional tuning. So no surprise if I say that the OM@ is well worth a drive to try out. It will be a few leagues above the Big Baby Taylor. My other Larrivees ar a CO9 and TSB SD 50.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    edited October 2013
    I used to own a Baby Taylor :-)  and it made me smile every single day I owned it but believe me Larrivee guitars are a MASSIVE step up from your Big Baby Taylor. Dont get me wrong, Im not being disrespectful to TayIor Guitars as I currently own Taylor 414 CE and its an absolutely amazing guitar. What I am m saying though is that the Baby and the Big Baby Taylors are value for money, tuneful, made with the latest most modern techniques etc . . but ultimately they are very basic guitars. No frills and nothing fancy. I tried the OM02 at PMT in Manchester ( or was it Leeds ??? ) and they are excellent . .  .
    Go for the Larrivee, it will be worth the drive and the money and Im pretty sure you'll never regret it. 
    Sometimes the the step up in quality can inspire your guitar playing . . You know it makes sense :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  !